20 Posts

Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: wounds, cards dying during story phase rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Azrael Blackthorn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Apologise if this has already been asked but I can't find it anywhere else.

Basically if a card takes a wound from during the story phase does it die Instantly there and the, sent straight to the discard pile and not contributing to any unresolved struggles.

For example,my opponent chooses to resolve combat struggle first, I lose and choose my son of yeb to take the wound, does he then go to the discard pile instantly as a result of being wounded. Or do I place a wound counter on him, and continue with the other icon struggles and discard him after all of them have been resolved. (I know his skill value isn't added at the end of story resolution, but the rule book doesn't state exactly when things die orif they still ccontribute)
Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Em
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First step is that you might be going about resolving stories wrong. If it is your opponents turn, he may decide which story to resolve first but the order of the struggles is mandatory - top to bottom. So regular story's get resolved in the order of Terror, Combat, Arcane and finally Investigation.

This is what makes your question so important - losing the combat phase means that you must assign a wound to one of your cards. A card with the invulverable trait cannot be chosen, any other card will receive the wound. If the card does not have the Toughness trait, it is instantly killed and sent to your discard immediately. (Albeit there may be effects to be resolved)

If it has toughness, and now has a number of wounds equal to the toughness amount plus one for the card itself, it is also killed and sent to the discard pile.

The point of this is that the first two struggles (terror, combat) can mean that your important characters might not make it to the final two struggles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Conlon
Australia
Berowra
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
Yep, as Cumber's confirmed, as soon as a character has more wounds than their Toughness, they are destroyed and placed in their owner's discard pile, and then would not be available to contribute towards subsequent struggles or to the final skill check.
From the rulebook under 'Resolving an Icon Struggle' - 'Combat Struggle':
"The player who loses a Combat struggle must immediately choose one of his characters (committed to that story) to take a wound, if able.
Most characters are destroyed (go to the discard pile) after taking a single wound. Some characters, however, have the Toughness keyword which allows them to take additional wounds before being destroyed...
"

And as Cumber's also rightly pointed out, your opponent cannot choose to resolve the Combat struggle first, unless they are using an ability to do so such as provided by Brette Wulffsen or Mask of Rakinui, or have used an effect to cancel or replace the Terror struggle such as provided by Alternative Historian or Daring Buju. Struggles must resolve in the order as listed on the story card (with any icon boosters adding extra instances of those struggles, immediately following the the first struggle of the matching type or, if there is no struggle of the appropriate type, resolved in the usual order of Terror, Combat, Arcane then Investigation).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azrael Blackthorn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks guys that makes alot more sense, I was pretty sure a card would die instantly but the rules were unclear. As for the way a story resolves, cheers for clearing that up, I got the game about 3 days ago and me and my wife hace played twice so very new to it. We're both MTG players as well so we're probably preempting rules working in a certain way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Conlon
Australia
Berowra
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
If you enjoy constructed card games like Magic then congratulations to you both on picking Call of Cthulhu, which is a brilliant one!

With your M:tG background, you may also find the following topic of interest - http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/index.php?/topic/14604-new-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azrael Blackthorn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks Jason. That link covers a few more issues I was having. Magic is great but as a CCG its just to expensive now. A LCG premise just seemed so enticing, and COC caters to my horror obsessive tendencies and it just lookslike it can be so much more tactical and cruel than magic. (only so many times a counter spell can be considered harsh)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"tactical and cruel" ... I'd call that accurate.

As a venerable LCG, I'm not sure how much less "expensive" CoC is, depending on what your completeness/competitiveness ambitions might be. But I was already having a great time with just a Core and a couple of expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if you somehow feel you cannot enjoy the game without owning every card ever made (which I don't think is true), the cost to obtain a full playset of Cthulhu LCG cards is still I believe significantly less than the cost to obtain a full playset of Magic cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azrael Blackthorn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
David, thats most definitely true there, with Tue expansions being deluxe rather than the asylum packs, a years worth of expansion packs is £100. To buy a box of magic cards (for every set released) costs £100 each, so it's 4x cheaper. And you kinda need to buy a box of magic boosters is pretty much. A necessity to get what you need. COC doesn't do that, I saw the keys to the gates expansion, saw its for yogs faction so didn't buy it as I don'tpplay that faction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azrael Blackthorn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Also another question if any of you know. Regarding asylum and deluxe packs,iI've heard buying asylum packs is now pointless as all the cards havebeen reprinted in the ddeluxe packs (except dreamworld asylum pack or something similar to that name) is this true and if so what expansion is best to start with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morn1ngstar616 wrote:
I've heard buying asylum packs is now pointless as all the cards havebeen reprinted in the ddeluxe packs (except dreamworld asylum pack or something similar to that name)

