Walter Gottlieb
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard that the iOS version of Ascension will stop being supported after Ascension Online comes out. If I get the DLC expansions for iOS Ascension, will they be unusable once the app stops being supported?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
luiginumber1 wrote:
I heard that the iOS version of Ascension will stop being supported after Ascension Online comes out. If I get the DLC expansions for iOS Ascension, will they be unusable once the app stops being supported?
Not quite...

You'll still be able to play the game offline just fine with any # of IAP/expansions you've purchased. However, Playdek will shut down their servers, so games online games vs. other players on the iOS version won't be possible when that occurs.

Another thing to watch out for are the precautions we need to take to ensure we'll be able to play this once this is removed from the AppStore:

1) Gaining access to the app itself...
Someone said that you can just keep a local copy on your hardrive by using the ITunes backup transfer utility? I haven't tried this yet, but this thread is a good reminder of that.
Not sure if backing it up to iCloud works, as I'm not completely sure if your device just grabs a copy from the AppStore, or if it was it's own copy from your personal iCloud.

2) gaining access to the IAP...
someone said that the local backup process described in #1 also retains IAP, while others say no. If not, then the app is sort of worthless, since it's the expansions that provide a lot of replayability.

3) Being able to run the app...
2 years down the line, let's say we're now on ios8. Well, with Playdek no longer supporting the app, the updates that many devs do when a new ios version comes out is often needed to make it compatible with the new OS. This means you either won't be able to update your current iDevice, will have to let go of Ascension, or leave an older Iphone/Ipad/IpT in order to have both Ascension, and the latest ios.

Long term, you can hold off this theoretical ios8 for a year or a few years, but eventually, ios8 will become obsolete that you'll need to keep an older device.

Not sure here, as I'll have to do more research. I'd like to assume that the Ascension Online will work well on PC, will work well on Android, can play vs. AI without internet access, but if not, iOS version will be my fall back plan. If it does have those features, I'll be able to just switch over to the Android version, and perhaps even play RoV and DU on top of the existing fare, plus even more promos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
When's this online version going to come out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Ascension (iOS)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.