Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Johnson
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
That's a Palm Pilot on the left, and a pink iPod mini on the right. Yes, I've been doing BGTG that long!
badge
http://www.WargamesToGo.com
mbmbmb
I take it that the name of the game is some sort of German pun. From Kramer's website, I see that the name came from a Facebook contest Ravensburger conducted last year. Here's the relevant part. You'll need to exercise your old Google translation skills to figure out what it's saying.

Quote:
Have been proposed over 700 titles. Ravensburger then selected 7 tracks proposals, which in turn were introduced on Facebook, with a request to select one of them. "Abluchsen" received 59% of all votes cast and won with a very large margin.

But the title was not clear so that design. Here we agreed very quickly to build the design on the lynx proposed by Ravensburger. Mr. Joy Reich then developed the slyly grinning bobcat, which fits very well with the game atmosphere.

So the votes loved Abluchsen--why? What does that mean? I get that it was later changed with the double X in there, and adding the nice graphics for the lynx (which is Luchs in German).

(Then who knows why they change it to Linko for the international version--is that supposed to sound like Lynx?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Explained here: http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/28298?commentid=4489420#co....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Sprick
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mark,

"Abluchsen" is used in Germany if one steals something in a smart way, e.g. if you take the ball from your opponent in a tricky way playing soccer you would "abluchs" it from him.

"Linko" is Esperanto for Lynx.

Best regards from Ravensburg
Philipp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.