Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
1055 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [43] | 

A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: AGoT PBF #179 - You may drop your sword. Others have done the same. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Xavier A. Perez
Argentina
Ciudad Autonoma de Buenos Aires
CABA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"... Pick it up and go on fighting." Ser Barristan Selmy, 'The Bold'

No need to introduce myself here, just get on with the rules.

The following rules and introduction I took from
Leon ForgotWhatItWas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
who in turn took from
T.J.
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
, but I'll probably be tweaking some stuff to my personal style and taste.

I'll be using the amazing map that
Dave Dave
msg tools
has created. Also, he is a great guy, very fun to play with, so there's that. Love him.

How to use the map

I'll try to get the cards in the map to reflect the draft, it might take a while.

How to Roll a Dice at boardgamegeek.com

House Cards

This is so you know what each card does but doesn't reflect the draft results.

Rules:

2nd Edition Rulebook (PDF)
Official FAQ
Official Responses from FFG

Additional Rules Clarifications
Game of Thrones: You also get one Power Token for each Port with at least one of your ships and no enemy Ships in the adjacent sea.
Dark Wings Dark Words: If "Collect Power Tokens" is chosen, it will be handled the same way as the "Game of Thrones" Westeros Card.[/q]

Game Guidelines
(stolen from my previous version that is also stolen from Dave42... though many are common knowledge)

Look at me more like an external mod. Every player should update the map after his/her move or raid as much as possible, and also spell out who is next in line to perform an action.

You are also encouraged to roll for Westeros Cards after finishing each round.

My aim is to enable you people to play a game, so I'll do what is needed to facilitate the game and not be in the way. I like watching games and so I enjoy by watching you people strategize and strive to win.

1) This is a no ravens game. That means means no private messages between players concerning the game. Every diplomacy has to be done publicly in this thread.

2) Use the banner on top of your posts.
Use bold text to highlight ingame actions.
Use italics for political statements.

3) Don't edit your posts. Or at least keep it to an absolute minimum. Edited posts tend to cause confusion. Editing typos of course doesn't change anything game-wise, but no one knows what you edited. If you do edit, please strikethrough what you want to change instead of deleting it. Deleting posts is similar. Please don't.

4) After sending me a PM with your orders, post on the thread so that we make those slow pokes submit their orders quickly.
You can change your mind until I post the map with the orders. You are most invite to send me your reasoning with your orders - what is your plan? What do you think others will do? You don't have to do that of course but it makes the game more interesting for me. I will never comment on this thoughts you send to me.

Regarding mistakes - if you forget to place an order in a territory or used an illegal order (according to Westeros III), I will notify you about it if I see it. The rationale is that when playing on a real board, these mistakes cannot occur - people will tell you if you missed a territory and illegal orders are placed outside of a player screen. However, if I miss the error too, those territories will most likely go without orders, although I'll use common sense.

However, I will not correct the mistake of placing too many special (i.e. starred) orders. This is an error that happens in real life as well. My house rule for that assumes this is an honest mistake. I therefore downgrade one randomly picked special orders to a regular order. If no such downgrade is available, the order is removed. That guarantees that there can be no strategic gain from such a mistake but also doesn't over punish human error.

5) Battles.
when you declare a battle, send me your house card and post a summary in the thread. Again, I would love to hear your thoughts and guess about what card you expect the enemy to play. You don't have to, of course, and I will never comment on it but it'll make it more interesting for me.

The default is that you always support yourself, but you can decide not to. If you asked for support from others, you may send house cards conditional on support (e.g. 'if Martell supports me, play Saan, if not - play Stannis'). Both players may ask for support - a defender may ask for support, and if such support is granted, Attacker needs to confirm their card. Attacker may also have conditional cards for opponents' support or wait before you send your card - but whatever you do, please note in the thread whether you sent the card. Support from other players must always be confirmed, in bold, after the move has been declared. This is because promising a support that won't be there is a valid tactic. If you need to confirm a support, don't send your House Card unless you're willing to have that card be used if the support doesn't come through. Once the attacker's card has been sent, the defender's card can be posted to thread. In general, there is no need for a mod when conducting battles and so I will try to stay out of that. However, I will make sure that the attacker's card is the right one and that there were no mistakes.

Calculation example for copy and paste, modify it according to the current battle:

[Attacker]
Initial Strength = 3 (1 KN, 1 FM)
Order = -1
Support = 0
Card = Sent to mod

Total = 2++

[Defender]
Initial Strength = 1 (1 FM)
Order = +1
Support = 1 (1 SH)
Card = ??

