Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruno Pigeon
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to decide between Warhammer Diskwars and battleground fantasy warfare at the moment. BFW seems the closest to what I want, but WH: DW seems better suited for play with my group.

I'm reading the rules for BFW and it appears to me that a big part of the complexity comes from the standing orders. It probably requires a lot of skills and thinking to use properly so that your army acts the way you want to. For programmers, it won't be too hard, but for casual gamers, it could lead to a lot of frustration.

How much does it affect the game to play movement as stated in the quickstart rules instead of using the standing orders?

I guess I would need to reduce the number of command actions available to each player to reflect this change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Ignore the quick start rules. BGFW is a complex game and that is its attraction. If you are inclined to ask this question you may be better with Diskwars. Both are excellent games and I own the complete collections of them but from the impression I get of your group from your post then Diskwars would be a better option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you'll find that Battleground's command action system isn't really that hard even for fairly casual gamers. The game certainly has its complexity, but basic command and control is fairly intuitive.

Check out the online demo at yourmovegames.com. You can also ask around in our forums -- there are a lot of people there eager to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Downing
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Chad,
I literally went thru my basement last night and came across my Battleground collection. I haven't played this in a few years. Where does this game stand? Do you still intend to put out expansions?
Thanks Chad!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your Move Games has been quiet recently but that's all changing. We have a new website about to launch (which you may not care about) and three new Battleground factions coming out -- Wuxing, which is inspired by the terracotta warriors of China, and Alexander vs. Persia for historical.

We've also got Battle for Sector 219, a sequel to our standalone hit, Battle for Hill 218.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh... Scythed Chariots vs. the Phalanx...

Be interested to see how you deal with the Sparabara too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls