Subject: 1821! Greek Revolution rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Epameinondas
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Today in Greece we celebrate the begining of the Greek Revolution on 25th March 1821 against the Ottoman Empire.

I have been trying to find a wargame taking place in the framework of that revolution but with no luck so far, apart from a miniature game that is not in my interests..

Are you aware of any boardgames covering this period and part of history?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Bartoo
msg tools
mbmbmb
None that I've ever heard of. I don't know enough of the history to even know whether it could be made into a good game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khan Doomy
Turkey
Cekmekoy-Istanbul
Istnabul
flag msg tools
mb
Zito to 1821! Zito h epanastsis!

Huzzah for the Revolution

No board-wargame but there was a set of miniature rules in Greek by the late Spiros Koumoussis called Eleutheria i Thanatos (Freedom or Death). He even produced a line of 15mm miniatures. Unfortunetly when he died it was stopped.

That said a savvy gamer could adapt rules for skirmish and lower level tactical gaming.

As for a boardgame. It would be tough to make it. The war was mostly sieges, ambushes, and attacks on fortified positions because of the war culture of both the greeks, and mostly albanian armies of the Ottoman Sultan. So not really a game were you move a lot of units. The interesting part IMHO is the political aspect.

If I were to predict the theme-style of game that could do a good job capturing something of themes and events of the revolution, than I would say it would be one of the State of Siege games. You playing the Greek rebels and trying to survive ottoman and egyptian attacks, infighting etc until the Great Powers intervene. That would be awesome. And it would be the only game available. So it should sell a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One key design challenge would be to model the Greeks' fratricidal instincts. After all, they fought a civil war amongst themselves in the midst of their war of independence...

KTravlos wrote:
it would be the only game available. So it should sell a bit.

Not sure whether that helps sales or not.

Looking at the BGG Wargame Top100 I can only identify the following games which might be on par in obscurity to a game on the Greek War of Independence:

Andean Abyss
Cuba Libre (possibly a tad less obscure, actually)
Angola

That's by my measure 2-3 games of equal obscurity (in terms of subject familiarity and wargame hobby coverage).

I don't think wargamers are all that adventurous. Just consider how many of the top100 fall into the following period categories:

WW2: 41
Napoleonics: 10
Fantasy: 7

...already 58%...

Antiquity (admittedly a pretty broad category): 7
ACW: 4
US War of Independence: 3
Seven Years War: 3
WW1: 2

That covers a whopping 77% of games. Add two broad categories as well:

Contemporary Warfare: 6
US vs USSR (Cold War & hypothetical): 5

...then you're at a whopping 88%!

You're then left over with:

Here I Stand
Virgin Queen
Maria
Sekigahara
Hammer of the Scots
Where there is Discord
Strike of the Eagle
Unhappy King Charles
Warriors of God
Britannia
Richard III

Not that these left-overs are necessarily obscure. As mentioned above, I think only Andean Abyss and Angola match the topical obscurity of the Greek War of Independence.

In any case, someone please design a game on the subject (so I don't have to)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any cool line from say Lord Byron that'd make for a good game title?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Epameinondas
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Some very interesting ideas in this thread!!! Thank you so much for the replies!

I believe as KTravlos already mentioned the most appropriate title for a relevant game would be

'1821: Freedom or Death'

Hope someone begins the project!!! I would be glad to help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This probably will require a depth of understanding of the topic that a lot of us don't have. Why not begin the project yourself?

And congrats on your anniversary of independence!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
For those interested some photos of the Military Parade taken from atop beautiful Athens Gate Hotel. May Greece continue to be free!

PS Also if you are ever in Athens, I highly recommend aforementioned hotel, wonderful location (Directly behind is the Acropolis, directly in front is Trajan's Gate and the Temple of Olympian Zeus), and wonderful people working there. Many I keep in touch with to this day and look forward to seeing on our trips to Greece. And the Athenian Game Group is awesome as well, quite a few wargamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khan Doomy
Turkey
Cekmekoy-Istanbul
Istnabul
flag msg tools
mb
Now good sir! I am not a game designer. But I tell you what. If some-one designs a State of Siege game, I am willing to pitch it to VPG, and I am willing to translate it into greek and pitch it to the Greek Company Kaissa that produces greek versions of boardgames.

To put it simply, I am willing to help make it work.

As for title, while "Freedom or Death" is all cool and great, I being a cynical person would prefer "By Fire and Axe" which was the slogan of one of the Greek rebels leaders (the greatest to be frank, Theodoros Kolokotronis) when the revolutionaries started torching those villages that had made peace with the Ottomans after the successes of the Egyptian army in the Peloponnese.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zaccardi
United States
Coral Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I love coincidence. I was reading up on the Greco-Turkish war of 1919-1922 earlier today and i was wondering if there was a wargame based on that conflict and found Ataturk!

I think the Greek-Turkish conflicts are an interesting study, but there are not many titles. I am into a game of The Siege of Constantinople at the moment. Perhaps some intrepid designers can start development on a title or two in this area?

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.