Total = 3++

If you are [Defender] in this example and you see that [Attacker] has sent his card, please post which card you want to use.
The [Attacker] or me will post a final summary of the battle.

*When you march, and you can possibly leave a Power Token (PT) in the area, you should always state if you want to leave one or not. It can matter a lot, especially before battles. The default assumption is NO unless you say you are.

6) Out of Turn (OOT) actions - I personally have some issues with OOT moves. Many times these are done with benign intentions, however the ability to commit to an action ahead of the time you perform it can be a serious advantage (it can also be a disadvantage, but that is obvious). Indeed, it can be to everybody's benefit; the only one who suffers is the game at large, which thrives on distrust. Also, OOT orders sometimes confuse the matter of who is next to move. Therefore, you may only post an action OOT if the action you're skipping can absolutely not affect you. I prefer you send them to me as Conditional orders. In cases of dispute, I will intervene.

7) Please notify if you are going to absent for a period of more than two days. We all have other things in real life and we're doing this for fun. Raven games tend to take longer so this might be here for a while, but please be mindful of your fellow gamers. If you have a rough week at work, we can give you a little more time but please post a notice saying that that's the case.

The deadline to take an action in this game is 24hs. As soon as 24hs have passed since the last action or a bid is open, except if the active player is waiting on a reply to a diplomatic message, I will notify the straggler via PM. After another 24hs go by, I will look for a replacement. You are strongly suggested to forward your BBG PMs to your regular mail inbox and suscribe to this thread.

This is valid Monday through Friday, I will wait for monday if there's a delay during a weekend.

8) Orders/PMs sent to me have to be formatted like this:
--- Orders:
------ AGoT PBF #179 - Round [Round #] - [House Name] - Orders
--- Bid:
------ AGoT PBF #179 - Round [Round #] - [House Name] - [IT/F/KC/W] Bid: [Bid Amount]
--- House Card:
------ AGoT PBF #179 - Round [Round #] - [House Name] - [Card Name]
--- Examples:
------ AGoT PBF #179 - Round 1 - Stark - Orders
------ AGoT PBF #179 - Round 2 - Stark - IT Bid: 5
------ AGoT PBF #179 - Round 2 - Stark - Roose Bolton[/q]

Also, I prefer orders to be sent in the format that dave's super map understands. It makes my job easier, and it makes it less likely that you screw up, because it means you're looking at your orders in the map before sending them.

In the next two posts I will post the result of the draft and the map as it stands when we begin the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier A. Perez
Argentina
CABA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Draft results:

The Kingdom of the Stormlands will be held by SmallMan_BigShadow

His Loyal Bannermen will be:

Stannis Baratheon
Gregor Clegane
Brienne of Tarth
Darkstar
Sallador Sahn
Asha Greyjoy
Cersei Lannister

He shall begin in position 6 in the Iron Throne, position 2 in the King's Court, and position 3 on Fiefdoms.

The Kingdom of the North will be held by theknightofcups

His Loyal Bannermen will be

Mace Tyrell
Robb Stark
Theon Greyjoy
Nestor Royce
Tyrion Lannister
Nymeria Martell
Doran Martell

He shall begin in position 5 in the Iron Throne, position 3 in the King's Court, and position 4 on Fiefdoms.

The Kingdom of the Reach will be held by stugreer

The Viper
Renly Baratheon
Balon Greyjoy
The Hound
The Blackfish
Kevan Lannister
Patchface

He shall begin in position 2 in the Iron Throne, position 4 in the King's Court, and position 5 on Fiefdoms.

The Kingdom of the Iron Islands will be held by bagisbjorn

Eddard Stark
Loras Tyrell
Roose Bolton
Randyll Tarly
Rodrick Cassell
Margaery Tyrell
Queen of Thorns

He shall begin in position 3 in the Iron Throne, position 5 in the King's Court, and position 6 on Fiefdoms.

The Kingdom of the Westerlands will be held by charemski

Bronze Yohn Royce
Littlefinger
Davos Seaworth
Jamie Lannister
Ariane Martell
Lothor Brune
Aeron Damphair

He shall begin in position 4 in the Iron Throne, position 6 in the King's Court, and position 1 on Fiefdoms.

