Subject: Advice for selling - shipping rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Hansel
United States
Spencer
IA
flag msg tools
Not sure if this is the right forum but I was wondering if any experts had advice for a newbie. I am looking to sell my first game, Rampage, in the BGG marketplace.

If most buyers have complaints it's about shipping. What is the best and cheapest way to ship? I would like to charge a bit more for the game and cover some of the shipping. Right now I am planning on charging $29 for a used copy of Rampage. The buyer would cover $5 of the shipping and I would take care of the rest.

Is this a good idea? Am I going to get stuck with too much of a shipping cost and no room for profit?

I appreciate any help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what you can do, is go ahead and figure out your box/packaging. get a weight, and put that weight and what zip you are shipping from on your listing. that way someone can judge shipping based upon this weight and zip before they purchase. and then charge actual shipping. I'd rather pay actual shipping than inflate the cost of the game and have reduced shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Free-shipping thresholds at many OLGS have spoiled gamers, so don't be surprised if prospective buyers act aghast at the shipping price. It is what it is. I would lower the price of the game & be honest about how much it will cost to ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
For single games, USPS is usually cheapest. Don't do flat rate as it is a deal based on weight not volume and games usually are much less dense. If you have your own boxes, standard priority isn't too bad - plus it has tracking, cheaper online, and usually includes some insurance.

For a lot of games, FedEx/UPS usually ends up being cheaper with their ground service.

I would just tell the buyer to pay shipping. Going a little higher on the game and then paying less on shipping sounds like a nicer option but usually ends up being more confusing. If you post in the marketplace and are $5 higher than everyone else, I am not going to click on your item to see that is what you are offering.

So leave it apples to apples in pricing and just state they are responsible fore shipping - which is what they should expect and already have an idea what that amount should be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
flag msg tools
mb
lj1983 wrote:
what you can do, is go ahead and figure out your box/packaging. get a weight, and put that weight and what zip you are shipping from on your listing. that way someone can judge shipping based upon this weight and zip before they purchase. and then charge actual shipping. I'd rather pay actual shipping than inflate the cost of the game and have reduced shipping.

This. If they can calculate it themselves at UPS/FedEx/USPS, they can see you're not ripping them off on shipping -- that's just the actual cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't Ship International. Not worth the hassle or cost, even if they are willing to pay...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
atraangelis wrote:
Don't Ship International. Not worth the hassle or cost, even if they are willing to pay...

Thank heavens not everyone feels the same!

I've been grateful to purchase more than one item from an international seller and have sold many games internationally both here and on eBay.

Takes all of an extra 2-3 minutes to fill out the online customs form. If the buyer is willing to pay and insure, I'll be happy to ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Perger
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually like USPS Flat Rate. Most games will fit in the Medium Flat Rate box (which is free) Heck, order the boxes online at usps.com and your mailman brings them to you.

It can be more then standard mail, depends on where you are shipping to. But often I don't know where in the US it going to until someone buys my game. If its a state or 2-3 away, I will lose 2-3 dollars. I use flat rate as I know EXACTLY how much it will be... 11.30 and it includes tracking, insurance ($50) and is cheaper online. Also, Priority, either flat or not, is faster to make a happier customer.

11.30 -5 bucks you will pay 6.30 and some printer ink.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
Drdash wrote:

Are you suggesting that there is some way to get $5 off the online flat rate box rate??

I must be misunderstanding??

It is cheaper, by a dollar or so, to pay online vs in the post office, but not $5 cheaper...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Misterboy wrote:
Drdash wrote:

Are you suggesting that there is some way to get $5 off the online flat rate box rate??

It is cheaper, by a dollar or so, to pay online vs in the post office, but not $5 cheaper...

The OP said he would have the seller contribute $5 towards shipping and he would pay the balance. Dan was just stating the OP would then be on the hook for the $6.30 balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
atraangelis wrote:

Thank heavens not everyone feels the same!

I've been grateful to purchase more than one item from an international seller and have sold many games internationally both here and on eBay.

Takes all of an extra 2-3 minutes to fill out the online customs form. If the buyer is willing to pay and insure, I'll be happy to ship.

