Subject: Is this game hard to beat or is it just me? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We tried playing Mission 1 four times now, with 4 agents each time {all except Hulk}. We use all the optional rules because we like the realism.

So yes to friendly fire, yes to close combat, yes to human view.

All of our tries ended up almost the same. Total party kills or 1-2 agents still alive only saved because we reached the 11th round.

We tried different approaches each time, a fast approach, a slow approach, hiding behind hills, trying to reach the furthest Teleporter first to destroy it before it amasses hordes of aliens and so on.

Even in our best efforts, we managed to get 2-3 rounds of relatively controlled action with minor damage which the Biotech kept under control but after a few more rounds the signals arriving are too much to be able to avoid getting them in LOS thus the board FILLS with aliens. It goes downhill after that. Xeno-betas have half an agent worth of hit points, some of them have energy armor, they attack twice sometimes all the while Spine critters keeping you engaged and even if you kill them they still splash damage you because of toxic blood. And even if this wasn't enought there comes the Xeno-Alpha that can deal 3-4 damage from across the map.

Moreover, for each single agent attack+movement, 2-3 aliens activate each turn. This is simply too much to keep up. To add insult to injury if any agent is caught out in the open wounded, the aliens all gang up on him, which means that spreading the damage to the whole team is not an easy thing to do.

We simply cannot see how this mission can be completed successfully without having significant luck with die rolls. Having an agent attack once and then 2-3 aliens attack each turn means that we are constantly in a losing downward spiral of doom.

I read and reread the rules, I don't think that we did anything wrong but it just feels that something is wrong. The aliens are tougher than expected. Some of them have 4 life AND Energy armor AND regeneration. They need 2-3 agents to focus fire on them to bring them down and even that may not be enough. Waiting 2-3 agents to bring down a single alien means that the team may receive an average of 3-4 attacks, maybe even more. It simply sounds impossible to win at those odds.

So I write this here to see or maybe understand what is going on. Is this game so difficult?

We really like the "realism" of the optional rules but I start to wonder if the missions were tested without some of them for balance reasons.

What is your experience with the first mission? Did you win it easily or relatively easy? Any tips or easily forgotten tactics that we may have missed?

It is difficult to start a campaign if your party gets wiped out during the FIRST mission..!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Phillips
United States
Knoxville
TN
flag msg tools
mbmb
Bowmangr wrote:
We tried playing Mission 1 four times now, with 4 agents each time {all except Hulk}. We use all the optional rules because we like the realism.

All of our tries ended up almost the same. Total party kills or 1-2 agents still alive only saved because we reached the 11th round.

We tried different approaches each time, a fast approach, a slow approach, hiding behind hills, trying to reach the furthest Teleporter first to destroy it before it amasses hordes of aliens and so on.

Even in our best efforts, we managed to get 2-3 rounds of relatively controlled action with minor damage which the Biotech kept under control but after a few more rounds the signals arriving are too much to be able to avoid getting them in LOS thus the board FILLS with aliens. It goes downhill after that. Xeno-betas have half an agent worth of hit points, some of them have energy armor, they attack twice sometimes all the while Spine critters keeping you engaged and even if you kill them they still splash damage you because of toxic blood. And even if this wasn't enought there comes the Xeno-Alpha that can deal 3-4 damage from across the map.

Moreover, for each single agent attack+movement, 2-3 aliens activate each turn. This is simply too much to keep up. To add insult to injury if any agent is caught out in the open wounded, the aliens all gang up on him, which means that spreading the damage to the whole team is not an easy thing to do.

We simply cannot see how this mission can be completed successfully without having significant luck with die rolls. Having an agent attack once and then 2-3 aliens attack each turn means that we are constantly in a losing downward spiral of doom.

I read and reread the rules, I don't think that we did anything wrong but it just feels that something is wrong. The aliens are tougher than expected. Some of them have 4 life AND Energy armor AND regeneration. They need 2-3 agents to focus fire on them to bring them down and even that may not be enough. Waiting 2-3 agents to bring down a single alien means that the team may receive an average of 3-4 attacks, maybe even more. It simply sounds impossible to win at those odds.

So I write this here to see or maybe understand what is going on. Is this game so difficult?

We really like the realism of the optional rules but I start to wonder if the missions were tested without some of them for balance reasons.

What is your experience with the first mission? Did you win it easily or relatively easy? Any tips or easily forgotten tactics that we may have missed?

