J Lee
msg tools
Hi.
First of, I dunno what's the exact name of the cards coz' i was playing CN version with my group...sry guys.
Here's the scenario.
Player A B C,A was the starting player.
So C buried an event(?) card, flipping a shitty current event:the one with the most VP, who happens to be 1 of the 2 weakest civs suffers the loss of 1 population(tell me the name of this card and end my misery plz).
OK, now:
A: VP - 12 MP - 6(lets say military point)
B: VP - 12 MP - 5
C: VP - 8 MP - 6

We were playing on F14, and the AI judged that player A was the victim.
Was it correct?

Edit: typo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
codej125 wrote:
Hi.
First of, I dunno what's the exact name of the cards coz' i was playing CN version with my group...sry guys.
Here's the scenario.
Player A B C,A was the starting player.
So C buried an event(?) card, flipping a shitty current event:the one with the most VP, who happens to be 1 of the 2 weakest civs suffers the loss of 1 population(tell me the name of this card and end my misery plz).
OK, now:
A: VP - 12 MP - 6(lets say military point)
B: VP - 12 MP - 5
C: VP - 8 MP - 6

We were playing on F14, and the AI judged that player A was the victim.
Was it correct?

Edit: typo

Yup, first player (or early player) wins all ties, for better or worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the card you're referring to is Barbarians: "If the civilization with the most culture points is one of the two weakest civilizations it loses 1 population."

First you would check who has the most culture: In your case as A and B are tied, A is considered to have more as their turn comes next - the standard tiebreaker. Next you check if they're one of the two weakest. Again, it's A and C tied with B behind, so you need to apply the tiebreaker again. C's the current player, so they're considered stronger. Therefore, A is the civilisation with the most culture AND they're considered one of the two weakest, so they do indeed lose one population.

This is a really weird situation though, since there was two tiebreakers used, but yes, A should have been forced to lose 1 population from it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacho Facello
Uruguay
Montevideo
Montevideo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the card name is Barbarians.

It's C's turn, so ties are broken in the C-A-B order. A and B have the most points. Since A is before B in tie breaking, then A is the affected one, if he's one of the two weakest. The weakest is B, no tie there. The second weakest is a tie between A and C. Since C comes first in tie breaking, C is stronger, so A is the second weakest. Therefore, yes, the resolution is correct, and A loses one population.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Lee
msg tools
just like i thought.
Thanks guys.

The wierd thing's that the game doesn't use this kind of tie-breaker to solve the tie in the end-game situation.
I saw ppl trying to have an end-game tie-breaker but nobody mentioned this "order" concept, but that's another story anyway.

Edit: BTW, i was that A, so sad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
codej wrote:
The wierd thing's that the game doesn't use this kind of tie-breaker to solve the tie in the end-game situation.

It does - according to my rulebook anyway. Endgame ties are resolved in player order starting with the first player - who would be the next to move if the game were to continue. (Back page of rules under "Age III Event cards").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seghillian wrote:
codej wrote:

It does - according to my rulebook anyway. Endgame ties are resolved in player order starting with the first player - who would be the next to move if the game were to continue. (Back page of rules under "Age III Event cards").

You're misinterpreting the paragraph. It says to break ties on endgame events as though the first player were the current player. So that's for things like Impact of Science.

There is no end game tiebreaker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I Eat Tables wrote:
You're misinterpreting the paragraph. It says to break ties on endgame events as though the first player were the current player. So that's for things like Impact of Science.

No - I'm misinterpreting the question - I thought the OP was talking about endgame event ties. I recognise the game itself can end in a tie - I've had that exciting result myself several times!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seghillian wrote:
I Eat Tables wrote:

No - I'm misinterpreting the question - I thought the OP was talking about endgame event ties. I recognise the game itself can end in a tie - I've had that exciting result myself several times!

Ah, so I misinterpreted you misinterpreting a question about the rules .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.