Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Resner
United States
austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If not how do you run 5+ months behind on a **dice** game? Not like there's art design, etc. to work through..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lorence Syfargo
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, latest update is:

Update #75 Feb 28 2014
Good news!
16 comments Like 21 likes
Everyone likes good news, right?

Dice production is complete, and the dice are on their way to me.

This means we are on schedule for our latest estimate of shipping through April and May. I know it may sound like we're ahead of schedule, but please understand that there is a lot entailed in shipping, sorting, and packaging this many games.

I think this will be an exciting year for Potluck Games, and I am eager to get your games shipped to you as quickly as possible!

Thank you again for supporting Dungeon Dice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Resner
United States
austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fargy wrote:
Nope, latest update is:

Update #75 Feb 28 2014
Good news!
16 comments Like 21 likes
Everyone likes good news, right?

Dice production is complete, and the dice are on their way to me.

This means we are on schedule for our latest estimate of shipping through April and May. I know it may sound like we're ahead of schedule, but please understand that there is a lot entailed in shipping, sorting, and packaging this many games.

I think this will be an exciting year for Potluck Games, and I am eager to get your games shipped to you as quickly as possible!

Thank you again for supporting Dungeon Dice!

Revisionist history at work? KS page has delivery for Oct 2013..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Haglund
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rochambeaux wrote:

Again, check the updates. #73:

"Over the holidays we've received word from the factory that they will not be able to finish production before Chinese New Year (roughly the beginning of February). This is a big deal. To me this means it will not be finished until the end of February at best, at which point it may be a month before we receive it (the end of March), which means we will likely be shipping through April and May. This roughly adds four full months to the factory's previous estimate. They had estimated December, and I padded on two months to be safe."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Fuller
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rochambeaux wrote:
If not how do you run 5+ months behind on a **dice** game? Not like there's art design, etc. to work through..

Based on their transparency throughout the process, and their 70+ updates to keep backers informed, and the enormous success which leads to more units to make and ship, and all the add-on's, I have 100% confidence in waiting.

Besides, I'm one of the Dice Age victims. Five months is nothing compared to waiting for 33 months... with no actual guarantees anymore that backers will receive even one die in the game.

Check out their BGG entry for some legitimate complaints.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The short answer to the OPs question is "No." A slightly longer answer is "Not yet. Wait another month, it might be shipping then, or soon after."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Resner
United States
austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankysan wrote:
Rochambeaux wrote:

"Over the holidays we've received word from the factory that they will not be able to finish production before Chinese New Year (roughly the beginning of February). This is a big deal. To me this means it will not be finished until the end of February at best, at which point it may be a month before we receive it (the end of March), which means we will likely be shipping through April and May. This roughly adds four full months to the factory's previous estimate. They had estimated December, and I padded on two months to be safe."

The explanation makes sense but how do you build a business case and not take into account something major like the Chinese New Year?

The more KS projects I am familiar with the more Kickstarter is beginning to look like the early days of the tech boom where people threw money at companies/groups that did not have an inkling of how to do business or run a project.

It's sad because in theory KS is a great concept but it runs the risk of being rode hard and put away wet too many times...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure that it is not that they 'forgot' the new year.

They were probably originally told that it would be done before it, and were later contacted and told that it would be after.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Dalley
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rochambeaux wrote:
Frankysan wrote:
Rochambeaux wrote:

The explanation makes sense but how do you build a business case and not take into account something major like the Chinese New Year?

The more KS projects I am familiar with the more Kickstarter is beginning to look like the early days of the tech boom where people threw money at companies/groups that did not have an inkling of how to do business or run a project.

It's sad because in theory KS is a great concept but it runs the risk of being rode hard and put away wet too many times...

Rem original delivery date was Oct which is way ahead of Chinese New Year. The factory ran behind on production and ran into chinese new year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Potluck Games

Utah
msg tools
publisher
badge
I am answering only in the hope of being informative. So I hope it doesn't sound defensive.

