Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
matt lang
United States
chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
hey everyone!

so i have been playing L&G for a while now and i really like it. we have run into an issue that we really can not figure out.

when only one lady goes into a boutique to shop, she can pick out whatever she wants and as much as she wants, since no other ladies are there, and give her gentleman the bills in the evening and then he decides what to buy.

what is the strategy there?

we have been playing that any lady that goes into a store alone just takes EVERY piece of clothing and then gives it to her gentleman, they roleplay about which items are the best, without being too specific, and then the rest are discarded.

so what prevents a lady from just taking EVERYTHING in the store? the cards are all discarded that are not used, so why not take everything and then decide later?

we decided to play a game where after the items are chosen, what is NOT chosen stays in the store for the next day, and if its not picked that day, it stays in the store till it's bought or the game is over.

this gave a strategy of remembering what is in each store from previous turns and we also made a house rule that does not allow one to look at what is sold in the store before they enter and even how many of each item is sold. the player is only allowed to look at the Artesian cards that were used for each store to give them a sense of what could be in the store.

when we play with a larger group, this is really effective because one doesnt remember whats in the stores as easily from day to day.

i was just curious as to if anyone else came up with this confusion and how they dealt with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loic Lamy
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Darienlake wrote:
so what prevents a lady from just taking EVERYTHING in the store? the cards are all discarded that are not used, so why not take everything and then decide later?

Do you really think your husband is the best to choose your clothes ? If you pick everything, then this means you let him choose which one he'll paid, which one he'll discard without knowing your servants...

Anyway, your variant idea looks interesting ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt lang
United States
chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
thanks for the comment about my variant idea. its definitely a different strategy.

and while yes i DO agree with your point that the husband wouldnt know what your servants are, we have been playing with the roles a bunch and theres always ways of hinting very slightly within character that wont give anything away 100%, but it leaves hints so the husband has a SLIGHT idea.

EX: if u have a servant card that will get you more points if u have earrings (or something of that sort), "oh dear, but those earrings look marvelous though! and do you remember my cousin Betty who used to go out with Harold Jacobson the famous designer? well maybe i can give the earrings to him and he can spice them up a bit for me"

i understand what you are saying though. i guess it all depends on how far you want to Role Play.

thanks for the response, Loic Lamy!! i absolutely LOVE this game, its unlike any other game i've ever played and everyone who plays it cant stop giving it positive remarks, so thanks so much for making it!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loic Lamy
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot

It seems I play more role play and less strategic than you do ^^ What I like in your variant is that it fits with the story (in the shops, some items from last season remain - you may even make them cost 100$ less turn, because they are old items...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toad 008
Canada
flag msg tools
My group actually played your variant accidentally our first two games. We were in a rush to play, and missed that part of the rules. I agree, it adds more of a memory and strategy element to the shopping. The other change we made is that a soon as one person passes when 2 or more are in the shop, the shop is closed and no one gets any other items. I found that when there is like 10 items, if I only want 1 of them, it's still valuable to go into the store, grab one item, and the pass, closing it, so the other player can't pick up the 3 things they want from the store.

Overall, I found it very enjoyable, but I think for beginner players, following the rules as they are is the way to go. I think for advanced games we will stick with the items unpicked stay in shop, single pass means closed, and market value cards rotate. To me it just adds more things to think about and remember, which makes my decisions feel more valuable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.