Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Will Beacon, Omnitron-V, or the stand-alone version of the Operative be coming to the card game at any point? Will there be a Tactics-inspired expansion for the original game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig McRoberts
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jcb231 wrote:
Will Beacon, Omnitron-V, or the stand-alone version of the Operative be coming to the card game at any point? Will there be a Tactics-inspired expansion for the original game?

Given that Tactics takes place five years after the SotM storyline ends, don't hold your breath.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Sinnett
United States
Philomath
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I don't know that -all- of those aren't likely to be in SotM. Just going by the background info, I'd expect Beacon to be running around before too much longer on that timeline, given that we're already one expansion past the branch point that creates that identity.

On the other hand, we've only seen Omnitron I and II, so there's still two more of those to see in SotM before V turns up.

Operative sounds like she's freshly back from wherever, as of Tactics, so I suspect we won't be seeing her, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have had no expansions past the branch point that creates that identity, Vengeance is the point where Legacy/Youngest Legacy dies. Shattered Timelines is just that, something shattered the timelines and made things happen that altered the timelines (which allows the Beacon identity to exist at all).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tjarks
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait... there's a story?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Dreamshadow wrote:
Wait... there's a story?

Yep. It's basically a nice little comic book mythology they created. It's all in the rulebooks. Well, most of it at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is also why I had to explain to my 8-year-old at Halloween that there were no real Sentinel Comics. He wanted to carve the pumpkin to look like Absolute Zero.

As it stands, he got AZ's character art blown up & framed as part of his present from points very far north.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Gowans
United States
OMAHA
NE
flag msg tools
LONG LIVE SAMMY!
badge
Have you read the Psion series?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, there's a story. An insanely garbled one that's like reading chapter headlines to try to understand a novel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynk Fox
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
And if you want a much easier way to figure out the story (still spread out but...)

check out the Sentinels of the Multiverse Wiki

sotm.wikidot.com

Tactics takes place after the SOTM card game, so you will not see Beacon in the card game other than as Young Legacy. The storyline for SOTM Card has been set since the beginning.

Christopher Badell talks about the storyline on GFBR

http://gfbrobot.com/2014/03/26/house-rules-82-discussing-sen...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
To me though, the fact that Tactics takes place later doesn't mean the ideas from it can't be used as cards in the core game. Time Travel clearly exists in this world, so they can justify anything and everything!

If they released the characters from Tactics as promo cards (for Visionary, Omnitron, etc) and additional decks (for Beacon, Operative, etc) then one could just play a round of the card game set in that "future timeline" if they wanted. Or you could mix and match. No reason Beacon can't travel back in time somehow.

I think restricting things in the game for the sake of plot, when the game has a fairly light plot to begin with, is shooting themselves in the foot a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you underestimate the story, there are so many strands interweaving to make the fiction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Matchstickman wrote:
I think you underestimate the story, there are so many strands interweaving to make the fiction.

True, but why must they negate having fun and unique characters in the card game? Why can't the card game represent many eras of this fictional universe's world?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynk Fox
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jcb231 wrote:
Matchstickman wrote:

True, but why must they negate having fun and unique characters in the card game? Why can't the card game represent many eras of this fictional universe's world?

Because Christopher Badell is quite happy with his storyline. And it's pretty well set as he and Adam have designed it.

Not that there wont be a ton of fan based promo's im certain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jcb231 wrote:

Why do medieval war games not use fighter jets? Because it doesn't fit with the timeline. >G have a set story for this iteration of the card game, that is the story they are telling there. Tactics has a different storyline, with different characters and a different timeline.

There is nothing to say that all of the characters in the card game survived to make it to the Tactics timeline, I doubt we will ever see an Iron Legacy here for example, does that make Tactics lesser for not having everything from the card game?.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matchstickman wrote:
Why do medieval war games not use fighter jets?

I vaguely remember a game where you can fight at the alamo, but you have apache helicopters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matchstickman wrote:
jcb231 wrote:

Why do medieval war games not use fighter jets? Because it doesn't fit with the timeline. >G have a set story for this iteration of the card game, that is the story they are telling there. Tactics has a different storyline, with different characters and a different timeline.

There is nothing to say that all of the characters in the card game survived to make it to the Tactics timeline, I doubt we will ever see an Iron Legacy here for example, does that make Tactics lesser for not having everything from the card game?.

Well, yes, definitionally, it does make it lesser. Whether it feels incomplete is a different question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.