Pirate's Cove» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First Session: Rum sure hits the spot rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
flag msg tools
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
Friday afternoon, after glancing through the mall's game store, I noticed some Ding and Dent games going for half off. After throwing some suggestiong at my brother, we settled on a half off copy of Pirate's Cove, unpuched, just the shrink wrap missing, for 25 bucks. Seemed like a good deal for a multiplayer game that had good reviews. Flashforward to tonight, I decide we can have a quick session. I introduced Railroad Tycoon to some people in the group a couple weeks before, so I had high hopes Pirate's Cove definitely hit the spot. The only slightly confusing part reading the rules, since we had no previous information about the gameplay, was that we didn't move around on the squares, but that was cleared up quickly.

The Scallywags:

Hunter (Me)
Chase (me bro)
Justin (an Aggie)
James (me first mate)

We started off slowly, got some treasure chests, upgraded our ships some, kept an eye out for the Black Ship carrying the Pirate Sisters. Justin looked like he was jumping out ahead early, so I tipped off his position to the Royal Navy, and they intercepted his vessel. Unfortunately, my brother was caught in the crossfire, and both were sent to Pirate's Cove in flames. Little did I know that James's ship was becoming a juggernaut before the game was over. I kept my ship going pretty average, I got intoa fight once, and lost, but I was getting a lot of cards, and to no ones knowledge, some goot Fame cards. Justin was steadily burying treasure, and James was out ahead for a few turns. All the while, my brother was getting pummelled, after little upgrading, and great damage to his guns, he totalled 5 trips to Pirate's Cove.

It seemed anyone had a shot, and the last turn everyone but myself ended up at Treasure Island to get some last chance Fame points, and I got myself a card with 2 fame points. It looked like James would win, but Justin revealed 8 points worht of Fame cards, in which he tied up James. However, I revealed 6 of mine, including 2 Rum, and 4 other 1 pointers, putting me one up on both of them, securing my win.

Thanks to the tavern, for resupplying my ship with the good stuff.

Final Tally:

1st: Hunter
2nd (tie): Justin and James
3rd: Chase

Was a great game, everything went over well, great components, pretty quick playing time that simulates playing less time than you actually did, and everyone wanted to play again. Definitely a good investment of 25 bucks I believe.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.