Subject: [Amazon] - Alien Frontiers (4th ed.) $60 + FS rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cartchamp
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alien Frontiers

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0048G9LDE/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=...
5 left

Also 4 copies in stock at Cardhaus ($60).
http://www.cardhaus.com/catalog/board_games/alien_frontiers_...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Tipp City
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was $50 a few weeks back when the first got their shipment. Both Amazon and Game Salute were selling for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Renwick
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was waiting for Alien Frontiers to become available, but then I was able to pick up Kingsburg and the expansion for $25 from a flea market.

Can anyone comment if these games are too similar to warrant owning both?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
snowren24 wrote:
I was waiting for Alien Frontiers to become available, but then I was able to pick up Kingsburg and the expansion for $25 from a flea market.

In both games you roll dice and then place them. That's about the extent of the similarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cartchamp wrote:

Maybe the $60 versions have rocket dice while the $50 don't. I sure hope Game Salute hasn't pulled a fast one and upped the price. My FLGS quoted me $49.99 when I pre-ordered.

I was supposed to pick up my copy from my FLGS this past Friday, but it didn't show from ACD. The FLGS owner told me that now ACD has no info on arrival time and shows none available. What the...?

Combined with the printing error on the 4 ed. board, I'm rapidly losing my enthusiasm for a game I thought I'd have in-hand before Christmas.

Sigh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sant
United States
Easton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
$60 for this game qualifies as a hot deal? wow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'll save you a seat at the table!
mbmbmbmbmb
snowren24 wrote:

The theme and cards really set up two different games. The only consideration is how much do you like the worker placement dice mechanic.
Be sure to buy the expansion for KIngsburg, it makes it much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Renwick
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TriColoredTiger wrote:
snowren24 wrote:

The theme and cards really set up two different games. The only consideration is how much do you like the worker placement dice mechanic.

I try to stay away from buying games with very similar mechanics, even if the theme is very different.

The game I bought for $25 came with the expansion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
TriColoredTiger wrote:
snowren24 wrote:

Reading comprehension is hard laugh

Ooo...maybe I'm being mean, but this made me LOL.

(emphasis mine)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Dang
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edelen wrote:
Cartchamp wrote:

Maybe the $60 versions have rocket dice while the $50 don't. I sure hope Game Salute hasn't pulled a fast one and upped the price. My FLGS quoted me $49.99 when I pre-ordered.

I was supposed to pick up my copy from my FLGS this past Friday, but it didn't show from ACD. The FLGS owner told me that now ACD has no info on arrival time and shows none available. What the...?

Combined with the printing error on the 4 ed. board, I'm rapidly losing my enthusiasm for a game I thought I'd have in-hand before Christmas.

Sigh.

No, rocket dice doesn't come until later in the year, and it's a KS thing. The KS backers who asked for an early shipment didn't get them yet, so no way will it have the rocket die.

And I think your FLGS has been very generous in the cost. The MSRP of the game is $75. They're still taking pre-orders for $60 on their own site. I believe Game Salute does a similar thing with Mayfair and "price fix" their products. You don't really see Game Salute games on any OLGS, and if you do, it's not that heavy of a discount.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Perry
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snowren24 wrote:
[q="TriColoredTiger"][q="snowren24"]
I try to stay away from buying games with very similar mechanics, even if the theme is very different.

The game I bought for $25 came with the expansion!

If you only want one game where you roll dice and "do something with the dice", then since you already own Kingsburg, you should skip Alien Frontiers, To Court the King, Roll Through the Ages, Can't Stop, Lords of Vegas, Castles of Burgundy, Troyes, Vegas, Yspahan, Formula De, Winner's Circle, Settlers of Catan, Quarriors, King of Tokyo, and Dice Town... for starters.

If what you actually do with the dice matters, then those are all pretty different games.

To be more specific in the example you asked about -

In Kingsburg, you use your dice to buy resources which you can use to build buildings. Only the total value of the dice matters. The buildings can give you benefits in rolling, defense against marauders, and victory points. You get victory points for defeating the marauders, for building the most buildings, and some buildings give you ways of getting victory points.

In Alien Frontiers, your dice are space ships that you land in various combinations to perform different actions. Not only the value of each die matters, but also pairs and sequences. The actions are acquiring resources, stealing resources from your opponents, building more ships, buying special cards and settling on a planet. The special cards mostly give you abilities in altering the dice values. The scoring mechanism is primarily area control on the planet - 10 points wins.

In other words... other than rolling dice, the games have almost nothing in common in theme or mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.