This claim is absolutely false. There are one or two cards that have been included in both an Asylum Pack and a deluxe expansion. Asylum pack cards have not been aggregated into bigger boxes, and there has been no announcement of any intention to do so.

ETA: A similar-sounding but accurate fact is that the early 40-card Asylum Packs (which contained some cards at 1x and some at 3x) have been reprinted in the later 60-card format (with all cards at 3x). Players are often cautioned against buying the earlier 40-card packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azrael Blackthorn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
That's the one, though someone refered to the 40 card packs as asylum packs.Ok in which case, out of asylum and deluxe packs, which ones would be best for 2 newbies (seeing as my wife and I aren't gonna be buying them separately unless they focus on a faction one of us play or contain a various assortment for all factions. for example I'll be buying any cthulhu or hastur focused packs)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both the old 40-card packs and newer 60-card packs are Asylum packs.

For a beginner the typical recommendation these days is that these are good things to buy early (in no particular order)

A second Core set
Secrets of Arkham (get the reprint due out soon)
Terror in Venice
Shifting Sands Asylum pack (especially if you want to play in tournaments, as this has the current set of story cards)

Deluxe expansions give you more cards per dollar (buying in bulk, basically) so for the most part I'd get these first.

Other than the faction-specific Deluxe expansions, everything else has an approximately equal number of cards for all the factions. Even the faction-specific expansions do have *some* cards for everybody, they're just MOSTLY for that faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azrael Blackthorn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thank you David. Just out of interest, why is a second core set recommende?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For consistency. The Core set's job is to show you the game, and to do that it wants to include a lot of variety of cards.

That's great, but it also means that there is only 1x copy of each card in the Core. In contrast, all the expansions are designed to come with a full playset of 3x copies of every card.

Putting more copies of a card in your deck means it's more reliable that you will get that card during a game. What would happen if you made a themed deck around Deep Ones and included just one copy of Devil's Reef that makes all your Deep Ones cost 1 less? In games where you drew this in your starting hard or perhaps turn 1-2 you'd do well. In games where you didn't draw until later or never, you'd probably struggle. That's an inconsistent deck. You can deal with 1x of some cards if they're not central to your strategy, but there are a lot of good cards in the Core that you'd like to be able to rely on a bit more.

So, buying a second Core to get 2x of these cards is sort of a good compromise. Now these cards are consistent enough for casual play, but you didn't have to spend for 3 Cores which most people don't want to do early on and honestly, at that point your cash is better spent picking up some other expansions. If you decide you want to play competitively then you can always come back around later. A lot of people never do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azrael Blackthorn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
That makes sense, I wasn't aware there was only 1 of each card in the core set, just thrown the factions together to make decks as I'll learn the abilities better by playing them rather than reading them. But thanks for clearing that up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azrael Blackthorn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Sorry for bugging you all again, but im having some issues with timing. Hastur faction event card despair had keyword response, stating that after you win an icon struggle by 2 icons, I can return a character with no attachments to its owners hand. By the rules I cannot play this card during the story resolution. When do I play this card.. Before story resolution after committing characters, or after all 3 stories have resolved?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After the stories have resolved. If you played it before resolution you haven't won the struggle yet and in addition, you wouldn't know whether your opponent might play another card before resolution that could change some icons or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azrael Blackthorn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks again. One last question, are responses mandatory. I know forced responses have to happen immediately when the requirements are met. But normal responses, can you choose not to activate them once the requirements are met, or do they have to be activated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it doesn't say Forced, then it's optional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.