The Kingdom of Dorne will be held by Blakmage86

Tywin Lannister
Victarion Greyjoy
Garlan Tyrell
Obara Sand
Alayne Stone
Dagmar Cleftjaw
Lysa Arryn

He shall begin in position 1 in the Iron Throne, position 1 in the King's Court, and position 2 on Fiefdoms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier A. Perez
Argentina
CABA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This map has the drafted order in the Influence Tracks: http://tinyurl.com/qMscsT41M1gQXE4Mdscp

Here is the map with the drafted House Cards: http://tinyurl.com/znTdNhHjWIKQ25tUJRGe

Please check!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier A. Perez
Argentina
CABA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
King bagisbjorn of the Iron Islands

Please confirm which Westeros or Wildling Card you'd like to see here, and I shall PM you the result.

You may start your diplomacy but please don't send me orders until I have posted the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peer
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Play to win!
mbmbmbmbmb

Greetings, Lords of Westeros!

Dark times are upon us... members of various houses have forsaken their residence and taken arms in new lands. I am certain that, like me, all of you are seeking to unite your people under one peaceful banner.

Lords of the Iron Islands and Stormlands,

I believe that, in the best interests of my people, who are in a state of confusion, that they regroup themselves and grow in isolation while I try to sort out this mess.

As your areas of influence are closest to mine, I would like to extend an offer of peace to both of you. The Lord of the North does not wish further chaos in the lands, especially since winter is coming, and the wildlings are preparing to lay ruin to our kingdom.

Lords of Dorne, the Reach, and Westerlands,

If there are situations which require my assistance, do not fear to ask for them. Should I be able to give them, I will. My only goal is to spread harmony and serenity amongst my people.

May the Seven Watch Over You All,
Eddard Stark Mace Tyrell

EDITED: Orders sent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Charem
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Welcome My Lords,

I would like to invite all of you to my wedding with princess Arienne. Bishop Aeron, servant of our new but only true God - The Drowned One - will conduct the ceremony. After the party you can take part in the biggest tourney ever. My favorites are great knights - survivors from The Vale earthquake - nobles from House Arryn. Their found a safe shelter in Westlands.
I hope you all will be here on time. You can use sea routes. Ironborns relinquished their raids history and sail with my Admiral Davos Seaworth to explore New World west from Westeros. Some of them say that World is round and they can reach Quarth by sailing West!
You can join to my trade company - managed by Lord Petyr Baelish - and we can share in investmens and incomes from those new trade routes.

King of Westerlands and South - Riverlands Jaime Lannister.

Dear Eddard, King of Iron Islands, will you be my groom?

Orders are in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stu Greer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools

Ser Kevan Lannister strode as confidently as he could towards the Council Room of Highgarden. It had been merely 2 hours since Lord Balon Greyjoy had arrived and already he was barking orders like he had owned the lands of Tyrell for centuries.

"What took you so long man?" sneered Lord Balon. "Never mind, I have little time as it is so sit down and hold you tongue".

"This land may look lush and pretty but it stinks. Stinks of cowards and peasants who would soil themselves just hearing the word war! Growing strong they say! Ha! We'll all be dead by the time anyone gets strong enough. We are weak and with our new neighbours we cannot afford to be seen as so. Highgarden has called its banners, who has answered?"

"My Lord Balon, we have Renly Baratheon fr..."

"Renly Baratheon! I speak of strength and the first name that comes to your tongue is him. No doubt he will be bringing his jester along with him. So the West has send me a queer and a fool, which one is which I cannot tell. No these are not the men I want. Send Renly to Court he is of no use to me here, we'll see if his 'charm' works on those who bother with words."

"My Lord, Prince Oberyn Martell, Brynden Tully and Ser Sandor Clegane have also called their banners for Highgarden".

"Yessss. There are some real fighting men. A Snake, a Dog and a Fish make for an unusual band but they are made of hard skin. Yes I think they will do quite well. Send for them at once, I must give them my orders without delay".

"Yes Lord Balon. And what of me my Lord?"

"You? Why you get the best job of the lot. Raise me an army to defend our lands. I don't care how you do it but you get these local flower boys fit to march and fight. There is war on the winds no matter what kind whispers these so called noble Lords give to each other".

Edit: Orders In!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Grafström
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Xapi wrote:
King bagisbjorn of the Iron Islands

Please confirm which Westeros or Wildling Card you'd like to see here, and I shall PM you the result.

You may start your diplomacy but please don't send me orders until I have posted the map.

