Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
Does this game tend to get easier with more players? Two is easier than one, three is easier than two, four easier than three?

I've played it with one, two, and three, and this seems to be my (albeit limited) experience. Three has been especially easy, I'm worried playing with four would just trivialize everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SeanLuc wrote:
Does this game tend to get easier with more players? Two is easier than one, three is easier than two, four easier than three?

I've played it with one, two, and three, and this seems to be my (albeit limited) experience. Three has been especially easy, I'm worried playing with four would just trivialize everything.

It is totally dependent on the scenario in question. Some are easier with just one player, some are easier with more players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends on the scenario...

In the earlier quests (Core Set and first Adventure Pack Cycle), this tends to be the case -- but I wouldn't call 4-player 'trivial'.

Drawing 4 cards off the encounter deck each turn can really surprise you at times. Especially if there's some 'surge' in the encounter cards, you can easily find yourself drawing 8 or more cards in some cases.

Some of the more recent quests actually get harder with more people. Also, as the game has progressed, the designers have begun constructing 'leaner' encounter decks that can really synergize with itself.

All in all, I enjoy playing 4-player when I'm able to. Though the games can be a bit more 'swingy' at times based on encounter deck draws.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GeckoTH wrote:

All in all, I enjoy playing 4-player when I'm able to. Though the games can be a bit more 'swingy' at times based on encounter deck draws.

Interesting. I would expect 4-player to be less swingy because you're going to draw most if not all of the encounter deck. I think solo would be more swingy depending on how the encounter deck shuffle comes out. (I play mostly solo.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tubarush wrote:
GeckoTH wrote:

Interesting. I would expect 4-player to be less swingy because you're going to draw most if not all of the encounter deck. I think solo would be more swingy depending on how the encounter deck shuffle comes out. (I play mostly solo.)

Haha, I guess that also depends on the scenario.

I feel that the surge mechanic has the potential to make it more swingy. More cards = more opportunities for surges. Plus, cards like Massing at Night or Massing in the Deep (which reveal X more cards, X = # of players) can really make for an epic staging area.

Then again, you have more players do deal with all this stuff, so theoretically it should kinda work itself out, lol. I will say that when we lose playing 4-player, it's often pretty comical with all the stuff we're up against. But I'll admit that I don't get a chance to play with that many people very often, so my sample size might not be big enough to make an accurate call.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.