Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Schneider
Germany
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi all,

I have the opportunity to pick TI3 up for a reasonable price - but I'm somewhat hesitating. I would like with the base game first, before getting any expansions (if ever).

However, I've read it a couple of times that the expansions are somewhat essential to the game and realized that I actually never played just the base game.

So my question the the community is:

What is the current state of the game? Is it still true that the expansions are essential? Or do FAQs/rules errata/variants exist that make the base game a fun experience?

Thanks for your help .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
The 1st expansion is a must. The original game had issues (discussed in plenty of detail elsewhere) with the strat cards and the objectives.

The 2nd expansion adds some cool stuff (and some crappy stuff IMHO)and is more of a nice to have.

Eventually you will want it all for the races and the good stuff in the 2nd expansion but it can wait.

-M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Schmidt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't hurt to buy the base game, play it once (or more) and see if you and your group enjoys it. You won't notice the issues with it on your first play.

If you enjoy it enough that you are considering playing it again go out and grab the first expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rio
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schmidtjas wrote:
You won't notice the issues with it on your first play.

+10

The 1st expansion is not a must. Strongly suggested purchase after you get used to the game. As mentioned, this is discussed in plenty of detail elsewhere, where you will also find a number of people, me among them, who will tell you the 1st expansion is really fun, but not necessary.

The 2nd expansion is also fun, but not having it will not lessen the TI experience.

("The TI experience" is how I judge the 1st expansion not necessary--you will still be playing TI without it, and you will still like it or not w/o the new SCs.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collis Jeppesen
United States
New Windsor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
knurps wrote:
Hi all,

I have the opportunity to pick TI3 up for a reasonable price - but I'm somewhat hesitating. I would like with the base game first, before getting any expansions (if ever).

However, I've read it a couple of times that the expansions are somewhat essential to the game and realized that I actually never played just the base game.

What is the current state of the game? Is it still true that the expansions are essential? Or do FAQs/rules errata/variants exist that make the base game a fun experience?

Thanks for your help .

The first expansion, "Shattered Empire", really enhances the base game (never play without the new strategy cards from this expansion). It also adds some new races, new planatary system tiles, unique racial tech for each race, new public objectives that force more interaction between the players to score VP and other optional but fun items.

The 2nd expansion "Shards of the Throne", also adds more races, a 2nd unique racial tech for all races, more units and flagships as well as other options. It is fun, but not nearly as game changing as the first expansion. Glad I have it but not required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Munnerlyn
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
knurps wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks for your help .

Opinions will differ on the expansions. I personally don't think TI3 is very much fun at all without Shattered Empires and won't play without it.

The second expansion isn't that interesting to me but as always your own experience may be different.

FFG's website has an extensive FAQ for this game that helps out with a lot of questions that may come up.

TI3 with Shattered Empires is a grand experience for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom N
msg tools
mbmb
Personally, I would never play without both expansions. If you're going to get into a game this big, you might as well go all the way. The second expansion adds flagships, which help balance some races out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Schmidt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the other hand, if you go out and spend $200+ and then the game falls flat for your group, that's annoying. Much less annoying to have just purchased the base game to "test the waters".

With that said I've played a handful of times and unless playing with complete newbies I always play with racial techs, flagships, new SC, mechs, etc. I have played with just the base game though and had a great experience.

Zeromage wrote:
Personally, I would never play without both expansions. If you're going to get into a game this big, you might as well go all the way. The second expansion adds flagships, which help balance some races out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first and only play of this was with the Shattered Empire expansion. I absolutely loved the experience. So I decided to get one for myself.

I didn't know anything about the differences between base TI3 and TI3+SE until I decided to purchase it. I sent an email to my friend whose copy we played and asked him what his set-up was. He told me it was with Shattered Empire, and told me the differences between base TI3 and TI3+SE. After hearing the differences, there was no way I was going to buy the base game without the SA expansion.

I'm sure if the first time I had played TI3 was without the expansion, it would have been fine for me. But once you go to TI3+SE, you won't want to go back.

It's kind of like flying first class. If you've never flown it, you don't know what you're missing and it's no big deal. But once you have, you shouldn't have to go back:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rio
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
I'm sure if the first time I had played TI3 was without the expansion, it would have been fine for me. But once you go to TI3+SE, you won't want to go back.

So don't do that. Don't spend the extra money just cause. Play the base game first. You'll enjoy it. When you want to add on to the base experience, purchase the expansion. Then you'll have more fun.

(Fun with only base + later more fun with SE) > only every having fun with base+SE

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Zorzo
Brazil
Florianópolis
Santa Catarina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schmidtjas wrote:

Can't agree less. We only played our second game because we found the SE strat cards.

