Popular Tags: [View All]
R.J.
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am playing against my 3 year old, and this situation came up.

What do you do if a coconut lands in your own cup?

Leave it there? If so, it may matter when the game is over and we count up coconuts?

I would say remove it but the Rulebook says nothing.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This happened to us twice yesterday. We just kept them in the cups. Seemed to work well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Peterson

Layton
Utah
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leave the coconut in your own cup.
It is a way to end the game faster. If a player does not build a pyramid, the winner is the player who has the most Coconuts in the cups on their play mat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We laugh a little at the interesting shot and leave it in the cup. As you score them in the end if a pyramid isn't built, it could be an interesting end-game strategy for securing a coconut win....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.J.
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like that is the consensus!

Will leave it in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Little
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hi.We play that you cannot put coconuts into your own cups. Why? Some clever kids decided to only shoot coconuts into one of their cups and thus try to win by having the most coconuts at the end. The game really devolved once this tactic came into play: get one cup and just load coconuts into and hope to win the game that way. This ruling solved that problem and all players were once again trying to build the pyramid or stopping others from doing so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
M Little wrote:
Hi.We play that you cannot put coconuts into your own cups. Why? Some clever kids decided to only shoot coconuts into one of their cups and thus try to win by having the most coconuts at the end. The game really devolved once this tactic came into play: get one cup and just load coconuts into and hope to win the game that way. This ruling solved that problem and all players were once again trying to build the pyramid or stopping others from doing so.

But if someone does that, they just make that cup a target for the other players. They'd just steal that cup in my group....

I'm not sure you need a rule to disallow this... it's a poor strategy if the players go after that cup like they should.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Little
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hi. We disallowed it because it became, for the most part, a game of solo coconuts, with players--middle schoolers--only playing into their own cup, quite easily and quickly running down the supply of coconuts, just to see who could get the most in before the supply ran out. It became the only objective of the game. Not much fun after the novelty wears off. Yes, the cup can be stolen, but for the most part the race to end the supply by filling their own cups was a less risky strategy, knowing that their own cup was a closer shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
OCD with the Letters in the Right Order!
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
M Little wrote:
Hi. We disallowed it because it became, for the most part, a game of solo coconuts, with players--middle schoolers--only playing into their own cup, quite easily and quickly running down the supply of coconuts, just to see who could get the most in before the supply ran out. It became the only objective of the game. Not much fun after the novelty wears off. Yes, the cup can be stolen, but for the most part the race to end the supply by filling their own cups was a less risky strategy, knowing that their own cup was a closer shot.

I think I would play another game if they fell that quickly to a boring alternative. It is certainly not the most effective winning strategy and someone who worked to get those cups would soon win. I would focus on recommended that before nuking the whole spirit of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.