It is difficult to start a campaign if your party gets wiped out during the FIRST mission..!

All of the optional rules *add* significant difficulty. Although they do add "realism", they make the game a lot harder than the default settings.

The game was tested/balanced with either no options or only the human view option (I don't have the rulebook in front of me to see which).

Try with some or all of the options off first - it took me 3 runs that way to beat mission 1. Once you get a good handle on the game and tactics, then try adding the options 1 at a time until you find the compromise between realism and difficulty that works for your group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mato Sato
Germany
Plankstadt
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mb
word

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey
United States
IN - Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
The game is extremely difficult, but I like that in a co-op. IMO, easy co-ops seem more like puzzles than games and are a bit boring. I love the suspense of not knowing we we're going to make it and the cheers that erupt when we overcome seemingly insurmountable circumstances.

It doesn't sound like you've done bad if you've managed to get a partial victory every time. Destroying that last TP is extremely difficult as the mission is designed to flood in waves of enemies the closer you get to victory.

My group did this mission the last weekend with the elite alien army expansion. It was very tense. We had destroyed 3 TPs and were on the closing in on the last when the event cards hit us with about 5-6 aliens in 2 rounds. As we approached the last TP(the bolt) the biggest hurdle was the number of aliens in the same area as the TP. We had to either kill all the aliens in the area or draw them away since you can't be engaged to destroy a TP. After attempting the former and suffering major loses we made a desperation move for the latter. Our hulk had just died and everyone was on the ropes. Our sniper made a sacrifice move by running in close enough to cause the Betas and Alpha to run when activated and took out a Spine Critter in the same turn. This move left him bleeding out but alive. More importantly the right close encounter cards were drawn and the aliens ran as intended. This gave our Biotech the space he needed to approach and destroy the last point. Victory!

But if you find the game too hard I would have to agree with Aaron. Try the game without the optional rules first. I would also recommend taking a hulk on the mission with you. It's a lot like a MMORPG in the sense that you almost have to have a tank, healer, and a dps to have a truly effective group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played mission 1 twice now. The first time was with three players and the second with four. We play with human view and kind of close combat (i.e., it's not in effect but no one fires out of combat because that is insane).

The first time we won literally at the last minute with one of the players having died and we were just able to ignite the last TP.

Game two was much easier. Our Infiltrator moved into position around the flank to the top of the board and took out one of the teleporters. The Hulk waded into combat and kept most of the bugs busy while the Marine got another teleporter fairly quickly. The Biotech helped the Hulk once and later kept the Marine alive as he we put to bleeding. as we closed in on the last teleporter we had a huge alien surge, but the Hulk's area effect and the HtH prowess of the Infiltrator led us to a solid victory about six turns in.

The biggest mistake we made the first couple of games was targeting the Infiltrator when we shouldn't. The camo ability is awfully powerful if used right. I also really like having the Hulk around since he can make himself a target and absorb a lot of damage while dishing out quite a bit himself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bowmangr wrote:

We really like the "realism" of the optional rules but I start to wonder if the missions were tested without some of them for balance reasons.

Well, I think that the more agents you have in the game, the harder the game actually gets. Just to be certain though, you are only drawing event cards after all players have already had their turn? There was a thread on the forums where a player was drawing an event card after each player's turn which is not correct.

I haven't played many games, but I've run through mission 1 three times with varying results. A 4 player game ended early, but we were holding our ground, getting ready to advance towards the TP's. A single player game (meaning one agent only) and I decided after round 5 that it was going to be impossible to beat after my biotech's shotgun ran out of ammo (and the Sentry gun was destroyed). In hindsight, I could have played it out anther couple of rounds to see if I could get to the armory in the center and maybe pull a weapon, but it was unlikely. My third game was a 2 player game and I got 3 out of 4 tp's destroyed. So yeah...its a hard game, but not too much so.

Also, if your unsure and would like to double check, you could give us a run through of exactly what happened the first 2-3 rounds of the game, we could probably help confirm that you are doing everything according to the rules.

As far as tips, for me, there is almost zero reason that the Biotech should not start with the Sentry Gun. Having that extra attack with the guard ability and a 'meat' shield is too good to pass up. Med-kits should always be present in the team. The biotech can only do so much, and losing his precious attack in order to heal someone may be too high a price...especially if he can get into range 1 of a group of aliens. His shotgun is awesome. Outside of that, always remember to concentrate fire when possible. Its always better to have 1 dead alien as opposed to 2 wounded ones.

