Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
39 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions » WBC

Subject: What games do you play at WBC that you don't play any other time of the year? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several games that are "events" at WBC that take them from average or below average games to must plays for me. One game I cannot imagine playing anywhere else is Facts in Five. At WBC, every chair in the lecture hall is filled, with additional players sitting on the floor. There have been at least three different GMs while I have been attending WBC, and each has made the game a lot of fun.

What games go from no play to must play at WBC for you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Pearce
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Pro Golf & Slapshot here. I will play Liar's Dice and Can't Stop outside of the Con, and have yet to try the last of the Silly-Event-To-End-The-Day tournies, Elchfest (but I bet that it might get some love on this list...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaarin Engelmann
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
B-17 is one that I enjoy at WBC for the camaraderie.

Slapshot just isn't as much fun without about 200 friends.

I can't usually get in many games of Attack Sub except at WBC.

I haven't played as much lately at WBC, but Gangsters is a fun event there.

There are many more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My answer is a lot like Glen's.

Pro Golf
Facts in Five
Elk Fest
1830: Railways & Robber Barons
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slapshot is the real answer. I can't imagine playing it at any other time than the first Saturday night in August.

However, there are a few others that I'd LIKE to play a lot more, but due to The Cult of the New I really only get to play at WBC:

Tigris and Euphrates
El Grande
Adel Verpfictet
Acquire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Owen
United States
Lorton
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it's Wooden Ships & Iron Men - not because I don't want to play it any other time of year, but just because it seems to be the only time all year that I get to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Whitpan
United States
Schwenksville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With regular gaming I like to get a few games in, but with WBC and all day games I hope to get some bigger ones in....

18xx
Eclipse
Maybe give TI3 a try....

But mostly I will enjoy grabbing a game and trying to learn it, and meeting new people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. R. Tracy
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Letters from Whitechapel - one big late-night game every year. Always good fun.

JR
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Saccenti
United States
Colora
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elk Fest
Slapshot
Formula Motor Racing
Goa
Amun-Re
Union Pacific
Pirate's Cove
Leaping Lemmings
Titan: the Arena
Can't Stop
Adel Verpflichtet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Latto
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When I try to play RoboRally outside of WBC, people either want to set up a course that will take 8 hours to run, or play without a timer. So I pretty much only play it at WBC, where I know there will be a timer and a reasonable-length course.

I rarely play Slap Shot or Facts in Five outside of WBC; the atmosphere at the WBC tournaments makes these more fun.

Lots of people I game with don't like Amun-Re or Ivanhoe, so while I try to play these at other times, probably half of my plays are at WBC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andylatto wrote:
When I try to play RoboRally outside of WBC, people either want to set up a course that will take 8 hours to run, or play without a timer. So I pretty much only play it at WBC, where I know there will be a timer and a reasonable-length course.

Andy - do your non-WBC opponents object to a timer when only one player is still deciding or are you trying to use one from the beginning of the turn?

I enjoy this game at WBC, but I find we laugh more playing it at home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I rarely get to play March Madness outside of BPA events (WBC or the online tourney). Maybe 1 game with the wife the rest of the year ... maybe.

I hit up enough variety of game groups throughout the year that the others get played more than once or twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Latto
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
actuaryesquire wrote:
andylatto wrote:

Andy - do your non-WBC opponents object to a timer when only one player is still deciding or are you trying to use one from the beginning of the turn?

I enjoy this game at WBC, but I find we laugh more playing it at home.

I think someone would object to even using a timer when there's one player left. And I'm not sure I would like the game as much with the timer only when it's down to one player---that would mean that if there's one slow player in the group, I would have all the time I need. What makes the game fun for me is when there's enough time pressure that I make mistakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy - for how long do you set the timer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaarin Engelmann
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with Andy that, for me, the game is more fun with a timer.

With new people, we usually give them a couple of turns untimed, then a three minute turn, then two minute turns....

Or maybe that is Gangsters....but the same applies with the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Latto
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
actuaryesquire wrote:

Like I said, the only time I play with a timer is at WBC. I think the rules there are 3 minutes for the first two rounds (can be shortened to 2 minutes by unanimous consent) and 2 minutes for subsequent rounds. But it might be a minute longer than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saccenti wrote:
Elk Fest
Slapshot
Formula Motor Racing
Goa
Amun-Re
Union Pacific
Pirate's Cove
Leaping Lemmings
Titan: the Arena
Can't Stop
Adel Verpflichtet

Scott - Formula Motor Racing and Can't Stop were played at the last Oxford Road Con. I would be happy to play Goa and Adel Verpflichtet at the next one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
andylatto wrote:
actuaryesquire wrote:

Like I said, the only time I play with a timer is at WBC. I think the rules there are 3 minutes for the first two rounds (can be shortened to 2 minutes by unanimous consent) and 2 minutes for subsequent rounds. But it might be a minute longer than that.

That is my recollection also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom DeMarco
United States
Cinnaminson
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dweeb wrote:
Slapshot is the real answer. I can't imagine playing it at any other time than the first Saturday night in August.

However, there are a few others that I'd LIKE to play a lot more, but due to The Cult of the New I really only get to play at WBC:

Tigris and Euphrates
El Grande
Adel Verpfictet
Acquire

Dave, you know you can always play Adel Verpflichtet at my house 3x a year. And I think you could interest me in getting up a game of Euphrat & Tigris, too.

Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Glenn
United States
Berea
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that Princes of Florence is best at WBC. I try to play it through the year but only get in like a game or 2 the whole rest of the year, and Princes at WBC with 5 good players is one of the most epic intense games and that is why its my favorite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
- Facts in Five (the GM, John Corrado, does an excellent job running it--and I should know, because used to run it myself.)
- Pro Golf (Yes, it is stupid game, but it is tradition! One year I filled in fror the Voice of Pro Golf, to announce the finals.)
- Slap Shot (another only fun at WBC event)
- Ace of Aces (A good filler in between the other tournaments.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rri1 wrote:

- Pro Golf (Yes, it is stupid game, but it is tradition!

Gotta disagree with you here. Pro Golf is the pinnacle of board game strategic competition. Not only is it a very complex game to learn, but try teaching it to a newbie!! The looks on their faces when they realize how difficult and multifaceted the game is, and then the look you get when the light bulb goes off for them and they truly learn the intricate nature of the game. Pro Golf man ... that's hardcore stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigtaulefty wrote:
rri1 wrote:

Gotta disagree with you here. Pro Golf is the pinnacle of board game strategic competition.

Watch out, there's a new golf kid on the block, The Front Nine.. This time, not playing, but building a golf course. However, hands up, I'm bound to be biased!! blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
sigtaulefty wrote:
rri1 wrote:

Gotta disagree with you here. Pro Golf is the pinnacle of board game strategic competition.

Watch out, there's a new golf kid on the block, The Front Nine.. This time, not playing, but building a golf course. However, hands up, I'm bound to be biased!! blush

Best of luck with it.

I think my favorite golf game is another I usually only played at WBC - during down time with my dad. Box of Golf: A Classic Golf Board Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank McNally
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Republic of Rome, and it is back this year!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.