Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
I occasionally found out that I had missed some really great kickstarter, sometimes just after it closes, and I would like to find a geeklist that helps one to find the key kickstarter projects.

For example I want to know about:
* Kickstarters that have unique content for the kick starter that will not be available later or will be much more expensive. Examples: Ultimate Werewolf Deluxe which had the unique artists, the Minion games Sci Fi coins that are generally useful for games which were such a great deal during the kickstarter, the railways of the world plastic pieces and kickstarter only cards.
* Ones that have kickstarter exclusives and seem likely to get completed.
* Ones that are accelerating with unique stretch goals.

I don't want to know about:
* Games which just kickstart a game that will be available in retail anyway (e.g. Queen Games).
* The kickstarters that are miniature based. (Personally they don't interest me.)
* The hundreds of other kickstarters that may or may not pass that are just tough to filter through.

I am looking mostly for the main players, however that is defined. I would like to find out about them before they close, but not so many that it is hard to keep track of the list.

I know this is strongly personal preference, but can someone point me to an existing geeklist that focuses on the high quality kickstarters, rather than being all inclusive?

Perhaps this is pie in the sky, but I thought I would ask. Most of the geeklists I have seen are either all inclusive of all kickstarters, or individual lists that may or may not be updated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always start one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mat628 wrote:
You could always start one.
Yes, good point.

I thought I would first ask if there was one.

The next process would be to find a way to hit critical mass in participation.

The third process would be finding people to contribute. At the moment personal issues prevent me from focusing on creating it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a group on Facebook dedicated to Boardgaming Kickstarter announcements. Then there is the Crowdsourcing announcement thread in the Press Releases Forum...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Christiansen
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
I would spread the cloths under your feet: But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
badge
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/156957/what-kickstarter-projects-are-you-currently-backin

I can't promise no queen or minis games, but it's a list where people add projects they are interested in. So a lot of the random brick a brac is filtered out since no one adds it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renate Cloake
United Kingdom
Worthing
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's the What Kickstarter Projects Are You Currently Backing And Why? which is a list of Kickstarters that people are currently excited about. Mostly people have stated why they're backing them which makes it slightly more interesting than the complete lists of everything currently on Kickstarter.

ninja by Phil, but my link works

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Christiansen
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
I would spread the cloths under your feet: But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
badge
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
mbmbmbmbmb
What?!? Epic link fail. I r shame
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience with geeklists is that they're better suited to snapshots than to ongoing tracking -- particularly with Kickstarter, where all of the information has a pretty short expiration date.

There's also the problem that your definition of "high quality" is not likely to be widely shared. I don't care about minis campaigns, either, but there's no denying that they're incredibly popular at BGG. A resource that skips them is crippling itself. The Queen-style just-a-preorder campaigns are dull, but they're also pulling in cash. I can't fathom why so many playing card decks are on Kickstarter, but they seem to have a really high project success rate -- so again, somebody cares.

That said, have you checked out the Kick the Table - A Kickstarter Monitor blog? That plus the BGG News crowdfunding roundups might be a good 80% solution. I'd love it if Last Kicks would just leave off the stuff that's nearing deadline with less than a third of funding, as those aren't hitting their goals. But filtering on the basis of quality? Eh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Sterling. We really could use a filtered view. All the links above are too broad. Links above are like Gone Cardboard--too much to wade through for those who are looking for the hits. The goal is not a 90% solution, but rather just the opposite, a (top) 10% solution. The critical point being that the 10% represents games that not only look promising, but also provide some real incentive to kickstart rather than wait for retail ((beyond "you helped fund the game"--let's not go there, and beyond price since online prices seem to typically be comparable to or even better than kickstarter "discount" prices anyway).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are great suggestions and I will look at them.

I guess I was kind of dreaming like Curt was saying: A Low volume geeklist/thread, that just listed the "Hey, don't miss out on this oportunity!" things.

Of course it is subjective. But I figured it was worthwhile asking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
Here's a start: Gone Cardboard and sorted by wishlist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
I'm with Sterling. We really could use a filtered view. All the links above are too broad. Links above are like Gone Cardboard--too much to wade through for those who are looking for the hits. The goal is not a 90% solution, but rather just the opposite, a (top) 10% solution. The critical point being that the 10% represents games that not only look promising, but also provide some real incentive to kickstart rather than wait for retail ((beyond "you helped fund the game"--let's not go there, and beyond price since online prices seem to typically be comparable to or even better than kickstarter "discount" prices anyway).

A top 10% solution includes minis games, though. They are the ones I've seen throw in the most stretch goals and other incentives, by far.

Last Kicks provides a pretty good summary of ongoing Kickstarter status: check out the top 10% of projects ending in the coming week (by % of target funding) and you'll do fairly well for minimal time investment. Evaluating "real incentive" is going to be fairly personal, anyway: one person's promo miniature must-have is another's customs and shipping nightmare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
Here's a start: Gone Cardboard and sorted by wishlist
Very nice. I just wish I could limit to ones still open.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
Here - sorted by end date
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
Excellent!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Solamar wrote:
I don't want to know about:

* The hundreds of other kickstarters that may or may not pass that are just tough to filter through.

This is the problem with your idea. Even if you limit your proposed list only to items that are definitely going to fund and that have Kickstarter exclusives and/or interesting stretch goals, the list is likely to be so large as to be unmanageable and to require filtering to find games that fit your personal preferences.

What you're basically asking is for somebody to pre-filter Kickstarter for you based on your subjective game interests... which is impossible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.