And you do get to roll def against the spine critters' acid blood, so that's not automatic damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is indeed a difficult game, but I'll join in with the rest and recommend you stop using the optional rules until you start winning more often than you lose. In particular, friendly fire and close combat up the difficulty a lot. I've played every game so far with human view, and it adds an interesting tactical element without increasing difficulty too much (only a couple of scenarios where I had to waste my movement to reposition over the course of maybe 10 games).

I wouldn't play with close combat enabled unless you paid me, though. For a mission where it's a bunch of melee troops supported by a bunch of ranged troops, that would make things too difficult for my newbie self. Being able to ignore a Spine Critter once in a while to focus fire on a Beta really helps lower the difficulty curve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ant
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Skaak wrote:
This is indeed a difficult game, but I'll join in with the rest and recommend you stop using the optional rules until you start winning more often than you lose.
I wouldn't play with close combat enabled unless you paid me, though.

I'll add my vote to this. We've played up to Mission 7 and we've pretty much dumped all the optional rules. There's too many games crowding the table to play the same mission over and over again, at least in my FLGS.

Oddly enough, I think the problem is the "alway on" defense rolls. For example, consider these two scenarios.

1. You get 8 hits. Wow, great, right? Nope, wrong. Your target gets to roll 8 dice, thereby guaranteeing the "surge" for bonuses. We had an epic area attack with 8 hits on multiple aliens. Result? None dead.

2. Now consider 2 hits but with a weapon that can reduce defense rolls (like some of the alien weapons). This could easily result in 2 wounds.

When aliens get to re-roll their misses, this means that every die has a chance to block = 40% + 40%. That's way too high.

We're enjoying the game but yeah, difficulty is extreme. As the OP said, it can take your entire team just to kill one alien, and that's not exactly a guaranteed kill either. It can easily take two or three turns to bring down one alien.

I thought I liked games with high difficulty but this one sets a new bar. If you play very very slowly and think out each move, you can win but the game then takes a looong time to finish. It's a satisfying win but it does lead to the thought that you could have been playing two games of something else instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tang
Malaysia
KL
WP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bowmangr wrote:
Moreover, for each single agent attack+movement, 2-3 aliens activate each turn. This is simply too much to keep up.

Sorry, could you elaborate on this part?
Are you saying you activate 2-3 aliens every time an agent moves?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jttm wrote:
Bowmangr wrote:
Moreover, for each single agent attack+movement, 2-3 aliens activate each turn. This is simply too much to keep up.

Sorry, could you elaborate on this part?
Are you saying you activate 2-3 aliens every time an agent moves?

We activate them based on what the Close Encounter card says. the problem is that if the aliens have swarmed, it's quite possible that each and every Close Encounter card activates at least 2 of them EACH turn. If this happens, we have a situation where an agent attacks once and then the team receives 2 or more attacks as retaliation. Then the next agent attacks and then the team receives another 2+ attacks and so on.

If this keeps going for a few turns it is obvious that the cumulative effect is huge creating a downward spiral that goes out of control as the turns go by.

In almost all sessions so far we actively tried to keep the revealed aliens to an absolute minimum so that we can have breathing room for healing, positioning and so on, but usually a Move signals 3 areas comes along and then we have 5-6 aliens on top of us. From that point on it is almost a guarantee that for every agent attack there are 2+ alien attacks. This combined with the incredible resilience of the aliens makes it seem impossible to get out of this situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mato Sato
Germany
Plankstadt
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mb
It's really not to hard if you play without human view, friendly fire and close combat and still hard enough to make fun. Imagin you play a boardgame Version of a mmo (what it really is). Games like world of warcraft, leage of legends, Guild wars and so on would suck with friendly fire. Thats the same here. People who think this is not realistic should explain what is realistic about walking in hexes or callculating range with areas. This is a game and you should play it the most fun way. If frustration is fun for you play with all this options, but don't blame the game to be to hard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mato Sato
Germany
Plankstadt
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mb
I can recommend Earth Reborn for everyone who thinks GD is not realistic enough
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MaliZeko wrote:
It's really not to hard if you play without human view, friendly fire and close combat and still hard enough to make fun. Imagin you play a boardgame Version of a mmo (what it really is). Games like world of warcraft, leage of legends, Guild wars and so on would suck with friendly fire. Thats the same here. People who think this is not realistic should explain what is realistic about walking in hexes or callculating range with areas. This is a game and you should play it the most fun way. If frustration is fun for you play with all this options, but don't blame the game to be to hard

I actually enjoy the challenge. I only posted so that I can get confirmation that the game is indeed very hard and I'm not just horribly interpreting the game's rules making it artificially difficult.

