Subject: Point of no return: Too many games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hildegunst von Mythenmetz
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey folks,

I have a problem and I'm sure some of you might be in a similar situation or already solved such thing. Here it is:

I am a board game fanatic. I started playing boardgames again only like 3 years ago and up to now I have about 100 games (expansions excluded). I love to unpack new games, learn the rules and do the first game.

But then there are plenty of games I would love to replay but the problem is: I rarely do!
Why?
Because I got and get too many new games!

Don't understand me wrong, I know it's kind of superluxury problem but on the one hand I love to get new games to get to know them and on the other hand I want to stick to only few games which can be played over and over again. My girlfriend plays many 2player games with me and I have a family we visit every 2 weeks to play family games we all enjoy. They do like playing new games aswell so I can come up every time with a new one. I have another gaming group with an owner of a boardgameshop so we try new games everytime he brings up so he can explain it to his customers. Right now I have no time for a third gaming group to focus maybe few games or let me say I don't want to have another weekly group since I lack time for other things aswell and don't want to get my girlfriend sick

So what are my options?
Let us say - for example - that I wan't to play Tzolkin, Castles of Burgundry, Stone Age, Pantheon, Through the Ages, Eclipse, Galaxy Trucker, Dungeon Lords and Race through the Galaxy more often (just a sample size now). Just to play every game once with my family would take 18 weeks and then I still don't have it played more often. Is there something I can do EXCEPT getting a new group?

Maybe someone has a mental trick like: Only play one game whole time until nobody likes it anymore, then take out next?

Right now I am trying to put all games into boxes that I rarely want to play and let them vanish out of my sight Then repeat this procedure until I only got - lets say - 3-5 games for each player count to play left. When I got less options to play then I have to play them more often. Since I am kind of a collector I don't want to sell my games or give them away, I just want to own less games to play right now so I have an easier and smaller choice of what to play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Some games are good once a year. Some with the right group. Some you play to death for three months, then shelve for five years and go back.

Having a large collection does sometimes promote 'too many choices, can't choose any'.

If one person in a group has a sudden desire to play a game, we usually go for it.

Otherwise, simply enjoy what you want at a given time. Play. Don;t fret about what you're not playing. It will hit the table when its ready. When you get super frustrated something hasn't played in 30 months, if it was a good enough game, you'll be glad to grow back into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman Kowalewski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I own only 11 games, (Mage Knight came today! ) but i see the problem and will try my best to avoid having too many games. I try to learn from mistakes of others in this metter, however the greatest battle, with myself, is yet to come. Since i joined bgg, November 2013 my colection grew by 100%. It's fine, everything is under control. whistle

I love exploring games, creating strategies and discusing them. I've played Peurto Rico about 30-40 times i guess. This is my first game and now after many games of stagnation it has slowly moved from a table to a shelf. I still play it from time to time and have fun but other games are waiting for me to explore.

Over all i think that the best way is to play a game intensively for some time. It is hard since even when you love a game, not everyone must feel the same way. Forcing somebody, who may even enjoy one game of X, to play it over and over is unfair. Everyone should have fun so unless everyone is enthusiastic about one game you need to pick just a few of them(for e.g each person picks one game and then they are played in a certain way), for everybodies enjoyment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
You should enter 2014 Challenge: Play 10 Games 10 Times Each, and possibly The 100 Play Challenge: In Support of Deeper Exploration of Games (Update: Now with GeekGold!). Those would encourage you to play your favorite games more, and get rid of overlaps / similar games.

cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonya ~
United States
California
flag msg tools
How about asking your family to choose which games they would like to play? Although it is exciting to learn new games, maybe your family would also like to replay games that they have already learned and started to figure out strategies for.

You could give your family a list of 15 games -- 10 that they have already played before and 5 new games. Ask each person which 2 games they would like to play during the game nights in the next couple of months. If you want, you could ask them to choose one old game and one new game (or to have at least one of their choices be a game that the family has already played together). Then bring only the games that your family voted for until all the games they chose have been played once. It will save you from agonizing over every decision of what game to bring each week. And I think it will make your family happy to have a voice in choosing what games you play together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Sell your games to friends. You can still play it with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Some games are good once a year. Some with the right group. Some you play to death for three months, then shelve for five years and go back.

Totally. I used to think that, if my desire to play a game grew while I wasn't playing it, that I must be fooling myself-- looking back with rose-colored glasses, forgetting what was wrong with the game. And sometimes that's true! But sometimes, you remember what was good about a game, and you just aren't in the mood for more of it right away. Or you grow into a type of game, and suddenly want to go back to games you didn't fully appreciate before.

On the other hand, if you have a game and just never feel the need to play it... I think it's okay to get rid of a game just because you haven't played it in a while. If you haven't played it in two years, that means it's been the wrong game for the situation *in a wide variety of situations*. It's okay to hold that against a game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
But then there are plenty of games I would love to replay but the problem is: I rarely do!
Why?
Because I got and get too many new games!

This practically describes everyone on BGG. Here's what I recommend. Find out what sort of games you like. Euros? Wargames? Abstracts? Then look at the people you play with. Do they like those games as well? How many do you play with? Are they new?

Also, group games that are similar and then keep the best, most-played one and ditch the rest. I had a collection of maybe 60 games and I've pared it down to about 10 or so I regularly play.

When a new game comes out, you can totally read about it, but you have to ask yourself questions. Does this game do something different than my other games? If it's similar to my other games, does it do what they do better? If not, then you don't need it just for the sake of variety.

I had a bunch of battle games at a time:

Risk 2210 A.D., Risk: Star Wars – The Clone Wars Edition, Axis & Allies, Nexus Ops, Neuroshima Hex! and Rex: Final Days of an Empire.

I ultimately thought about it and considered which games actually got played with the people I was with. I also considered game length, game complexity and so on. I stuck with Rex and got rid of the rest.

When new games come out, I will look at them, but a part of me feels like it's yet another game the hordes will buy unquestionably. I've been gaming for a while and I find I'm drawn to mastery and finesse in a game which comes from playing it repeatedly, over learning new rules and stumbling around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.