Subject: March on the Tower and Skill Buying rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Ossar
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a normal turn, adding new skills to replace any that were bought during a player's non-combat phase takes place in the "Updating the Map" step, after the non-combat and combat phases.

When a March on the Tower is declared "each player performs a non-combat phase." Does that mean that skills that players buy during this final non-combat phase are not replaced? In other words, could the first player to act buy all the remaining skills, depriving other players of the opportunity?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graydon Schlichter
United States
California
flag msg tools
Jacob, great catch!

During the March, no player may train (buy) new skills or buy from the heap.

So, there are no fairness issues. Sorry that got missed in the rulebook.

Graydon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fletcher C.
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will this be making it into the errata section of the Mr. Card Game wiki?

Our group just kind of assumed that it was the downside to being the one to declare the march, since the person to the left gets to do their non-combat phase first, the person to declare the march first has the last chance of buying a new skills or a heap item. Seemed reasonably fair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graydon Schlichter
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hi F;etcher,

Interestingly that is a varient, that my design partner really favors. So you can certainly play it either way.

The trade-off is essentially this - If you allow buys, clockwise from the March Caller, there is fair bit of volatility that can be exciting. And there is the tactical element of "Do I call knowing I'll get last pick?"

On the other hand, depending on your play group, this can lead to a sort of stasis where everyone is concerned about getting last pick before the March and so no one calls one and the game lags on.

That's why I prefer to encourage the kind of gameplay which is "I need to call the march before someone else over takes me" rather than "if I call the march now other people will buy all the cool stuff and I'll hose myself".

But I can see how this may vary with table. If you wind up playing both ways I'd love to get your feedback.

Graydon
graydon@evertidegames.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess we tried another variant then: we assumed it refilled like normal after each player did their non combat stuff. Seemed to work out fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morneau
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:
I guess we tried another variant then: we assumed it refilled like normal after each player did their non combat stuff. Seemed to work out fine.

This is what we did too.

I can see how not allowing skill or heap buys during that march would work nicely too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:
Same way we did it. Basically "each player gets one more turn". Worked fine for us. I could see this being a problem when everyone knows what they're doing. It also seemed to be a bit of a fix for the "runaway leader" problem this game can have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.