Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Urbion» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Taken to School By My Geek Colleagues, or How I Learned to Lose at Urbion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Suzanna
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Today I played two more solo games of Urbion, having read your comments carefully and watched the Drive-Thru Review playthrough video. I am really not sure how I managed to do things so incorrectly having read the directions on my own, except that I think the ones I found on here are actually incomplete.

First game:
So my first game tonight went along pretty smoothly. There were ups and downs. I discarded a card to pay for everything I did, and with that, took the risk of getting a Chaos card with everything I did. I balanced some cities. Once or twice I managed to balance two at once. Things got tight, with 3 cards to a side in several spots, and some pretty high totals, but I hung on for a long time.

I didn't quite manage to run out of cards before I just got over-balanced with too many 5's on the negative side, and there was nothing more I could do, which was too bad, because I only had two cities left at that point!

Second game:
The second game was a good deal shorter. Things started out promisingly. Fairly early on in the game, I had all four cities balanced. All I had to do was draw a non-Chaos card, and then I could discard one and balance those bastards! But no. It was not to be. The card I drew was, of course, a Chaos card. As was the next one. So I desperately scored the surviving 2 cities before they got away from me too. It will be a while before I have the courage to try to do the four cities at once again! It wasn't too long after that that all hell broke loose with the Chaos cards, and I went under with at least half the deck left.

Thoughts:
This is more like it! It's funny how playing a game correctly makes it more enjoyable. I'm still not sure this is going to end up being the game for me, but I do like it a good deal better tonight than I did last night. I am sticking with my plan of playing at least 10 times before making my final judgement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cosined
United States
Walpole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just a heads up, in case you missed it (I did for months): When taking the balance action, you can remove balanced portions of the cities, you just can't claim the city when you do so. This really helps when you get jammed up with 3 cards on each side multiple cities.

Example:

-1,-4,-2|CITY|+2,+2,+1

While not completely balanced, you could remove the -1, -4, +2's, & +1 during the balance action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Gagnon
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
cosined wrote:
Just a heads up, in case you missed it (I did for months): When taking the balance action, you can remove balanced portions of the cities, you just can't claim the city when you do so. This really helps when you get jammed up with 3 cards on each side multiple cities.

Example:

-1,-4,-2|CITY|+2,+2,+1

While not completely balanced, you could remove the -1, -4, +2's, & +1 during the balance action.

I'm usually torn about this strategy. On the plus side you can play more cards and don't usually feel constrained with the 3 limit. However, I have found that by leaving the cards, you have more to play with if you are exchanging them from one city to the other. It has lead me to a higher percent of wins (which technically, is not much but some)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cosined
United States
Walpole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
RAVENTROLL wrote:
I'm usually torn about this strategy.

I wasn't really suggesting a strategy, just highlighting an often overlooked nuance of the rules.

I've played maybe 5 or 6 times, and lost every time. I know nothing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jade Youngblood
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cosined wrote:

Example:

-1,-4,-2|CITY|+2,+2,+1

Wow, I did not know this...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.