I'd like to know the top card from Westeros deck 1 please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Grafström
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Eddard Stark looked upon their new home. Pyke. With a couple of changes it could be a charming place he thought but he was trying to fool himself. This was a forsaken island if ever one was to be found.

Luckily a group of soldiers had already been sent to the mainland to secure valuable resources, castles and land where things could grow. The words written in blood on the walls of the main hall still brought a chill to his bones, "We do not sow". What kind of people used to live here? Eddard was not sure he wanted to know.

When they searched for a new home they had found a family on a deserted island, the Tyrells. The mother was a clever one, not easily fooled by any means. The daughter was fair to the eye, but Eddard knew she would be of no real use to them. It probably brought a better mood to the mother, so young Margaery was not completely useless after all. The son, Loras, would be handy indeed. Highly skilled in combat with a nice spring to his feet, he could achieve great things. They were accompanied by a form of body guard in Randyll Tarly. He was a decent fighter, no more no less.

From his own household Rodrick Casell was a good master at arms. He would make Loras become even better, Eddard was sure of it. There was also Roose Bolton, a master tactician on the battlefield, with skills that made Eddard feel uncomfortable at times. And there was of course himself. Older than most of them, but still very skilled with the sword. He would not back down to anyone. This was his new home. He better get used to it.

I'm not a native english speaker, so if I don't get my point across I beg of your forgiveness and please do not hesitate to ask me to clarify things. Let's have a good game everybody!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Grafström
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Lord of Lannisport,

I send my deepest congratulations on your wedding. I believe you will be very happy together.

So could our houses as well. I have a proposition to you. My scouts tell me there are two great strongholds to be found to the east, Seagard and Riverrun. I believe we could share this equally among us, with you having Riverrun and myself aquiring Seagard. We would be neighbours then, and I hope we can establish a good friendship from there.

There is one thing though. The island I call my home, Pyke, can't truly be safe with other ships in the surrounding areas. The fleet I will dispose in Ironman's Bay will protect my home and more, even Riverrun should it ever be needed, but even the strongest fleet can be harmed by a single ship. May I suggest that you send orders to your sailors to return to port? The Golden Sound will never see the black ships I have at my disposal, you have my word on that. What say you to these suggestions?

Eddard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peer
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Play to win!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord Mace Tyrell, sitting at his seat in the North, looks over its lands. While the scenery is not what he is used to in Highgarden, he will have to adjust and make do with the best of his situation. There are representatives from every region of the realm, save the Stormlands, and they have all managed to get by without too many quarrels with each other.

"Squire, please send a raven to Lord Eddard Stark. I would like to occupy Moat Cailin in the season after next, and would find it acceptable for him to have Flint's Fingers. That is where I would like to draw the borders."

"To King Stannis, I would like to extend an offer of my protection from The Narrow Sea, should Crackclaw Point be on the defensive. In that regard, I would like to hold The Mountains of the Moon, so that I may gather supplies to feed my hungry people."

Mace retires to his chambers, ready for another day of uniting his people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Grafström
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Dear Mace,

I seem to have found a large part of your family lost at sea. Don't worry, I will take good care of them. Your offer seems fair, and I guess it will please you to have a large part of your family so close by.

I shall explore Flint's Finger in the coming seasons and Moat Cailin is yours in the seasons to come.

Eddard

I will wait for Lord Mod Xapi to inform me of the top card before sending my orders, I guess you all understand why

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Charem
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

My neighbour Eddard,

I have to occupy Golden Sound just because that is the most convenient transport on south-north route of my lands. I understand your concerns and can imagine that you need to secure your safety untill you finnally feel on this rocky islands like at home. I will support all your efforts to rebuild Iron Islands and will serve all advices that can be served by Lord who lives here in Westlands little longer than you. As a sign of good will I want to assure that Golden Sound fleet will never be bigger than fleet on Ironman's Bay waters.

Hope to hear often from you.

King on the Rock - Jaime Lannister

I also want to apologize also for my english in advance. Pity, because stories I create here are limited in quality matters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Snow
Canada
flag msg tools
mb

Lord Stark,

a peace would be welcome during these trying times. My wife has fallen ill. Thankfully the Lannister woman has been here help with her food and recently medicine preparations.