But I agree that you should try just the base, but if you don't like it and the thing that bothers you the most are the strategy cards, try SE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rio
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brusazorzo wrote:
schmidtjas wrote:

Can't agree less. We only played our second game because we found the SE strat cards.
But I agree that you should try just the base, but if you don't like it and the thing that bothers you the most are the strategy cards, try SE.

This may be the best conclusion given the different opinions.

(as an aside, cause it doesn't really answer the OP's question, rather beats a dead horse: I can't imagine what was so horrible about the original SCs which would make someone not want to play ever again.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IndyOfComo wrote:
brusazorzo wrote:
schmidtjas wrote:

This may be the best conclusion given the different opinions.

(as an aside, cause it doesn't really answer the OP's question, rather beats a dead horse: I can't imagine what was so horrible about the original SCs which would make someone not want to play ever again.)

Imperial-Initiative always going 1-2 is boring and restrictive adn rewards people for seating order rather than any game activity?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I do find it kind of funny, though, that even before the first expansion was released, TI3 was a pretty popular game. I think it hit #27 on the BGG's ratings chart, for whatever that means.

Granted, even before the expansion, people played with the variant that eventually became Imperial II, but it's like once the expansion was released, a lot of players just started going off on how awful the base game is without the expansion It doesn't make sense to me.

I *do* think the expansion makes the game better, but I'd play a game of just the base game with no issues (although I'd miss some of the new techs and cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I always try to buy the expansions to a game and I research the game
as much as possible before I buy. Then the expansions do the following for me:

In Shattered Empires, for example, the Strategy Cards are better, enabling newbies to have a better game experience with them than the original Strategy Cards - so sometimes expansions will "tweak" something from an original game that makes it a bit better

In Shattered Empires, you get two new sets of ships - orange and gray. If you want to play races that both have gray on their race sheet as Command Counters, then one can be black and one race can be gray - a small feature, I know, but I like my races to be the color on the board that match their colors on the race sheet. The Hacan Command Counters are yellow and I like to play the Hacan with the yellow fleet. Other people might mix the colors on the race sheets to be different on the board - they don't give a hoot - I do. This really helps newbies as well. So, sometimes the expansions give me a few extras in the box that add to the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob mackenzie
msg tools
I used to play TI3 with just the base set and found that extremly enjoyable, most people on here have played with the expansions and gotten used to playing with the expansions.
however on its own it is still extremly fun, and there are no problems with it at all.

If u have a group to play with (4-6) people, and u have spare time for the game (5+ hours) and like a good intense strategy game, then i would go for it. the expansions are not essential, but u may want to upgrade after a few games for more options to include

shattered empire is a must when you choose to progress (addes in 2 players, along with cool options)
shards of the throne - tbh added in hard to play races, annoying units that conflict with the rules, and nerfed action cards. (as a TI3 host, i refuse to ever buy this expansion due to the way it has affected the game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Harrop
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brusazorzo wrote:
schmidtjas wrote:

Ask someone with a few extra sets of SE to send you a spare set of SE Strategy cards. You'll have most of what you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Octopus
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
"...that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the the field of battle - victorious."
mbmbmbmbmb
When our group played for the first time the reaction was "there is some cool potential here and fantastic components, but the game has serious issues". The problem was that the first game took 8 hours and was a big letdown. This was my personal experience, and there are others like it and yet others unlike it.

I'd say that the theme and components made me stick with it, while the the expansion got me to love the game.

It is possible to enjoy the game without the expansion.

I think enjoyment is more likely if you play with the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Washington Irving
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest improvement from the expansions is the "Imperial 2" strategy card, whose text can be found as an official variant from Fantasy Flight Games' site. If you take an index card and copy the Imperial 2 text onto it you'll have something completely great and playable.

I own and like both expansions (though I think Shattered Empire's variant objectives and strategy cards add a lot more than the garbage sink of variants in Shards of the Throne).

The problem with the base game, to the extent that there is one, is that role selection becomes the single largest point engine. This is more than just a theme problem because there are a few action cards that alter role selection, so that there ends up being a low chance that someone randomly draws 2 out of 10 points as an action card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JohnnY C
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Seriously, get the Shattered Empire expansion! Shard of the Throne on the other hand is utter bullcrap, with the exception of the new awesome races.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Watch all the reviews, video replays, etc. on internet. Read some written reviews.

That's how I decided it would be right for our group.

If you think TI3 is then a game for you and your play groups, buy TI3 and Shattered Empires expansion.

Be forewarned - the game is a monster! You will need a lot of reading the rules and prep BEFORE you play.

I actually made some house rules before my first game, not because I thought the game was wrong, but because I wanted to shorten the first game and make it a bit easier to teach

GOOD LUCK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.