Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua K.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even with starting at 0 threat, successful questing and pumping out chump blockers every turn is pretty much required.

The Balrog can also get so powerful with attachments and allies generally won't add to the quest because you are feeding them to The Balrog so the staging gets out of control resulting in failed questing putting you in a death spiral very quickly. I tried the quest maybe 5 times. I got furthest with dwarves but couldn't do enough damage to take down the Balrog on stage 3.

Aragh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Couple of options:

-Threat reduction. It seems redundant when starting at 0 threat, but if you can keep bringing your threat back to 0, then Durin's Bane won't attack you.

-Secrecy cards. You can choose super high cost heroes, yet still take advantage of all secrecy cards. This can help you equip Resourceful, bring allies into play for cheap or free, and scry/manipulate the Encounter deck to your advantage.

-"Hama lock". Some people might consider this cheap, but locking Durin's Bane down with repeated uses of Feint is undeniably effective. The old version of Feint would prevent him from attacking everyone, but the errata still allows you to prevent him from attacking you -- which if you're playing solo, is all you care about! The treachery card Counter-Spell is your worst enemy here, so be sure to have some cancellation ready, or use the Lore Secrecy cards to prevent it from showing up in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lent
United States
Novato
California
flag msg tools
badge
DEFINITELY A GOOD GUY, GUYS
mbmbmbmbmb
There were a lot of Dain-driven dwarf decks making the rounds when this quest came out; I think they had pretty significant success rates. Not that there's any quest a Dain deck isn't good against...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
Yes here is my Dwarfs deck.

Pretty easy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4g7bI-dzbk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua K.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK I finally beat it but it felt really close, like one more round would have been the end of me.

I used my dwarves again and quested to the 3rd phase very quickly. I had Nori so my threat stayed at zero by playing a dwarf every turn until the staging area got a little wild. The party ended after getting Massing in the Deep and Goblin Drummer resulting in failed questing and threat increase. My threat shot up to 14 so I had to defend against the Balrog. I eventually lost a hero but managed to get the Balrog down to 5 health and then used the Dark Pit ability. I failed the first attempt and had to go an extra round which almost ended me. But that's when I drew GANDALF!!! and won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds suitably epic. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.