Stannis Baratheon,
First of his Name,
Lord of Dragonstone

Orders In

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peer
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Play to win!
mbmbmbmbmb
SmallMan_BigShadow wrote:

Lord Stark,

a peace would be welcome during these trying times. My wife has fallen ill. Thankfully the Lannister woman has been here help with her food and recently medicine preparations.

Stannis Baratheon,
First of his Name,
Lord of Dragonstone

Orders In

King Baratheon,

By your letter, I shall assume that it is acceptable for me to move into The Narrow Sea, as well as The Mountains on the Moon?

Yours Humbly,
Mace Tyrell

EDITED: Banner!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Snow
Canada
flag msg tools
mb

Mace,

Yes, though I wonder why you're in such a great rush south, both of these territories are yours by rights and I will not contest them as long as you remain true. After you've taken the Eyrie mayhaps you'll find a choicer spot to field an army or a knight than on my doorstep, but I would not object to the presence of a footmen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Snow
Canada
flag msg tools
mb

Mace,

I have some further thoughts on the matter;

I believe a war between our two houses will be a death sentence to the both of us and perhaps the entire realm. The generals at the disposal of Lord Eddard are, I fear, the strongest assembly the realm has seen since Aegon and his dragons. His ability to crush through his neighbors and devastate Houses in a single season should not be ignored by a single great Lord of this realm. I could easily take the Narrow Sea this season if I desired it, but that will accomplish little more than directing all of your focus away from where it needs to be.

Stannis Baratheon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peer
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Play to win!
mbmbmbmbmb

King Stannis,

Please forgive Lord Mace. He is quite homesick and has been distressed by the chaotic state of our land. With the help of our other councilmembers, I was able to convince him to take a short trip in one of the more peaceful parts of Winterfell.

I believe Lord Mace wants to recapture The Eyrie and the Mountains of the Moon because it is the farthest south he can go without evoking wrath from the other lords. He is quite anxious to arrive there and take seat at a place he can more consider home than the cold and isolated Winterfell. After all, a rose blooms more easily with plenty of sunlight.

As such, we appreciate the sentiments of those united under the Baratheon banner, and will be vigilant for any offenses from Lord Eddard Stark. As for now, I, as the rest of my council, am merely hoping to calm my people.

Respectfully Yours,
Prince Doran Martell

OOC: so I haven't read the books, and may sometimes get relationships/personalities incorrect. Sorry about that!

EDIT: Banner. Again. -_-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Grafström
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Stannis, lord of Dragonstone,

Why do you take me for a warmongerer? Does not my reputation as a noble and honest person travel to the great island of Dragonstone? The Lord of Winterfell has given me a proposal to secure peace, an offer I have accepted gladly in writing. I do thank you for your kind words regarding my closest members of office, Rodrick Cassel has done an excellent job to sharpen their skills. Perhaps his reputation outgrows my own?

Eddard

Jamie, lord of Lannisport,

I accept, with a grudge, that you might need the ship in The Golden Sound as transport. It won't take you far though, and the riches I think you seek is more easily obtained with horses and other types of transport. A ship there creates tension, but we will have to live with that I suppose.

Eddard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Grafström
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
theknightofcups wrote:

OOC: so I haven't read the books, and may sometimes get relationships/personalities incorrect. Sorry about that!

EDIT: Banner. Again. -_-

I've only seen the HBO show (all three seasons) and would like to avoid spoilers, if you all would be so kind

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James White
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb

Tywin Lannister looks over the desert he now calls home and thinks for a minute before calling for a maester. "Prepare two ravens maester."

To Lord Stanis,
Lord I wish peace between us but I must have room for my people to expand. As such I request you agree to allow me access to Storm's End and in exchange I will come no further north nor attack you.

To Lord Greyjoy,
As I wish peace between our people I propose that we set the boundry between our lands at the Prince's Pass and the Boneway belonging to me and the Arbor and Three Towers to you, in exchange I will not attack you and shall aid you if needed to defend your lands from others.

Edit: Orders sent

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Grafström
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

King Tywin of Dorne,

You are the protector of the realm, I and my household bend the knee to your grace. We are yours to command. May your rule be prosperous for us all.

Eddard

Orders sent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peer
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Play to win!
mbmbmbmbmb
That's all the orders, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Grafström
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
theknightofcups wrote:
That's all the orders, right?

I think so yes. Now we wait for Lord Mod Xapi to produce a map with our orders and then we really begin to play the game of thrones

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier A. Perez
Argentina
CABA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Turn 1 Orders

Lord Martell is up with the Raven

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [43] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.