Popular Tags: [View All]
Van Fujishige
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm helping run the TableTop Game room at the local anime convention and want to run a few large games with anime/manga related questions. I tried e-mailing last week for support or any kind of format, but have not gotten a response.

Anyway, my questions are:

1.) Is there some special way to run it? I'm guessing 7 teams of 2-3 works best. Does any particular edition work well?

2.) What type of materials should I use? I haven't actually seen this question answered; a large white board, magnetic clips, the actual game board, a projector, a computer, something else? I need to purchase materials for it, and the convention is next weekend.

3.) I keep reading about the Game Show. I'm expecting more than 21 people per event; how is this run?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Lai
United States
Forest Hills
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
check out this file:
Wits & Wagers for Large Groups

it's not a perfect implementation (can't increase your bets) but it's good for a large group in teams. just need a laptop with excel and projector and something for groups to write down answers on. i use this with high school students and it works very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Van Fujishige
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
laiernie wrote:
check out this file:
Wits & Wagers for Large Groups

it's not a perfect implementation (can't increase your bets) but it's good for a large group in teams. just need a laptop with excel and projector and something for groups to write down answers on. i use this with high school students and it works very well.

Thanks for the quick reply! Unfortunately, I won't have access to a laptop or a projector for this convention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Warren
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Van,

Email me at luke at northstargames dot com if you need more detail than what I give you below.

1) Come up with the questions. Good questions are ones most everyone can make an educated guess about, but not actually know the answer. And obviously content that is interesting. A lot of trivia questions are booooorrrriinnggg. Make it fun.

2) You need a big dry or wet erase board to write up the answers so all the players can see them. I can Dropbox an answer board file to you if you want. You just need to have a printer create a dry or wet erase board of the file. Ours are about 6 ft long.

3) Get a stand for the big answer board.

4) Have a sidekick. Having an extra person run the show is a huge help. Someone to help crack jokes, keep things moving, and more importantly, help you distribute the payouts, cards, collect the cards, write the answers on the big board, erase the big board, etc... Things really slow down if you are trying to do it all by yourself.

5) Place the betting mat on a table where no one is sitting. Make sure people can easily walk up to it.

Then basically just act as emcee. We always do a practice question so everyone knows how the game works. Have one person from each team come up with their answers, have one person collect the cards/bets/winnings, but only after you have done the payouts. It is easier that way.

Overall, the questions should be the hardest part. Everything else is pretty easy.

Luke

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.