Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
If, for example, the US is playing the card, which of the following is the idea behind the event?

1. There's a Red Scare in the US. It's actually effective enough to interfere with Soviet spies and such, so they (the Soviets) lose 1 op per card played.

OR

2. There's a Purge going on in the USSR. It's actually counterproductive, so they lose 1 op per card played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Moore
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: Please explain the theme behind Red Scare/Purge
or there was a red scare and the gov't got lots of money to Fight Reds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I think, and red scare played on US represents all the wasted effort then went with a Red Scare in the US.?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
snoozefest wrote:
If, for example, the US is playing the card, which of the following is the idea behind the event?

1. There's a Red Scare in the US. It's actually effective enough to interfere with Soviet spies and such, so they lose 1 op per card played.

OR

2. There's a Purge going on in the USSR. It's actually counterproductive, so they lose 1 op per card played.

Red Purge is an offshoot of Stalin's brutality. Stalin was well-known for purging his senior officials (and the Russians actually had more trouble in WWII partly because many of the officials didn't have as much experience). Although admittedly the purges were mainly before WWII, there's no doubt that there could've been another large wave of them; Stalin was a rather paranoid person even before he got old. Clearly, a loss of senior military and even governmental officials would make the government less efficient. Since operations points abstract a government's ability to do "stuff," a government that work less efficiently will be able to do less "stuff," so the Soviets get fewer ops.

Red Scare is an abstraction of McCarthyism. Beginning in 1948 with the trial of alleged Communist spy Alger Hiss and reaching its peak with the Rosenbergs' trial and execution, there was a wave of anti-Communist fervor that both scared Americans and convinced them to ignore justice in ways they might otherwise not have. McCarthy and his movement (i.e. McCarthyism) distracted the both the public and the government and got in the way of calm, dispassionate negotiations. Truman's refusal to trust Stalin only added to the frenzy. Not until McCarthy overstepped his bounds and accused the military did the "Second Red Scare" finally die down. While no other major Red Scares swept the country, it wasn't an impossible proposition. During the Second Red Scare, the passion hindered the efficiency of the government in its Diplomacy (and helped contribute to the brinksmanship of John Dulles, Eisenhower's Secretary of State), in turn allowing the government to accomplish less "stuff" and therefore, in game terms, causing the government to have fewer ops.

I hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
Red Purge

It's not "Red Purge", it's simply purge.
The card's name is supposed to be read "(Red Scare) / (Purge)", not "Red (Scare / Purge)"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Donnelly
Canada
Unspecified
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"...fervor that both scared Americans and convinced them to ignore justice in ways they might otherwise not have."

Thankfully, that's all in the past. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
azuredarkness wrote:
MD1616 wrote:
Red Purge

It's not "Red Purge", it's simply purge.
The card's name is supposed to be read "(Red Scare) / (Purge)", not "Red (Scare / Purge)"

Hmmmm, you're probably right. I never thought of it that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.