Subject: Time Raider - How useful is she? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Norm Al
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I got my copy of SFDF last week and this past weekend I was able to play with some friends. Played a couple games, found some combinations that we thought were awesome (hello 8 Power Shielded First Mate) and others we had a harder time working with (hello... miskatonic apes...?)

Anyways, one of the cards we couldn't figure out the best use for was the Time Raider - The Tier 2, 3 Power Time Traveler minion - which has the ability (This might be slight paraphrasing, don't have the card in front of me) "Talent: Place one card from your discard on the bottom of your deck". Now most games of our games don't last long enough for someone to go through their deck unless they have a faction that allows rapid deck thinning (wizards/plants/etc), so putting a card on the bottom is moot as we'll usually never seem them again. So I'm wondering what uses the Time Raider really has.

Here's what I came up with:

As mentioned above, if you have the ability to rapidly deplete your deck, you can slow it down near the end and pretty much determine what your draw will be by using the Time Raider(s) to put what you want to draw on the bottom of a really thin deck.

If you have searching abilities you can keep re-searching your deck for the same card. Here's a list of the cards that let you search your deck, please let me know if I missed any (I have ? next to the card names I don't remember the names exactly):

Sprout[Plants] (with Cave of Shinies/Field of Honor this seems like the best use)
Venus Man Trap[Plants]
Budding?[Plants] (Where you can look through your deck for a minion with the same name as one that's in play)
Scry[Wizards]
Doppleganger[Shapeshifter]
G.E.L.F[Shapeshifter]
Transmogriphy[Shapshifter]

If you have deck shuffling abilities you could potentially redraw those cards you just put on the bottom, not guaranteed, but there's a chance. Here's a list of those, again please let me know if I missed any (I have ? next to the card names I don't remember the names exactly):

Winds of Change[Wizards]
New Acolytes?[Innsmouth] (All players shuffle all minions from their discard into their decks)
It begins again?[Minions of Cthulu] (Shuffle any number of actions from your discard into your deck)
Microbot Reclaimer[Robots]
1.21 Gigawatz?[Travelers] (Shuffle all minions or all actions from your discard into your deck)

Can anyone think of any others?

Seeing this list (even if I missed some) it seems like an ability that has very limited degree of usefulness, although its still 3 powered, which sometimes is enough to win you the game. So can anyone think of any other use for this card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, notice that since it's a Talent, each Time Raider can place a discarded card each turn. So you can get a fair amount of cards there.

Second, the Time Travelers have a couple of cards that let you shuffle the deck, so they won't stay at the bottom for too long.

That's what I think Time Raiders are mainly for: to set up reusing lots of your cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norm Al
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's true, I figured she was there for card reuse, but without shuffling the deck its not that useful. I remember 1.21 Gigawatz shuffles your deck, are there any others from the Time Travelers?

Here are the actions I remember: (I don't remember the names and I don't want to attempt to go off memory as if I use the wrong name it'll just confuse people)

- Return any one card in play to its owner's hand.
- Return a minion you have in play to your hand and play it again as an extra minion
- After a base scores replace that base with a base from the discard pile.
- Shuffle all minions or all actions from your discard into your deck.
- +1 Action, +1 Minion, +2 Cards and put [This action] on the bottom of your deck.
- (This one I'm a little hazy on) After a base scores put all of your minions that were on that base back into your hand (or shuffled into your deck) instead of putting them in the discard
- Play on a base, Ongoing: This base cannot cap. Destroy this action at the start of your turn.
- ???

Given that most factions have 10 actions, with 2 of them being repeated, I think I'm missing one action and 2 of the ones that I listed are repeated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Post
United States
Covington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jadedbacon wrote:
That's true, I figured she was there for card reuse, but without shuffling the deck its not that useful. I remember 1.21 Gigawatz shuffles your deck, are there any others from the Time Travelers?

Here are the actions I remember: (I don't remember the names and I don't want to attempt to go off memory as if I use the wrong name it'll just confuse people)

- Return any one card in play to its owner's hand.
- Return a minion you have in play to your hand and play it again as an extra minion
- After a base scores replace that base with a base from the discard pile.
- Shuffle all minions or all actions from your discard into your deck.
- +1 Action, +1 Minion, +2 Cards and put [This action] on the bottom of your deck.
- (This one I'm a little hazy on) After a base scores put all of your minions that were on that base back into your hand (or shuffled into your deck) instead of putting them in the discard
- Play on a base, Ongoing: This base cannot cap. Destroy this action at the start of your turn.
- ???

Given that most factions have 10 actions, with 2 of them being repeated, I think I'm missing one action and 2 of the ones that I listed are repeated.

You are missing It's Astounding. Play an action from your discard as an extra action.

Time Travelers are weak because their playstyle is muddled to match their theme. A mix of replaying actions, replaying minions, and cycling the deck to get your Time Walk and strong minions back. Raider falls into this last category.

In my extensive plays with Time Travelers, it is my experience that the best use for Time Raider is to put your best minions under the deck (So long as you aren't using Zombies, and not Spectre). Time Travelers are good at reusing actions from the discard, so putting them back in the deck would be silly and slow your cycle down. You don't want to do it for crappy minions, as they will slow your cycle too.

