Kemet» Forums » General

Subject: Just... WOW rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just bought Kemet from miniature market. (slightly damaged outer box so I got it on the cheap)

Just opened it up and I cannot believe how beautiful this game is.

the monster minis might be the best sculpts I have ever seen in a boardgame.

absolutely amazed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the monster minis were beautiful too. Then I played my first game, and let someone else buy one before me. Suddenly, they were horribly repulsive and ugly creatures that I wanted nothing to do with.

"Stay away from me, you terrible, ugly monsters!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wait until you play it. This game is probably the biggest surprise of the last year for me. I'm not a dudes on a map guy. I'm not a war gamer. I LOVE this game. I've also turned other people who normally aren't into these types of games onto it. Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sizzla wrote:
Just wait until you play it. This game is probably the biggest surprise of the last year for me. I'm not a dudes on a map guy. I'm not a war gamer. I LOVE this game. I've also turned other people who normally aren't into these types of games onto it. Have fun!

I am a dudes on a map guy and I love it, too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Long
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you think MORE Monsters is better..check out-
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/146781/c3k-c...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No figures with that though right? just cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
therealtheshader wrote:
Just bought Kemet from miniature market. (slightly damaged outer box so I got it on the cheap)

Just opened it up and I cannot believe how beautiful this game is.

the monster minis might be the best sculpts I have ever seen in a boardgame.

absolutely amazed.

Then you should but Cyclades by the same publisher. Then buy the Cross over expansion pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, I love Kemet. It's in my top 10. But I don't care for Cyclades at all. It moves too slowly and all the fun of a combat game is too restricted by the auctions. Also, the creatures only come and go in that game. I found it pretty boring, actually.

My point is it's not an automatic thing that if someone likes one, they're guaranteed to like the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
FWIW, I love Kemet. It's in my top 10. But I don't care for Cyclades at all. It moves too slowly and all the fun of a combat game is too restricted by the auctions. Also, the creatures only come and go in that game. I found it pretty boring, actually.

My point is it's not an automatic thing that if someone likes one, they're guaranteed to like the other.

Right, but I wasn't really talking about the game. I was talking about the minis.

But yea, buying the game and the expansion is a bit expensive to add more monsters to Kemet. I wonder if they will just produce an expansion that includes the new power tiles and Cyclades monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think Kemet gets enough love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heliconia wrote:

How do you mean? It certainly does on BGG. Ranked in the top 100 with a rating of higher than 7.8. Seems like a lot of love to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Superfly Snuka
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At this exact moment in time Kemet is my favorite game. I haven't killed it with overplaying it yet.

It has everything I love in games.

Battles
"Dudes on the board"
customization
multiple paths to victory
relatively short setup and play time

I use to love A Game of Thrones but it took SOOOOOO long and you might not get more troops for hours. Kemet fixes that.

I loved playing Magic and star war minis but I drifted away because they are CCG and started to cost way too much but the customization and combo making was a lot of fun for me. Kemet covers that too with the tiles.

I've played lots of games and I think this map is the most ingenious map I have ever seen. While it looks like cities are far away from each other, EVERY city is actually equal distance from each other. It is quite amazing.

OP said it best - Just... Wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Munro-Chitty
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing to love about Kemet is that at heart it is a strategy game. Every player starts out with equal abilities (mitigated a bit with pyramid setup) and players then become more asymmetrical as they buy tile powers. Most CCG's with minis don't do this very well and just become too expensive. Kemet keeps the strategy fresh by offering different paths to victory also, I've seen people win by defending temples all game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Muttley
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Heliconia wrote:

It just needs more time for word to get out. I just played this for the first time at our local Board Game Con and I'm introducing it to 6 other gamers this weekend. I've only played it once but you can instantly see the potential of this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
I am of Shane’s mind about Kemet (though not about Cyclades): It is the dudes-on-a-map game I have been waiting for for 20 years. Avalon Hill’s original Nexus Ops came close, but Kemet knocks it out of the park.

It’s the only game that ever got me to design a microbadge for it (see over there on the left).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
I am of Shane’s mind about Kemet (though not about Cyclades): It is the dudes-on-a-map game I have been waiting for for 20 years. Avalon Hill’s original Nexus Ops came close, but Kemet knocks it out of the park.

It’s the only game that ever got me to design a microbadge for it (see over there on the left).

Hey, I didn't know you designed that.

Insta-buy! (See over there on the left.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
thedacker wrote:
HuginnGreiling wrote:

Hey, I didn't know you designed that.

Insta-buy! (See over there on the left.)

Just yesterday: I went to buy a Kemet badge and there wasn’t one I liked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud MATAGOT
France
Bordeaux
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:

FINALY the microbadge I think Kemet needed ! Instantbuy !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus ops is still great and plays alot quicker than Kemet. I really do like Kemet, slightly prefer Cyclades tho. Both games have incredible components and gameplay!. These games are going to go down as classics imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.