Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Norman Palmer
United Kingdom
Hereford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi all,

Looking for a card game, filler or main game or both.

I have played Machi Koro which is fantastic (they need to release that)
and Bloody legacy another great little game.

I like the look of epic resort.

I also got my hands on Battle for Souls great game.

so any ideas and "why" if you would be so kind

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb

Guillotine is one of our favorites. Despite the French Revolution backdrop and goal of collecting heads. The game has colorful charactertures of the "victims," it is fast paced and easy to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hanabi

The best gateway co-op.

Quote:
The Goal: To sort 5 different suites of cards into piles numbered 1-5 with no gaps or repeated numbers.

The Problem: You can't look at your cards. Ever.

Player's Turn: Play a card, discard a card, or use one of the limited clue tokens and give a clue to another player. Clues are either they have card(s) with a specific number, "These two cards are fours," or color, "These three cards are red." If a player makes an illegal play, the players earn one strike. Three strikes and the game ends with a score of zero. Players can earn clue tokens back by discarding or completing a stack.

But is it fun? The games that separate themselves are the games with dynamic moments. Like a player showing their initial hand and reviling 3 green 1s. The two other players laughing and the person holding the cards going, "What?" Two clues later and everybody is laughing.

The moment when there is a stack of green cards with a 2 on top. You and another player have a green 3. Both know they have a green or a 3 and see the other players green 3. The one player discards his and you suddenly know you have a green 3 and play it.

Knowing only one thing about a single card out of the hand you have and deciding it is worth playing since if it was worth discarding you would have hoped the other players would have clued you in. You play it successfully.

Asking a person what they know about their hand, finding out they are wrong about two of them, you only have one clue to give if that, and you can't correct them. There's only two copies of fours. Was one of the cards they had wrong a four? Yes, yes it was.

The ultimate fun one, there's no clues to give so you have to play, and you literally know nothing about any of your cards. And yes, this will happen often. Good luck.

Possible con: people who give out overly obvious clues.

Glory to Rome

IMO, the best pure card game. Each card has multiple uses. There is a avalanche type feel to the game where you start out playing one card to get a card and then eventually you play a card to chain things, and you grab something like all of the cards in the pool area. Plays well in all counts.

Con: OOP for now so copies will be difficult to find.

Star Realms

The new kid on the block. Pure deck builder with a sci-fi theme and built around direct conflict. The game has 5 variants(multiplayer, 2-5 vs. 1, etc.) with additional one(s)(co-op) included in promos that are suppose to be accessible soon. Each box plays 2 players, but for every box you buy you add two to that count. At $15 for retail, it is a cheap pick up and easy to grab more than one to play with more than 2.

Con: Demand seems to be far higher than supply as it just came out so it can be harder to get but will be easier at some point. I simply had CSI send me an e-mail to let me know when it was coming back into stock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marvin Ramirez
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Star Realms

Super easy to learn but has lots of replay value

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Palmer
United Kingdom
Hereford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all

I will check all of these out.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.