Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Taoist, Pittsburgh Sports fan, and welcoming to people who are kind, from any walk of life.
badge
I have been playing games since the Atari 2600, Candy Land, Chuttes and Ladders, Go Fish, & the Apple ii. Supporting "the Geek" since 2006
mbmbmbmbmb
For my own curiosity, What is the best resource on active government disputes and protests, and national conflicts? I'm not offering opinions on any of it, because I have nothing close to an informed opinion.

I just want to educate myself better about at least the approximate number of things happening actively around the globe these days. Like I knew at least something happened since the turn of the century in the Egypts, Libyas, and Syrias of the world. But just recently I caught vague information about governments dealing with dissatisfied citizens in at least Turkey and Taiwan. I thought I saw something about a South American country that I cannot recall as well. Is Africa still dealing with several other nations in desperate situations?

Thus illustrating above how I'm woefully out of date and under-informed, you can see how I'm not really looking to engage in the usual forum shenanigans. I really want to know where I should be turning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rost
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it’s probably easier to start by mentioning resources that should be held in serious question. Avoid major news outlets--televised and print--accept as cursory overviews. I’m thinking of CNN, The New York Times, etc. Each of us has our own biases to be sure, and I for one am suspicious of sources like these because they often offer a strong pro-Western perspective.

Anyways, too much of that stuff reads like the moves in some socio-political nation vs nation chess match IMO: This nation enforced sanctions here which reuinted this group with another, which created pressure on black’s king-side rook... I want to know how people that live there are affected—the personal narrative seems to tell a much better story.

In this day and age you can easily find blogs by the people that live in those countries affected. Sure, they’ll have their own biases but if you read a few in tangent, you might start to put some pieces together to help you develop your own opinion.

Having said all of that, I ultimately recommend you just watch Fox News. You’ll get a fair and balanced view there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the SNR you want.

Loudest volume, here. SNR...is going to vary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stalin shot Kirov right in the hallway
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
If you can find time to listen to the BBC's twice-daily Newshour program, available in convenient podcast form, you'll find that the world stage becomes your soap opera, following major developments across the globe as they unfold, with a fair bit of history and analysis thrown in as well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/newshour
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dallas Tucker
Indonesia
Jakarta
flag msg tools
designer
(This space intentionally left blank.)
badge
What is the good life?
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know who runs it, but this is interesting: Global Incident Map

Redbeardin84 wrote:
I thought I saw something about a South American country that I cannot recall as well.

I think you heard about Venezuela. Good luck on your search for more information. I try to read articles from different sources and news organizations when I can. You can access a lot of major world papers online for free. Just look around and find a few that you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stein
msg tools
Foreign affairs. For theory there are a number of introductory texts on geopolitics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Wikipedia actually has a lot of interesting, liberal leaning, in rare cases blatant propoganda, information on many of these disputes.
spookyblast wrote:
I think it’s probably easier to start by mentioning resources that should be held in serious question. Avoid major news outlets--televised and print--accept as cursory overviews. I’m thinking of CNN, The New York Times, etc.

Hostile media effect in action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blogs, Twitter and face book. They have a high standard of editorial oversight and cannot be faked or lied on (at least according to RSP).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
This forum.

This is sage advice.

You must learn to weed out almost* all comments by the Truly Paranoid, then you have a fairly clear view of current events.

*Tripp, Drew, and BJ say something funny every once in while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
49xjohn wrote:

Sometime intentionally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald wrote:
49xjohn wrote:

Sometime intentionally.
Saucer of milk?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Taoist, Pittsburgh Sports fan, and welcoming to people who are kind, from any walk of life.
badge
I have been playing games since the Atari 2600, Candy Land, Chuttes and Ladders, Go Fish, & the Apple ii. Supporting "the Geek" since 2006
mbmbmbmbmb
The Poster who mentioned I should avoid reliance on American Media Outlets did come close to the emotions that set me on this quest. I don't think that any commercial domestic outlet is covering Domestic nor Foreign events with integrity to journalistic principles. And a lot of happenings seem to be getting passed over because some editor decided that Americans won't be interested in a given country at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.