If we had funded at our base goal, all the way up to 60k, we would have been able to deliver on time (or likely ahead of schedule).

When we shot WAY past that goal, my main mistake was remaining optimistic that we could still hit our goal, rather than immediately explaining that overfunding would result in delays.

From 60k to 140k we added additional dice. A lot of additional dice. This meant twice as many molds (which took twice as long). And our production went from around 50,000 dice to around 400,000.

Missing October meant that we hit the Christmas rush. Which meant that we hit Chinese new year.

As this was our first production, we did NOT anticipate this. I don't mind admitting that. This game could not have been produced without Kickstarter.

I am very excited to deliver the final product. And I appreciate every backer who helped make that possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stretch goals seem to be the death of KS timelines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Potluck Games wrote:
I am answering only in the hope of being informative.
As this was our first production, we did NOT anticipate this.

All that is entirely reasonable, especially for a first game. No worries at all here from my corner of the world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lorence Syfargo
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Potluck Games wrote:
I am answering only in the hope of being informative.
As this was our first production, we did NOT anticipate this.

All that is entirely reasonable, especially for a first game. No worries at all here from my corner of the world.

No worries also from my corner of the world

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luka Kovač Plavi
Croatia
Našice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Middle of the world, no worries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Resner
United States
austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Potluck Games wrote:
I am answering only in the hope of being informative. So I hope it doesn't sound defensive.

If we had funded at our base goal, all the way up to 60k, we would have been able to deliver on time (or likely ahead of schedule).

When we shot WAY past that goal, my main mistake was remaining optimistic that we could still hit our goal, rather than immediately explaining that overfunding would result in delays.

From 60k to 140k we added additional dice. A lot of additional dice. This meant twice as many molds (which took twice as long). And our production went from around 50,000 dice to around 400,000.

Missing October meant that we hit the Christmas rush. Which meant that we hit Chinese new year.

As this was our first production, we did NOT anticipate this. I don't mind admitting that. This game could not have been produced without Kickstarter.

I am very excited to deliver the final product. And I appreciate every backer who helped make that possible.

Thanks for the explanation - my original intent was in no way meant to be a "hit piece", just curiosity bred from observation.

Your explanation makes perfect sense and I think it would behoove EVERY KS campaign that relied on off-shore manufacturing/development or other "variable" providers to include a discussion about the business plan and how things like stretch goals and "extras" might impact the delivery schedule.

I may just be old fashioned but I've lived my entire professional career on "Under Promise Over Deliver" where it seems like most KS campaign (and businesses in general these days) do the exact opposite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
binary sunrise

Christiansburg
Virginia
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearing in mind that kickstarter projects are often run by 1st time creators, that stretch-goals are now inherent to the KS business model, and that the goal is actually to help them create a project (and not actually to deliver your product on a specified date), I always assume:
1) Projects will be late by a few months
2) Projects that hit many stretch goals will be later
3) Projects that were supposed to deliver anywhere near the 3-month Chinese New Year holiday will be *really* late

Ignoring the fact that these are often first-time creators, they are also dealing with small print runs in factories that might put them behind larger orders (or first-time creators not knowing how to strong-arm factories to keep their contract). In addition, unlike large board-game creators (not using KS), they have a *deadline* imposed upon them by Kickstarter. It's something that other companies don't have, so when a delay arrises, you don't notice that it's not on the store shelves for another few months because you weren't *expecting* it.

I say that as long as there is constant communication, progress is being made, and things aren't ridiculously late - give the creator some room to do what he can do to make a great game. I get the whole "but this isn't how things should work," but this is how KS works. Without stretch goals, you won't get a huge game. And if you get a huge game, you automatically have a longer production schedule than you would have had with a smaller game. KS isn't set up to change the reward shipping mid-campaign - so backers are often surprised when that date comes and goes, when they should have known it'd be longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romaric Delbart
France
Thiais
flag msg tools
mbmb
Shipping has started. Some backers have received their game :

http://imgur.com/a/lBiIx

They send the games from the highest pledge to the lower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.