Unless, like the recent debacle, the buyer requested UPS to Canada, then demanded the shipper cover their duty fees.

When the shipper offered to cover half, the buyer did a Paypal chargeback, and the shipment was stuck in customs. The shipper had a choice of arranging and paying to have their goods shipped back, or having the games destroyed. In the end, the shipper's games were destroyed and the shipper was out the cost of shipping to Canada.

The long and short is don't ship UPS or FedEx to Canada, even if the buyer requests it.

Apparently, there are similar issues shipping to Brazil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Loophus wrote:
The buyer would cover $5 of the shipping and I would take care of the rest.

Make sure you specify which countries you're willing to ship to with that arrangement.

Personally, I always list the game at the actual price, then state the buyer covers actual shipping.

I prefer buying with that arrangement as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Misterboy wrote:
Drdash wrote:

The OP said he would have the seller contribute $5 towards shipping and he would pay the balance. Dan was just stating the OP would then be on the hook for the $6.30 balance.

Thank you brian. I had forum-fail! I'd forgotten the OP's post regarding the $5. In truth, I was secretly wishing there was some way to get a deeper discount on USPS flat rate! modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeramy Poulin
United States
San Digeo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Misterboy wrote:
In truth, I was secretly wishing there was some way to get a deeper discount on USPS flat rate! modest

Commercial Plus pricing give slightly cheaper rates (example medium flat rate is $10.65). The most attainable way to get this for most sellers is to have a top rated status on eBay (100 transaction per year minimum) and then use eBay to print labels.

Also many sellers miss (or dismiss) regional rate A and B boxes. It can be annoying to have to order and store them but they can be a significant savings.

Of course if you charge the buyer actual shipping then the seller doesn't have much incentive to find cheaper ways to ship. Theoretically cheaper shipping means buyers will pay more for the item itself but the reality doesn't always work out that way (and shipping costs need to be stated ahead of time for that to work).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Trzaskowski

Tucson
Arizona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Loophus wrote:
If most buyers have complaints it's about shipping. What is the best and cheapest way to ship? I would like to charge a bit more for the game and cover some of the shipping. Right now I am planning on charging $29 for a used copy of Rampage. The buyer would cover $5 of the shipping and I would take care of the rest.

Where are you shipping? If it is US->US, than it's a pretty good deal to you ... and bad for the buyer. According to the dimensions of the game it should fit the large flat-rate box, which means $17.45 to ship it to any place in US.

In general, and as stated above, for single/few games USPS is usually the cheapest. If you're shipping to a nearby state than in most cases Parcel Post is the way to go - although it's kind of slow (but since last year does have free tracking). If sending to the across 3-4 or more states usually flat-rate boxes are cheapest.

Also, try not to charge for any additional stuff (like tape, boxes and so on). Or, if you're going to, clearly state what you're charging for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flat rate IF the game will fit WITH padding (don't just stick a game in and expect it to arrive ok).

If not, I'm in California, so I'll often weigh my package and calculate priority shipping to Massachusetts (I have family there) as cross-country would be the WORST case scenario. But what they said about the weight and origin zip code for buyers to figure it out themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some suggestions:

1. If you have any kind of storage space, then I recommend keeping every box in which a game is shipped to you. Break them down and store them flat, as they will be useful to mail games out again.

2. If you are selling on EBay, then FedEx Smartpost is almost certainly the cheapest way to mail games. Alternatively, you can set up your own FedEx Account to ship via Smartpost, but it takes a bit more work up front, and also requires that you use your own boxes/packaging. See suggestion #1.

3. USPS Parcel Select is also inexpensive, but it requires that you purchase the postage on-line, so you have to know how much the game weighs once it's packed. Depending on how inconvenient this is, it may or may not be worth the couple of bucks you save over other shipping options.

4. Although it's not within USPS guidelines, I know many sellers have shipped games to me via Media Mail. It's supposed to be limited to shipping DVD's, CD's and Books, and the USPS reserves the right to inspect packages. But every package mailed to me this way with a game inside has made it without a problem. It's an option, but ship at your own risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Butler
United States
Hughesville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for minis and small games with cardboard or few components go with USPS first class package - can be really cheap IF it doesn't weigh much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.