Popular Tags: [View All]
Timur Tabi
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/valta/official-dominion...

This one holds all of the expansions, and it looks pretty cool. $135 is a bit much, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks pretty vast. A dedicated section for every single card? Including each prize?? Christ, much overkill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I already have a storage solution but that seems like a lot of money for a game that may not be finished expanding. We are already expecting promo #6 this year.

Other than that Im more impressed by it then others I have seen.

Edit: I take that back. Looks like there are six or so extra spots in the bottom right. I guess it is safe as long as another expansion comes out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Among the best I've seen was a binder, with pages of 9 pockets each, thick enough to carry 10+ kingdom cards each. That seems a lot more compact than this too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Hockey Mask wrote:
I already have a storage solution but that seems like a lot of money for a game that may not be finished expanding. We are already expecting promo #6 this year.

Edit: I take that back. Looks like there are six or so extra spots in the bottom right. I guess it is safe as long as another expansion comes out.

Donald has already said the game is done with the exception of a few promos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Hockey Mask wrote:

Donald has already said the game is done with the exception of a few promos.

Last I heard he may be willing to revisit with another expansion at some pint in the future if he is asked, there is demand, and he has time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
Of all the cases I've seen on Kickstarter so far, this looks like the best value for the money. Well designed, labels for everything, and designed to fit sleeves. I'm happy with my Hobby Lobby artist's case, so I won't be picking it up, but it looks like a great solution for those who sleeve and don't want to DIY.

However, the goal is somewhat bizarre to me. 495 pledge slots at $135 each. A goal of $66,500 means that 493 of those 495 slots need to be filled. Not much of a safety buffer, especially if you have some late cancellations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timur Tabi
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Putts wrote:
However, the goal is somewhat bizarre to me. 495 pledge slots at $135 each. A goal of $66,500 means that 493 of those 495 slots need to be filled. Not much of a safety buffer, especially if you have some late cancellations.

I think he made a math error. 500 slots is $67,500, not $66,500.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really disappointed to see there's no international shipping for the case. I know he's doing a lot for a one-man job but that's the only thing from stopping me from investing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
STIG240 wrote:
Really disappointed to see there's no international shipping for the case. I know he's doing a lot for a one-man job but that's the only thing from stopping me from investing
Curious, I take it there haven't been any of these sort of projects local to you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Bissell
United States
Bangor
Maine
flag msg tools
Living the dream!
badge
Life is short, play board games
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald stated in an interview last summer that he was going to do a Kickstarter with 2 or 3 storage options for the Dominion cards and at that time it wold be on Kickstarter in a few months but here we are in 2014 and I have not heard anything more about it. Is he still planning on doing it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon T
Australia
Peakhurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TARDIS2008 wrote:
Donald stated in an interview last summer that he was going to do a Kickstarter with 2 or 3 storage options for the Dominion cards and at that time it wold be on Kickstarter in a few months but here we are in 2014 and I have not heard anything more about it. Is he still planning on doing it?

Are you sure it was Donald? It sounds a lot like what Jay from Rio Grande was talking about in this interview from Origins 2013:

The relevant part of the interview starts at 7:44
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
STIG240 wrote:
Curious, I take it there haven't been any of these sort of projects local to you?

AFAIK, no. I like the simplicity and convince of the case because all I've got at the minute is a custom made insert for the base game box (thanks to the online tutorials from The Esoteric Order of Gamers) that hold the base game, Seaside, Guilds and the Promos (all in FFG sleeves).

If something like this case were to be set up in Europe, then i'd invest in a shot. All the same though, I wish him luck in getting the case funded!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Josephus wrote:
In case anyone missed it:

Risks and Challenges

"I do not have any capital to contribute if the project requires unexpected funding.
If I die or am incapacitated, no one will pick up this project where I left off.
I do not have any experience as a designer, business-person, accountant, or most of the other roles of this project. I am learning as I go and will probably make mistakes.
Bottom line: I am just a regular dude who wants to make a cool Dominion Case, but do not possess some of the experience that might make you comfortable. There is risk involved."

This project has disaster written all over it.

There are so many potential pitfalls with this project and I'm not confident that the creator could deal with any of them. He has invested no money, minimal amount of effort and has admitted that if something unexpected happens he basically walks away.

If I was at a convention and this guy was there with a stand selling the bag which I could touch and buy there and then I would probably pick this up. I would want to check the quality as all those cards weigh quite a bit and I'd really want to make sure all the sleeved cards actually fit.

This is the third Dominion Case KickStarter Project attempted by the same person. The first was cancelled because of some recommendations by backers/changes in the design or something like that. The second did not reach its funding goal. It looks like the only difference between this third attempt and the previous one is that the case is now "officially licensed" or something like that.