I really want my co-op games to be hard, it's meaningless if I can just win every mission with ease but I I just don't want them to be impossible. As more people posted here about the game being exceptionally hard when using those optional rules it makes me feel that I can remove some of those rules to tone down the difficulty as I'm a gamer and I want the challenge but I'm not a masochist.

If I posted here that I find the game hard with all options set to ON and everyone was "oh the first mission? I beat it with the full rules first time around no problem", I would be baffled to say the least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bow, what a few have been asking you is: Are you picking an Event card after every agent goes?

The reason they are asking is, the helper card is VERY unintuitive, and looks like what you should do if you read it casually. But, you only draw an Event card after all agents have taken their turn.

So if you have 4 players, you only draw an event card after all 4 of them have went.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple Paladin wrote:
Bow, what a few have been asking you is: Are you picking an Event card after every agent goes?

The reason they are asking is, the helper card is VERY unintuitive, and looks like what you should do if you read it casually. But, you only draw an Event card after all agents have taken their turn.

So if you have 4 players, you only draw an event card after all 4 of them have went.

Yes, one event per ROUND not per turn. I don't understand why anyone would do it any different.

If we resolved an event card after every agent turn then each agent would play about 3 turns in a 4 player game, before the game run out of events right? Then what? The mission would end before they could even reach a second teleporter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Machado
Brazil
Florianópolis
Santa Catarina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vasilis,

This swarm of aliens in the 1st mission sounds odd to me.
Maybe you're teleporting way too many aliens to the map...

You said above that you got an event with "move signals 3 areas..." and, usually to me, that event doesn't do anything... 'cause there's no signals at that point.
At the end of the mission we get A LOT of aliens... But not untill the last rounds.

There's a lot of conditional teleports on the 1st mission and if you already have more aliens than agents, you wouldn't teleport any on those.

The game is hard, but what I liked about it is that after every loss I got, I've seen a way to do that mission better.
On the 1st one I've learned that the location of the Sentry Gun must be perfect. And the teleport(s) point(s) that the Sentry Gun can cover should be the last one(s) to destroy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ι triple-checked that we played the signal teleportation right.

In all of our sessions so far {4}, the Event A happened during the forth/fifth turn, didn't kill ANY signals as all aliens were revealed at that time and they were just a few. And then it goes downhill from there.

The Xeno-Alpha's Plasma Rifle does 3+ damage each time he fires, and the next cards just add more signals to the remaining teleporters creating a swarm.

Also, in ALL sessions so far the pressure was so high that the Sentry drone had to either be dropped in a less than perfect location or if the Biotech placed it in a good frontline location the aliens target it almost immediately and destroy it. It doesn't stay ingame for more than 2 rounds, which means 1-2 attacks in all.

We do use the "most wounded" agent, then "less remaining HPs" targeting priorities for all aliens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey
United States
IN - Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Spine Critters prioritize the closest agent. Only if there are 2 agents same number of hexes from the critter do you check or wounds/hp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JimZam wrote:
Skaak wrote:
This is indeed a difficult game, but I'll join in with the rest and recommend you stop using the optional rules until you start winning more often than you lose.
I wouldn't play with close combat enabled unless you paid me, though.

I'll add my vote to this. We've played up to Mission 7 and we've pretty much dumped all the optional rules. There's too many games crowding the table to play the same mission over and over again, at least in my FLGS.

Oddly enough, I think the problem is the "alway on" defense rolls. For example, consider these two scenarios.

1. You get 8 hits. Wow, great, right? Nope, wrong. Your target gets to roll 8 dice, thereby guaranteeing the "surge" for bonuses. We had an epic area attack with 8 hits on multiple aliens. Result? None dead.

2. Now consider 2 hits but with a weapon that can reduce defense rolls (like some of the alien weapons). This could easily result in 2 wounds.

When aliens get to re-roll their misses, this means that every die has a chance to block = 40% + 40%. That's way too high.

We're enjoying the game but yeah, difficulty is extreme. As the OP said, it can take your entire team just to kill one alien, and that's not exactly a guaranteed kill either. It can easily take two or three turns to bring down one alien.

