Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Smash Up» Forums » Sessions

Subject: May The Factions Be Ever in Your Favour rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My oldest daughter likes reading and being on facebook more than gaming but some weekends she asks to play something and last weekend she chose Smash Up as she had seen I had recently bought the Science Fiction Double Feature Expansion.

First we started with The Obligatory Cthulhu Expansion which I have had since Christmas but not yet played.

I chose Minions of Cthulhu + Zombies and My Daughter chose Elder Things + Robots and we used the bases from the expansion only.

The Servitor of Cthulhu and Whispers in Darkness where my favourite cards as they enabled me to get back my zombie actions such as Grave Robbing and They Keep Coming from the discard pile. This then made it easy to get my minions back from the discard pile and this combined with Tenacious Z's ability meant I could get minions out quickly and easily.

I used Complete the Ritual a few times to stop my daughter winning a base.

My Daughter found it easy to get the Shoggoths out as Microbot Fixer combined with Microbot Alpha soon had power up to 6 on a base. The cheap numerous robots enabled her to get Elder Thing out easily as well. She liked giving me lots of Madness cards and the combo of Hoverbot and Byakhee or Mi-Go was annoying .

My daughter was winning untill I managed to score Miskatonic University and then Asylum a bit later enabling me to get rid of the Madness cards in my discard pile and hand and pull out a win.

We liked some of the new bases such as Plateau of Leng which enabled my daughter to get loads of robots out quickly but consequently she didn't like Antarctic Base which stopped this trick.

We have a query about Destroy abilities with R'lyeh if you choose a minion to destroy to get the victory point we assumed you couldn't also say you had destroyed it for it's ability such as Servitor of Cthulhu (was this right?). We where not sure if we enjoyed the new madness cards or factions so we gave it another go.

------------------

This game I had Innsmouth + Robots and my daughter took Elder Things + Ghosts as she liked giving me the Madness Cards

My Daughter liked playing Incorporal on the Shoggoth and using Ghostly Arrival but found she couldn't get her hand low enough to use a lot of the Ghost factions abilities.

I liked the way I could quickly get the Robots and Locals out but soon found I either had a hand full of locals or not the right combo of robots on bases to beat the high power Elder Thing faction minions.

We did not find many combos with these factions and although my daughter won we decided we would rather play without the Cthulhu madness cards so chose none Cthulhu factions for our next game.

------------------

The next game involved me with Bears + Pirates and my daughter with Plants + Monkeys and we used the bases from Science Fiction Double Feature Expansion.

My daughter used Sleep Spores a lot to weaken my minions and enjoyed the combos of Sprout + Baboom + extra action as well as Venus Mantrap + Furious George and lastly Water Lily + Missing Uplink giving her lots more cards to use (we laughed at the though of the Water Lily being the missing Link

I won this game quite quickly however as I found High Ground to be very powerful along with Sea Dogs and as There was only Deep Roots and Going Bananas to get rid of it my daughter didn't have them out at the right time and lost a lot of minions. I also found Cub Scout + Shanghai to work well too.

--------------------

The next game was me with Time Travellers + Aliens and my Daughter with Plants and Monkeys again.

This game became a race to see how many minions my daughter could get out before I bounced them all back to her hand again. The combo of Doctor When + Supreme Overlord + Abduction + Time Walk + Collector + Beam Up became very silly over time and I spent more time bouncing stuff back than scoring and my daughter couldn't score as she never had enough minions out so in the end we abandoned this game and called it a draw as my daughter was getting fed up with it. We both agreed that Time Travellers + Aliens would be better in a multipler game but I have been banned from using this particular set of Factions together in any two player games we have shake

I have since named the combination of Time Travellers and Alien Factions the Tigger Deck

-------------------

The last game we played was my daughter with Plants + Robots and me with Monkeys + Dinosaurs as I just wanted some factions with raw power to see how strong I could make a minion.

My daughter liked using Sprout + Hoverbot or Sprout + Zapbot or Microbot Fixer to get minions out quickly.

I just tried to get King Rex out with Juiced Up + Shielding + Cyber Evolution + Flying Monkeys and then play Rampage on a base, this worked a couple of times but ultimately my daughter won by getting more minions on more bases quicker and scoring them.

Was great fun playing so many games in a row with my oldest daughter who suggested she would like to see some fantasy factions with Elves, Unicorns and Centaurs in or a Sea faction with Merfolk, whales, dolphins and Leviathans in.


5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bey
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice reports. thumbsup

The Obligatory Cthulhu expansion is the one expansion I just didn't see as obligatory myself, not liking the madness card addition as it simply didn't add any value to an already great game. It just seemed to bog it down.

It's sort of like the Corrupted expansion in Quarriors... An interesting concept, but most often just left out completely on gameday.

Base Game + 9000 + Double Feature = perfect Smash Up.

And I think your daughter is correct regarding the need for some more fantasy factions: I'd love some elves, dragons, demons, angels, etc...

Of course, a Pacifistic Hippie faction could be fun as well.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sacha cauvin
France
rouen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
we mostly play chtulhu on its own, great fun.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sacha cauvin
France
rouen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Snotwalker"]Nice reports. thumbsup

Base Game + 9000 + Double Feature = perfect Smash Up.


yes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun games! Some comments:

Rindel wrote:
My daughter was winning untill I managed to score Miskatonic University and then Asylum a bit later enabling me to get rid of the Madness cards in my deck and pull out a win.