I wish him luck, but I think this is destined for the same fate as the last two attempts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timur Tabi
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beaveman wrote:
It looks like the only difference between this third attempt and the previous one is that the case is now "officially licensed" or something like that.

I don't think that's quite true. I've been following his progress since the second Kickstarter, and he has done a lot of work to redesign his case. I think his disclaimer is unfair to himself. He has more experience than he claims. He already has a mold and a manufacturer lined up, he just needs the money to get the initial order of 500 cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
tabicat wrote:
Beaveman wrote:
It looks like the only difference between this third attempt and the previous one is that the case is now "officially licensed" or something like that.

I don't think that's quite true. I've been following his progress since the second Kickstarter, and he has done a lot of work to redesign his case. I think his disclaimer is unfair to himself. He has more experience than he claims. He already has a mold and a manufacturer lined up, he just needs the money to get the initial order of 500 cases.

But the "I do not have any capital to contribute" bit is alarming. Nearly every Kickstarter project I've backed has had some sort of "unexpected expense" that has required the project creator to contribute some of their own money to ensure that the rewards are fulfilled, whether it's higher-than-expected shipping costs, stretch rewards that weren't properly thought out, or a design flaw discovered during production that required remedy.

As I previously pointed out in this thread, he has a very specific target to reach, and with limited reward slots, there's zero room for him to "overfund". If he hasn't built a reasonable buffer for profit into his pricing, then things could be disastrous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it come with a treatment for back pain?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Bissell
United States
Bangor
Maine
flag msg tools
Living the dream!
badge
Life is short, play board games
mbmbmbmbmb
thewagon wrote:
TARDIS2008 wrote:

Are you sure it was Donald? It sounds a lot like what Jay from Rio Grande was talking about in this interview from Origins 2013:

The relevant part of the interview starts at 7:44

Yes, that was the interview I was thinking about. I was thinking it was Donald. Thank you for correcting my faulty memory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timur Tabi
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Putts wrote:
As I previously pointed out in this thread, he has a very specific target to reach, and with limited reward slots, there's zero room for him to "overfund". If he hasn't built a reasonable buffer for profit into his pricing, then things could be disastrous.

Well, yeah, I can't disagree with that. It is a bit concerning that he's looking for exactly 495 backers (why not 500?). Maybe he can only get them made in groups of 500, so he can't actually make 510 of them.

baba44713 wrote:
Does it come with a treatment for back pain?

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
Wow you hovered. I'm honored.
badge
My Dog Has Fleas
mbmbmbmbmb
So the top of the whole thing is pressing against the top of the cards with nothing protecting them from stuff set on top?

IMHO: The Hobby Lobby Artists case is a better option that fills all his requirements. 1/3 the price if you buy the case yourself (use HobbyLobby coupon on the HL site) and insert separately from thebrokentoken.com or they have a nice looking pre-assembled engraved and licensed one for $99 - and no Kickstarter wait/risk.

I'll freely admit I'm a BrokenToken insert fanboy:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Horner
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
STIG240 wrote:
If something like this case were to be set up in Europe, then i'd invest in a shot. All the same though, I wish him luck in getting the case funded!

Why not do your own KickStarter? You could even talk to the vendor who's solution you like the best and see if you can buy a license to produce and sell it in Europe (they give you the design files and you get it made locally).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timur Tabi
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
millercv wrote:
IMHO: The Hobby Lobby Artists case is a better option that fills all his requirements.

Not quite all of his requirements. His case lets you insert and remove cards easily, without having the rest of the cards collapse. I have a cheapo case that has this problem, and it drives me crazy. I'd love to have this new case, but I'm not sure it's worth $135 for a game that I don't play very often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tabicat wrote:
His case lets you insert and remove cards easily, without having the rest of the cards collapse. I have a cheapo case that has this problem, and it drives me crazy. I'd love to have this new case, but I'm not sure it's worth $135 for a game that I don't play very often.

I have a hobby lobby box and made simple folded cardboard inserts that surround the treasure and green cards. when I remove them for play the cardboard stays and hold up the rest of the cards. simple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VALTA Tactician
msg tools
My case is way different than the other solutions. A major difference is that my case can be mass-produced overseas. Once I get the funding, all I need to do is pay for the cases, and then ship them out to the backers.

I have a lot of fun playing Dominion with friends, and this case makes it easy to transport, while still making the cards easy to find/put away. That was the focus I had when designing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After my experiences with Thunderstone and Nightfall, I'm finding I prefer to carry DGBs using multiple, smaller boxes. Anybody else feel this way? It's just much easier to put work them into my bags.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.