I thought I liked games with high difficulty but this one sets a new bar. If you play very very slowly and think out each move, you can win but the game then takes a looong time to finish. It's a satisfying win but it does lead to the thought that you could have been playing two games of something else instead.

I completely see where you are coming from, but its the same frustration for the aliens as well. I once had an alien attack an agent with 3 dice. Guess now many hits happened. ...yeah...6 hits because every die landed on the double hit side. How much damage did I end up taking after rolling def? 1, maybe 2. In the case of the 8 hit satellite strike, I think its just bad luck with dice more than any real flaw in the combat system. Most bolt effects only activate once regardless of how many times it shows up so even if they do have a +1 success on def, it shouldn't be all that damaging. I also would be surprised to one shot kill any healthy alien.

So far, I've used human view and close combat (that's the one where you can't target anything else if there's an alien adjacent to you right?) in all my games and I haven't had much of an issue. For the most part, I've always found that I actually want to concentrate fire on an alien adjacent to an agent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leandro Ferreira
Brazil
flag msg tools
The game is in a nice difficulty setting imo ,and as others have said, adding optional rules will increase difficulty for each one added.

That being said, though there are a few things you should consider:

Make sure you are not using the close encounters cards that teleport aliens in unless it is specificaly asked for in the mission briefing (there are 2 tipes of cards that activate spine critters for exampl,e, one teleports mroe if none are on the board and the other doesn't. you only use the former when there is a little triangle symbol on the card on the mission guide)

If the mission is very difficult still, try removing close encounter card number 1( all aliens activate) from the deck. this can be used in amy mission card #1 exists.

Group composition matters , and a lot. By my experience, the infiltrator is the most vulnerable target ,is only good at melee, and while on melee, ranged targets can pick her off easily. Its very hard to play, meanwhile on the opposite side of the spectrum, the hulk is the sturdiest character. And brings out area damage. Now i'm not saying you have to bring a hulk instead of the inf, but it would probably make things a bit easier.

IF you plan on bringing the infiltrator along though, you might consider getting a device (orbital strike i think) that allows you to do massive area damage to the aliens that will surely clutter the last Teleport point.

On that note, having area damage on this game is also very important. marine, hulk and biotech(thorium) can bring out the area damage at the end there. FMJ bullets device work wonders with one of these attacks.

Also, don't be afraid to use your 4 alien tech fragments to get a device well suited to your current predicament, it might be the difference between a victory and defeat.

Lastly, assuming you take out the closet TP with relative ease, the aliens will most certainly cluster at the TP hidden behind the dune opposite of the starting area, because of the highest chance of teleporting there. keep in mind that that particular TP can be flanked, and if you manage to stay mostly out of sight from it, signals will remain signals for longer, which is always a good thing.

Also make sure you are revealing signals as aliens as soon as they enter LOS of one of the agents, they dont move around like aliens, they follow a hexby hex pattern,and once in sight, they pop out. If not being done correctly, that can give aliens an advantage by closing even faster than they already do.

Good luck on your future attempts, and keep up the fighting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Great advice Leandro, thanks.

holyfieldbr wrote:
Also, don't be afraid to use your 4 alien tech fragments to get a device well suited to your current predicament, it might be the difference between a victory and defeat.

However, as far as I understand, you cannot Search in the 1st Mission, and therefore cannot end up with any Alien Tech Fragments, or have I missed something?

holyfieldbr wrote:
Lastly, assuming you take out the closet TP with relative ease, the aliens will most certainly cluster at the TP hidden behind the dune opposite of the starting area, because of the highest chance of teleporting there. keep in mind that that particular TP can be flanked, and if you manage to stay mostly out of sight from it, signals will remain signals for longer, which is always a good thing.

This is some sneaky advice. I will certainly target the Teleport Points in order of how frequently they are rolled.

holyfieldbr wrote:
Also make sure you are revealing signals as aliens as soon as they enter LOS of one of the agents, they dont move around like aliens, they follow a hexby hex pattern,and once in sight, they pop out. If not being done correctly, that can give aliens an advantage by closing even faster than they already do.

Do Signals only move hex-by-hex, and not area-by-area? That will make things much simpler on my next play. My first play signals flew across the board until they crossed someones Line of Sight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey
United States
IN - Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
holyfieldbr wrote:
Yokiboy wrote:
However, as far as I understand, you cannot Search in the 1st Mission, and therefore cannot end up with any Alien Tech Fragments, or have I missed something?

