Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Urban

Des Moines
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two questions about siege breakouts:

1) For besieged force within a fortress, the rules state: "Players may choose to attempt a breakout of a siege starting the turn after the siege begins and if the besieging player has not already declared an assault."

What the rules don't state is if the breakout attempt requires a command be expended to do so or not.

Follow up question -- if a command is required, is a leader required within the fortress to move allow all units within the fortress to sally forth to attempt to break the siege, or can all units attack out from the fortress even when they have no leader?

2) The rules also state: "The breakout player may support the battle with a relief force and the besieging player may reinforce."

Does the relief force or besieging reinforcement need a command to provide support? That is, does the relief/reinforcing forces have to have been activated for movement with the play of a command card and moved in the movement phase, or does the siege breakout somehow initiate a "reaction movement phase" somehow where nearby forces can rush in.

If the answers to #1 and #2 are both "command points are needed", then a minimum of two commands need to be expended to allow a besieged force to attempt to breakout along with a relief force moving into the area for support, right? (Meaning a Winter Offensive is of no use to attempt a breakout attempt with a relief force since only 1 army can be activated.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mario p.
Italy
Venice - Treviso
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For what I rememeber you do need a command point to make an autonomous breakout, but if a reinforce army comes to fight "under the walls" the besieging enemy, then it's just the relief army needs a command point, and the army besieged automatically (i.e. with no cost) breaks out and reinforce the battle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Draker
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you do not need a command to initate an attempt to breakout or to storm a fortress. Commands are only used to move units or armies, add steps to fortresses, or place new units from the forcepool. Movement that results in newly contested cities require a battle. Besieged fortresses can be activated for combat each card play with player 1 deciding and announcing first intentions to storm or breakout. I hope this is clearer and makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Urban

Des Moines
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clarifying that, Ron.

So I was right when using my Winter Campaign to move a relieving force to a besieged fortress then telling my opponent I should be able to have the fortress defenders join in the battle as part of the same action.

Excellent!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.