You are also missing A LOT of cards that allow shuffling, and also there are a lot of decks that can cycle trough in a 4 player game.

Robots: Reclaimers shuffle, and they cycle fairly well.

Wizards: Not only cycle really well, but Scry and Winds of Change Shuffle.

Apes: Monkey See Monkey Do shuffles, and they cycle semi well if you protect missing link. Great way to potentially get 2 cyberbacks

Shapeshifters: Gelf, Transmogrify, Doppelganger all shuffle. Imagine putting an old Doctor When or Gelf under your deck, and doing Eh Really to Doppelganger. Immediately get him back and Doppelganger back.

Spies: You can easily cycle through the deck with this combo, almost twice. They key is to not get slowed down by weaker cards. When you spy, Get rid of anything not a captain, mole, repeater, or time walk. Repeater From q with love a lot. I won with this combo last night!

And finally, the best combo I have seen to help TT so far........

PLANTS! Plant-TT is probably the best I have seen. Tiger Lily's cycle well, Sprout, Budding, and Venus Man trap shuffle. Most importantly, they are great for playing the many minions you are likely to have in hand due to jumpers. You can instagrow a lot, and replay blossom a lot. Blossom/Jumper is by far the best combo for TT I have seen thus far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norm Al
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jadedbacon wrote:
If you have searching abilities you can keep re-searching your deck for the same card. Here's a list of the cards that let you search your deck, please let me know if I missed any (I have ? next to the card names I don't remember the names exactly):

Sprout[Plants] (with Cave of Shinies/Field of Honor this seems like the best use)
Venus Man Trap[Plants]
Budding?[Plants] (Where you can look through your deck for a minion with the same name as one that's in play)
Scry[Wizards]
Doppleganger[Shapeshifter]
G.E.L.F[Shapeshifter]
Transmogriphy[Shapshifter]

If you have deck shuffling abilities you could potentially redraw those cards you just put on the bottom, not guaranteed, but there's a chance. Here's a list of those, again please let me know if I missed any (I have ? next to the card names I don't remember the names exactly):

Winds of Change[Wizards]
New Acolytes?[Innsmouth] (All players shuffle all minions from their discard into their decks)
It begins again?[Minions of Cthulu] (Shuffle any number of actions from your discard into your deck)
Microbot Reclaimer[Robots]
1.21 Gigawatz?[Travelers] (Shuffle all minions or all actions from your discard into your deck)

Yeah I had figured a lot of shuffling and deck searching. The Sprouts + Time Raider on Cave of Shinies/Field of Honor seems like the most optimal use of Time Raider. I'll have to give that a shot next time I play.

I figure that Time Travelers + Wizards would be a pretty solid combo as that gives an extensive amount of card drawing. When your deck gets low, start using Time Raider(s) (If you have multiple even better) to stack your draws. If you have no cards left in your deck and you use Time Raiders x 2 to put two cards there, you get to cherry pick your draws every time which would be amazing!

Edit: So next time I try Travelers I'm going to go with either Plants or Wizards as both seem to play off of the Travelers strength the most... or shapeshifters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard pocklington
United States
California
flag msg tools
Time Raider is pretty much the worst strength 3 Minion in the game.

I played Time Travellers twice on the weekend, once with Wizards then with Aliens. I found no use for the Time Raiders I drew and always played another minion when I had one. Her power is limited, might have an impact in the future, but always gives up the ability to do something useful now. I could not see a point where I would choose to play a Time Raider instead of an Invader.

Alien Time Travellers were the stronger pair, as some of the Alien actions are just great and thus good fodder for the Time Travellers ability to replay discarded actions. This deck was great fun at foiling the enemy, sometimes bouncing several of their cards back to their hand at once.

I found Wizard Time Travellers relatively weak, as while I was always able to do something, the two decks didn't really have a lot of power to win bases in the end.

After the two games, I have decided I really like the Time Traveller faction. They are not super powerful, but lots of fun and very flexible, giving you plenty to think about every turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norm Al
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ended up playing a 1v1 last Friday with the Time Travelers, pairing them up with Elder Things.

Final score was 16 for the other player, 10 for me.

But...

The other player had 13 Madness cards - Which meant he had -6 points, which tied him up with me, and the ruling was that the person with the least amount of Madness Cards wins.

The look on his face was priceless. As he was counting his madness cards I commented "man, you'd need 12 or more for me to win" and then he dropped number 12 followed by "@#$% 13!"

Oh, how I laughed (He had been playing Bear/Aliens and was spending most of the game either destroying or moving my minions, while I was playing Insanity over and over thanks to Repeater Perfect and the action to put a minion from your discard on top of your deck, so the whole match was pretty much us just screwing each other over)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johann Stralau
msg tools
posterchild21 wrote:

Spies: You can easily cycle through the deck with this combo, almost twice. They key is to not get slowed down by weaker cards. When you spy, Get rid of anything not a captain, mole, repeater, or time walk. Repeater From q with love a lot. I won with this combo last night!

Super super fun. I also won 2 out of 2 games with them some days ago. You might think this combo does not work due to lack of power, although not easy to play, it is awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.