You also receive a piece of alien tech for the first alien you kill each round.

holyfieldbr wrote:
Yokiboy wrote:
Do Signals only move hex-by-hex, and not area-by-area? That will make things much simpler on my next play. My first play signals flew across the board until they crossed someones Line of Sight.

That's wrong. Signals move from center hex to center hex. In other words from area to area. But I would pay extra close attention to cards that move signals. Some of the say closer to the nearest TP which usually means that they're moving away from the agents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
coraaay wrote:
You also receive a piece of alien tech for the first alien you kill each round.

Ah, I read that, but forgot about it. Alright, that will make things more exciting next time around.

coraaay wrote:
That's wrong. Signals move from center hex to center hex. In other words from area to area. But I would pay extra close attention to cards that move signals. Some of the say closer to the nearest TP which usually means that they're moving away from the agents.

Okay, I did it correctly then. However, Signals still turn into Aliens as soon as they cross someone's Line of Sight, even during their move, isn't that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey
United States
IN - Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Yokiboy wrote:
coraaay wrote:

Okay, I did it correctly then. However, Signals still turn into Aliens as soon as they cross someone's Line of Sight, even during their move, isn't that correct?

Yes, as soon as a signal and an agent have LoS at each other the signal halts it movement and reveals. It will not continue movement after the reveal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
holyfieldbr wrote:
The game is in a nice difficulty setting imo ,and as others have said, adding optional rules will increase difficulty for each one added.

That being said, though there are a few things you should consider:

Good advice Leandro, thank you!

Quote:
Make sure you are not using the close encounters cards that teleport aliens in unless it is specificaly asked for in the mission briefing (there are 2 tipes of cards that activate spine critters for exampl,e, one teleports mroe if none are on the board and the other doesn't. you only use the former when there is a little triangle symbol on the card on the mission guide)

Hmm, although I backed at an Elite Agent level and have all the promos we decided to see the game in its pure form, so we are using the base game components. Correct me if I'm wrong but two of the cards that the scenario asks to use to make the Close Encounter deck have the little triangle "danger" symbol in one of their copies. And the scenario asks to use both so we assumed that the scenario wants us to use the "danger" cards.
Is it possible that we did something wrong here?

Quote:
If the mission is very difficult still, try removing close encounter card number 1( all aliens activate) from the deck. this can be used in amy mission card #1 exists.

I read about this somewhere in the manual. It is a viable rule. We do want to play the game at a hard difficulty though as long as it doesn't feel impossible. If this trend continues we will remove some optional rules or card #1.

Quote:
Group composition matters , and a lot. By my experience, the infiltrator is the most vulnerable target ,is only good at melee, and while on melee, ranged targets can pick her off easily. Its very hard to play, meanwhile on the opposite side of the spectrum, the hulk is the sturdiest character. And brings out area damage. Now i'm not saying you have to bring a hulk instead of the inf, but it would probably make things a bit easier.

I agree, in the open terrain of Mission 1 an Infiltrator doesn't really shine. A tanking character was missed during our plays. So I guess a 4 agent team need the Hulk and not the Infiltrator so much in Mission #1.

Quote:
IF you plan on bringing the infiltrator along though, you might consider getting a device (orbital strike i think) that allows you to do massive area damage to the aliens that will surely clutter the last Teleport point.

Satellite strike is a good idea. It needs planning though because Friendly Fire is ON.

Quote:
On that note, having area damage on this game is also very important. marine, hulk and biotech(thorium) can bring out the area damage at the end there. FMJ bullets device work wonders with one of these attacks.

We tried to use area damage when available but many times friendly fire was making it difficult to use it. I guess the Friendly Fire rule makes the game way more difficult. We actually wanted to use Friendly Fire for "realism" and to tone down area attacks but I'm starting to believe that the game was tested with F.F. off.

Quote:

Most of the time it was so bad that we just delivered a Medpack.

Quote:

Towards the end, the aliens were all over the place, most agents were engaged with even more aliens incoming so it was impossible to even cross the board to get there so we didn't even consider going there. Just hold on until the 11th round.

Quote:

We moved them Area-to-Area and usually a "Move signals 3 areas towards the agents" meant that almost all signals on the map were revealed at some point because they managed to get into LOS. A three AREA move is almost the whole map...

Quote:
Good luck on your future attempts, and keep up the fighting.

We will. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.