Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert R
United States
Smithfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anybody know how these discs are made? I purchases some different sizes of wooden dowels and sliced a few discs to size, but they just don't feel right. My dowels are poplar. Maybe it's oak? And I can't seem to get the paint right. Of course, all I have tried is flat spray paint. What kind of paint is it? How is it applied? How do they make it slide so well? I support this game 100%. I am all in on the KS with all add-ons. I own the third edition with all expansions. But I want to experiment with some variants that would require some sizes, shapes, and colors not present in the base set. Anyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Knutson
United States
Alexandria
VA - Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how they are cut. But I'm don't think that they are painted. I think that they are dyed. You might try fabric dye to color them.

Edit: Kindly disregard this post, as clearly I didn't know what I was talking about! whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChronoRogue wrote:
I don't know how they are cut. But I'm don't think that they are painted. I think that they are dyed. You might try fabric dye to color them.

They're definitely painted. I would guess acrylic with a clear coat. it could be an enamel, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert R
United States
Smithfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not so sure about that, Jeremy. I'd assume that dyes would still show the wood grain. The game discs look painted to me. But I've never used dyes on wood. Have you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Chris, they are painted.

Peace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron West
Canada
Greater Toronto Area
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Painted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert R
United States
Smithfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Aron! If anybody would know, it would be you. If it's not too much trouble or some sort of trade secret, I'd love to know the type of wood and type of paint. Or at least if it's an acrylic paint and the type of finish. Matte, satin, semi-gloss? Is there a top coat? If so, what is it? If it's not supposed to be public info, I totally understand. Either way, it's an awesome game. I hope you guys have lots more success with it. If I wasn't afraid of the wrath of my wife, I'd jump on that "meet the designer" pledge on the KS for your game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a good discussion:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/384399/what-to-paint-wooden-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.