Miskatonic U. gets rid of Madness cards from your hand and discard pile, but not from your deck.

Quote:
We have a query about Destroy abilities with R'lyeh if you choose a minion to destroy to get the victory point we assumed you could also say you had destroyed it for it's ability such as Servitor of Cthulhu (was this right?). We where not sure if we enjoyed the new madness cards or factions so we gave it another go.

I believe that while behaviors like destroying can have multiple consequences, they cannot have multiple causes. Both R'Lyeh and Servitor of Cthulhu tell you to destroy a minion, and I believe you cannot use the same minion to fulfill both commands. And even if you could in principle, you couldn't in this case because R'leh happens in the Start of Turn phase and SoC in the Play Cards phase.


Quote:
My Daughter liked playing Incorporal on the Elder Thing and using Ghostly Arrival but found she couldn't get her hand low enough to use a lot of the Ghost factions abilities.

Why put Incorporeal on Elder Thing? It's redundant.

Quote:
This game became a race to see how many minions my daughter could get out before I bounced them all back to her hand again. The combo of Doctor When + Supreme Overlord + Abduction + Time Walk + Collector + Beam Up became very silly over time and I spent more time bouncing stuff back than scoring and my daughter couldn't score as she never had enough minions out so in the end we abandoned this game and called it a draw as my daughter was getting fed up with it. We both agreed that Time Travellers + Aliens would be better in a multipler game but I have been banned from using this particular set of Factions together in any two player games we have shake

That does sound problematical.

Quote:
I just tried to get King Rex out with Juiced Up + Shielding + Cyber Evolution + Flying Monkeys and then play Rampage on a base, this worked a couple of times but ultimately my daughter won by getting more minions on more bases quicker and scoring them.

In several different games in addition to Smash Up I have learned that if I try to set up the perfect combo too hard I lose overall.

2 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Barliman wrote:
Fun games! Some comments:

Rindel wrote:
My daughter was winning untill I managed to score Miskatonic University and then Asylum a bit later enabling me to get rid of the Madness cards in my deck and pull out a win.

Miskatonic U. gets rid of Madness cards from your hand and discard pile, but not from your deck.

Quote:
We have a query about Destroy abilities with R'lyeh if you choose a minion to destroy to get the victory point we assumed you could also say you had destroyed it for it's ability such as Servitor of Cthulhu (was this right?). We where not sure if we enjoyed the new madness cards or factions so we gave it another go.

I believe that while behaviors like destroying can have multiple consequences, they cannot have multiple causes. Both R'Lyeh and Servitor of Cthulhu tell you to destroy a minion, and I believe you cannot use the same minion to fulfill both commands. And even if you could in principle, you couldn't in this case because R'leh happens in the Start of Turn phase and SoC in the Play Cards phase.


Quote:
My Daughter liked playing Incorporal on the Elder Thing and using Ghostly Arrival but found she couldn't get her hand low enough to use a lot of the Ghost factions abilities.

Why put Incorporeal on Elder Thing? It's redundant.

Quote:
This game became a race to see how many minions my daughter could get out before I bounced them all back to her hand again. The combo of Doctor When + Supreme Overlord + Abduction + Time Walk + Collector + Beam Up became very silly over time and I spent more time bouncing stuff back than scoring and my daughter couldn't score as she never had enough minions out so in the end we abandoned this game and called it a draw as my daughter was getting fed up with it. We both agreed that Time Travellers + Aliens would be better in a multipler game but I have been banned from using this particular set of Factions together in any two player games we have shake

That does sound problematical.

Quote:
I just tried to get King Rex out with Juiced Up + Shielding + Cyber Evolution + Flying Monkeys and then play Rampage on a base, this worked a couple of times but ultimately my daughter won by getting more minions on more bases quicker and scoring them.

In several different games in addition to Smash Up I have learned that if I try to set up the perfect combo too hard I lose overall.



Ah! Barliman you found all the errors I put in there on purpose.....honest whistle

When I scored Miskatonic U I had most of the Madness cards in my discard pile and the few I had left I used Asylums ability to get rid of.

I meant to say about the destroy abilities that you couldn't choose both only one or the other.

It wasn't Elder Thing but Shoggoth my daughter was putting Incorporeal on.

Setting up the perfect combo in the last game we played was something I was trying to do personally and didn't really mind losing I was just having fun.

I have edited the report to reflect the errors I made.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick` G

Indiana
msg tools
mbmb
Barliman wrote:

I believe that while behaviors like destroying can have multiple consequences, they cannot have multiple causes. Both R'Lyeh and Servitor of Cthulhu tell you to destroy a minion, and I believe you cannot use the same minion to fulfill both commands. And even if you could in principle, you couldn't in this case because R'leh happens in the Start of Turn phase and SoC in the Play Cards phase.

Thanks for saying this. I was looking for it through the forums when it had been mentioned before, and I couldn't find the related posts. I love getting multiple benefits, but I don't want to inaccurately abuse them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.