Popular Tags: [View All]
Fred Hartig
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

Just to make sure...:

When two friendly ships collide, each draws a number of "B" chits (equal to the other ships burden) for damage.

Is special damage considered in this case?

In other words, can a ship get e.g. a "Fire on board" or "Broken Mast" damage as the result of a collision, or is only the damage number relevant?

Fred

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Boyle
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
AFAIK it just says pull the 'B' chits in the standard rules and it is not addressed one way or the other in the advanced rules for special damage.

IMO just drop the friendly ship collision damage rule. Lots of discussion about it at www.sailsofglory.org.

For a convention game I recently ran I used the following rules for all collisions:

1. Check for entanglement (start of next turn).
2. If under full sails pull one "C" chit for rigging damage.
3. Next turn ships involved start out at backing sails speed.

Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Threakall
England
Brighton
flag msg tools
We've always taken the special damage on the tokens we draw when taking collision damage.

My issue with collisions was never the initial damage, but rather when the ships are unable to avoid repeatedly hitting each other turn after turn (well, 2 or 3 turns anyway). We've initially ruled that the ships can voluntarily grapple each other to avoid further collision damage after the initial hit which works well.

I think it's good to have some downside to colliding, but not good if the game is decided by a single mistaken maneuver. On the Sails of Glory Anchorage site, people seem to favour the no damage, but a possible entanglement option. We may try this idea to see if it works as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I have this same question and wanted to know if we got an official answer.

Collisions seem rough in this game and so the point is to avoid them. But things happen and sot hey must be resolved. What was even worse was starting both a fire and a leak in one ship.

My assumption is that you should resolve all the special damage if you are in advanced rules. But it seems like it might be better to just take the hull/crew damage as if it were just the standard game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, the best option is to avoid special damage. I am sorry for this ambiguity in the rules.

Actually collisions with reefs (see page 44) keeps only special damages that are compatible with that event, leaks and rudder damages. It could be the same with ships, so just leaks could be kept (it looks like the only one that suits the case).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Raz
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DeRuyter wrote:
AFAIK it just says pull the 'B' chits in the standard rules and it is not addressed one way or the other in the advanced rules for special damage.

IMO just drop the friendly ship collision damage rule. Lots of discussion about it at www.sailsofglory.org.

For a convention game I recently ran I used the following rules for all collisions:

1. Check for entanglement (start of next turn).
2. If under full sails pull one "C" chit for rigging damage.
3. Next turn ships involved start out at backing sails speed.

Eric

This might be a stupid question but I only have a couple plays under my belt. There is also damage for non-friendly collisions as well right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
edrazpgh wrote:
This might be a stupid question but I only have a couple plays under my belt. There is also damage for non-friendly collisions as well right?

No.

The reason for this is they do not want to encourage ramming of enemy vessels, which was not a common practice of the era. The rules are gamey (which is why there is a fair amount of discussion on the topic) but the goal is to prevent you from colliding at all (thus the punishment if you hit your own and no advantage if you hit the enemy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Raz
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
edrazpgh wrote:

No.

The reason for this is they do not want to encourage ramming of enemy vessels, which was not a common practice of the era. The rules are gamey (which is why there is a fair amount of discussion on the topic) but the goal is to prevent you from colliding at all (thus the punishment if you hit your own and no advantage if you hit the enemy).

hmmm. Kind of weird. I've really been struggling with the collision aspect of the game a lot. I love everything about the game except for collisions. It seems to me you either play that collisions cause damage or don't. It seems weird to me that you'd damage your own ships but not your opponents. And I see that many people are not playing with that rule anyway.

But damage aside (which, as a rule, is easy to turn on and off), I'm really looking for a better way to resolve getting out of a collision. The thing I find most odd is that your second move continues even if your first move didn't happen or was cut short by collision.

And this goes back to my point about damage. Are we saying the ships actually collide with each or are they just passing through each others area?

But in either case, id still argue that the ship's 2nd "planned" move often makes no sense if your 1st move was cut short by collision. Your whole angle could be completely wrong.

If your saying you just pass though each other id argue that one of the ships should be picked up from the board and marked on the board somehow so that its correct position is maintained, not its altered position.

But if your saying that they actually do collide and do damage to each other, then your momentum should stop and your 2nd planned action should be cleared. You should then have to plan 2 new actions including a taken aback action if the other ship is in our way.

I'm really considering experimenting with passing through. It wouldn't be that hard as you could just take the paper insert off the base and lay it under the other ship as a placeholder. The main question then would be if the ships can shoot at each other and i'm leaning towards no.

EDIT:

So

Actually Colliding
------------------
1. damage is done to both ships friendly or not
2. movement is cleared
3. new movement is planned using taken aback if front of ship is bumping otherwise plan as normal.

Passing Through
----------------
1. one of the ships is picked up and replaced by the paper insert until they no long overlap.
2. movement doesn't need to be re planed as the ships are just passing each other.
3. No shooting each other? Or maybe full broadsides are allowed at that point. I don't know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.