Hide
11 Posts

Tuscany: Expand the World of Viticulture» Forums » General

Subject: 2 players gameplay improvement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Allen Chan
msg tools
I read a few reviews about viticulture about the difficulty playing with 2 players. For example Critical Review says that two players gameplay has a lot of blockage that makes it frustrating.

Does Tuscany or 2nd version of Viticulture make it a more enjoyable experience for 2 players?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played my first 2p game of Viticulture with the original rules a week or so ago, and I mitigated the blockage by "getting up earlier" when I had the chance. You have a guaranteed shot at going first every two rounds, so I didn't find it problematic. Was I annoyed when my opponent took the crucial action I needed? Sure, but you can get shut out of an action with more players, too, if you don't make it a priority. …and making it a priority includes taking weaker "wake-up" benefits in order to be earlier in the turn order.

That said, Jamey keeps assuring me the updated rules aren't as "brutal".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Allen,
Early reviews mentioned this at 2 players, but for a while now the rules were updated to include the use of the "grande worker" in every game.
The Grande lets you take a slot already taken by your opponent.

I have played many two player.....and it's great , smooth and above all a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zefquaavius wrote:

That said, Jamey keeps assuring me the updated rules aren't as "brutal".

Nathan, did you play original rules without using the grande worker?
If so , and your copy has no grande in it ( only original kick starter copies with Aboriculture had the grande) , try using a pawn or similar to mimic the grande.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tip, Mark, but I'm sure it all will be resolved when I am playing my very own Complete Collector's Edition, instead of a friend's First Edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zefquaavius wrote:
Thanks for the tip, Mark, but I'm sure it all will be resolved when I am playing my very own Complete Collector's Edition, instead of a friend's First Edition.

While you wait for the CE to arrive, give the PnP version of the 2nd ed. of Viticulture a spin. The files are available from Stonemaier Games' website. That's how I got convinced that Viticulture (and Tuscany) was my kind of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the way to go Nathan!.
I think Viticulture combined with Tuscany is going to be a new bench mark in board gaming
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Chan
msg tools
Thank you Mark. This solves my only concern before getting the CE of Tuscany on Kickstarter =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your question, Allen! As Mark mentioned, Viticulture originally was a little more brutal than it is now. But the second edition includes a grande worker that each player gets (in addition to 2 regular workers) at the start of the game, and the grande lets you take an action that's already occupied. This is particularly helpful in 2, 4, and 6-player games.

The 2-player game gets better when you have the extended board in Tuscany, which features some action spaces with bonuses for the 2-player game. Also, the special worker meeples in Tuscany offer a lot of flexibility in the 2-player game.

Thanks!
Jamey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernst Juergen Ridder
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying the PnP-Version of Tuscany with two players:

First game with Mamas&Papas and Patrones.

Second game with Mamas&Papas, patrones, adv. visitors, properties and extended game board (side 1). We began the game today and want to continue tomorrow.

Very great game, Jamey. Thanks!

Ernst-Juergen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ernst! You added quite a bit for the second game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.