Hide
9 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: It's the little things... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Bell
msg tools
First off, I love this game. This is my first foray into a real deep game like this. Absolutely wonderful, total immersion, great RPG elements, palpable feel to levelling up, and an amazing solo game (as well as 2-3 players). My only issue, and this is due to my inexperience playing these types of games, are the tiny little intricate rules you forget. I think many have talked about this on the forums, but man there are so many little rules I forget each playthrough and I realize I probably wouldn't have won had I remembered.

Most recently it was the shared resistances on a group attack and I may or may not have used Burning Shield wrong. Anyhow, just a wonderful game and I wanted to voice that as many probably have. If anyone is doubting buying this game, just go buy it, its so darn tasty!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not necessarily due to inexperience with heavy games in general. I think everybody gets rules wrong their first several games of Mage Knight, especially solo. There's a ton to remember, and you don't yet have a sense of how hard everything *should* be, so you don't think "this seems too easy... am I missing something?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
This happens to me all the time. Just last night I was near the end of a solo game and congratulating myself on getting all the rules right--and then I noticed I had placed a core tile illegally on the edge of the Wedge layout. There's always something to improve on...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure I'm still messing up some things with blocking and wounds, but I kind of don't care. I have only been playing solo, and I'm having a good time every time I play, so I'm not stressing about it until I'm bringing other people in to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Roundhill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
timbell02 wrote:
First off, I love this game. This is my first foray into a real deep game like this. Absolutely wonderful, total immersion, great RPG elements, palpable feel to levelling up, and an amazing solo game (as well as 2-3 players). My only issue, and this is due to my inexperience playing these types of games, are the tiny little intricate rules you forget. I think many have talked about this on the forums, but man there are so many little rules I forget each playthrough and I realize I probably wouldn't have won had I remembered.

Most recently it was the shared resistances on a group attack and I may or may not have used Burning Shield wrong. Anyhow, just a wonderful game and I wanted to voice that as many probably have. If anyone is doubting buying this game, just go buy it, its so darn tasty!!

Time will make you better at remembering everything, and you are more likely to remember the rule after it causes you to "lose" a game or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Held
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
This shark, swallow you whole.
badge
I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this game through many times, and still every now and then I'll catch myself forgetting something. It used to be the same thing (in my case) all the time-I forgot to add the bonus characteristics of enemies I fight in the city, depending on the city. About three weeks ago, I forgot to add brutal attack to the enemies I was fighting in a cooperative city battle, I calculated it up and thought that I was going to escape relatively unscathed. Uh, no. Upon recalculation, wounds a-plenty all around. I used to have slip-ups on little rules when I first started playing more often as the game progessed, because you get a bit of gaming fatigue and you overlook a rule that's still a little new to you. It happened a lot more when I first started playing, and sometimes if I play several games in a row, by the 2nd or 3rd game I'll notice my mind getting a little bit of Mage Knight numbness and I'll start to slip on rules.

Usually it's hard to know whether or not you would have won/lost the scenario based on a missed rule, unless it was some defining moment in the game or it you came down to the wire. Don't beat yourself down on that, happens to the best of us. In the grand gaming scheme, it's about the enjoyment you get while you play. You forgot a rule, you'll remember it for next time. And eventually, after your 5000th playthrough, you'll remember every rule off the top of your head like a crazy person. Plus, Wizkids doesn't mention this in the rulebook, but after your 5000th playthrough Vladda and Paul will throw you a surprise party-Tovak will be invited and won't give a damn, Krang will try to impress people with a shamanic ritual, Arythea will be in a corner perform a dark negotiation and creep out all of your friends and loved ones. It'll be really weird.

Disclaimer: I've been told there is no Mage Knight party, and all said characters are fictional. No need to buy those heavy-duty paper plates for Goldlyx.

I second you on your feelings about the game game, the reason I initially signed up for this website was because of my love for this game. Best game I've played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bell
msg tools
Yes! Thanks for the replies everyone. I do have a blast playing every time, just an observation. For once I am not mad at myself for not "doing it right." And I too made a profile for BGG because of this game, go figure! Getting ancy thinking about a blitz solo conquest for tonight

Thanks again all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
There's a ton to remember, and you don't yet have a sense of how hard everything *should* be, so you don't think "this seems too easy... am I missing something?"

Do you have Altem Mages, a full roster of units, Tremor, Mass Expose, Into the Heat, and Maximal Effect with a fist full of mana? In that case, yes, it really is that easy. Otherwise...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Zuniga
Spain
Sevilla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahahaha!!! Altem Mages and Expose for the win!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.