14 Posts

Summoner Wars: Master Set» Forums » Strategy

Subject: When is it worth destroying a wall rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm wondering when it makes sense to destroy a wall. I've wanted to in my first few games, but at 9? health, I couldn't find the justification for spending attacks on a wall, while my opponent would have unanswered attacks against my units.

Additionally, does a wall turn into magic when destroyed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Cramer
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer your question, yes, walls become Magic to whoever destroyed it.

Strategy, I can't help. I'm not very good at Summoner Wars...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, regular walls do turn into magic when destroyed. That's one reason to destroy them, especially in the late game. Other reasons include:

Eliminating summoning points for your opponent.

Eliminating cover for your opponent's summoner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. L.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does indeed turn into magic for the player that destroys it. Some factions like the guild dwarves excel at destroying walls and it can really hurt the opponents. One game I destroyed my opponents wall and the only other wall cards were the last two cards in his draw pile. By then it was too late of course. If you can get a strong champion in a good position behind a wall you can really annoy your opponent. The thing is though you can destroy your own walls on purpose to get magic. So if you are trying to destroy an opponents wall try not to leave the walls with one life or your opponent may grab it for magic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Dennard
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, walls do turn into magic when destroyed.

In terms of your first question, wall destruction is a very valid strategy, particularly when playing with the factions that do it well (Cave Goblins, original Guild Dwarves, Vargath, etc.). It obviously takes a lot of hits to do it, especially when you're hitting with low attack units, but if you destroy a wall, you've deprived your opponent of multiple summoning spots as well as a barrier for protection, and you gained a magic out of the deal. Taking out a wall early can leave the other Summoner with no place to hide and no way to bring new units onto the board, particularly if it takes a few turns for them to draw another wall.

ninja ninja's everywhere!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Diehl
United States
Junction City
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
The eerie war chant emanating from the morning fog set chills down every spine. "Lah, lah, la lah, lah, lah."
mbmbmbmbmb
Mind, I only play very casually. That being said I attack my opponents walls almost every game. I tend to put myself in the situation where I can only attack one or two of their units and I have someone next to their wall. Rather than waste that third attack I usually smack their wall a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Papasmerv wrote:
Mind, I only play very casually. That being said I attack my opponents walls almost every game. I tend to put myself in the situation where I can only attack one or two of their units and I have someone next to their wall. Rather than waste that third attack I usually smack their wall a bit.

This makes sense to me, if you can't use all 3 attacks on units, it makes sense to put it into a wall.

I can see the point to the other suggestions, but it still seems like in the 3+ turns it would take me to kill a wall, the enemy would have already killed off my units for magic, with out their units taking a wound. So unless you've already got your opponent on his heals, then you can stop to kill a wall, but wouldn't you want to press your advantage instead and chase his summoner. I guess I'll just have to try it and see what happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
*Punches poor player card*

Certain factions lend themselves more to destroying walls.

Attacking walls is often best coupled with surrounding them so reinforcements can't easily arrive on the scene.

When I would attack an opponents wall:

1. If there are no other viable targets.
2. If it's already damaged.
3. If they only have one wall.
4. If they're turtling and I need to coax them out.
5. If I'm a faction that's particularly effective at attacking walls.
6. If it's early enough in the game to be worthwhile.
7. If it's in an aggressively advanced position and/or I fear (assassin) units getting summoned on top of me.

When I would attack my own wall:

1. If it means I get the magic and not my opponent.
2. If I'm desperate.
3. If it's blocking my route (Aggressively placed walls can be used defensively by opponents).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
*Punches poor player card*

Certain factions lend themselves more to destroying walls.

Attacking walls is often best coupled with surrounding them so reinforcements can't easily get on the scene.

When I would attack an opponents wall:

1. If there are no other viable targets.
2. If it's already damaged.
3. If they only have one wall.
4. If they're turtling and I need to coax them out.
5. If I'm a faction that's particularly effective at attaching walls.
6. If it's early enough in the game to be worthwhile.
7. If it's in an aggressively advanced position and/or I fear (assassin) units getting summoned on top of me.

When I would attack my own wall:

1. If it means I get the magic and not my opponent.
2. If I'm desperate.
3. If it's blocking my route (Aggressively placed walls can be used defensively by opponents).

Thanks! This is just the sort of reasoning I was looking for. Also, I'm now on your poor player card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
squegeeboo wrote:
Also, I'm now on your poor player card?

You'll have to make yourself your own card
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noble Knave
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd consider myself to be somewhere in the top 20% of players based on how I do in tournaments etc (rarely win, usually place high), and I can and will try and destroy Walls in pretty much every faction I play. I think a lot of players overlook that value.

The trick is to do what's called crowding: block as many of your opponent's summoning places off of Walls as possible, with the goal of keeping them completely unable to Summon. Kill off any Units they manage to get out, then whittle their Walls away at leisure.

Typically, a Wall will fall extremely quickly if you prioritize it; 9 Life from something that can't attack you back can vanish in short time if unanswered. It's rare that I set out specifically to destroy a Wall, but if given the opportunity it's a huge advantage in your favor. I've won a lot of games where I was able to take out all 3 of my opponent's Walls before they could get their Champs down, and then the game was mine. It requires playing aggressively and knowing when to attack Walls, but it can be extremely effective.

It's all a matter of playstyle, really. Since I like to aggro and control the board by crowding, wall destruction naturally comes with my playstyle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Magno
Argentina
flag msg tools
Unless you are playing sneeks or Mountain vargath, targeting walls seems a waste of time and a short way to lose the game.
if you are playing sneeks or sunderver, you can quickly surround a wall and do a lot of damage if the opponent let you do it and can be worth it.
Generally avoid attacking walls though, they are too hard to take down, and the opponent can just replace it for the cost of 1 card.
For that reason most agressive faction are weaker in summoner wars. The only way to setup a strong attack is with rune mages, or with wall crowding ! (Swamp orcs and Torgan)
Since I would like attacking walls to not be a waste of time i play with my own variant the game http://boardgamegeek.com/article/14983397#14983397
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
And just destroyed my first walls, 4 player game where I was guild dwarves. Got both assault the walls first draw, and on my next turn one of my opponents had a second wall out. Still not sure that I'd ever try unless I was guild dwarves/vargath, or had my opponent on his heals and didn't want to get stabbed in the back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I won a game as Grognack yesterday, and destroying one of my opponent's walls was a big boost. He had placed his walls defensively, and taking out one of them meant I could better crowd his walls to limit his summoning, and more easily get at his summoner. Plus, 1 magic!

TO are good for incidental wall destruction, because Ragnor and Fighters can attack walls to try to set off Fury, allowing them to speed into enemy territory. Not to mention Krung's wall-bashing Wild Swings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.