Popular Tags: [View All]
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally getting to run OP6 this weekend. I have been Romulan faithful for the entire 6 month event. I'm looking for something with a little bite for this month that also makes use of the open battlefield as well as having some expendable crew to send to the station if the chance arises. I'm in first place in the overall points, but the second place player is right on my heels. Third is out of contention really so it all comes down to me beating that one player overall for DS9 (no pressure).

Our only house rule is a limit of 1 cloaked mine (basically we treat them as unique as they should have been ).

There is no rule on playing faction pure, but most of our players have been since the beginning.

This is what I ran last month and it was very effective, but it lacks the expendable crew to beam to DS9.

28 valdor class
4 toreth
28 valdor class
4 donatra
18 GGT
3 valdor
5 plasma torpedoes
10 romulan flagship

I was thinking of changing it up slightly for OP6. I was toying with the following, but it lacks the overall punch that I was getting with last months build.

28 Valdore Class
6+1 Picard (I call him Shinzon to make me feel better faction wise, lol)
28 Valdore Class
4 Toreth
14 Apnex
4 Donatra
1 Bochra
1 Parem
3 Cloaked Mines
10 Flagship (Romulan)

The Apnex gives the other two a bonus die at range 1 from donatra, and a reroll at range 1-2 from the flagship. It has two crew that can beam to the station if a window arises, and can use the mines to slow my opponents approach to the station or to cover the stations blind spot if I do take it.

The other two ships are pretty straight forward. High attacks, ok survivability. Picard offers action economy as well as a skill 9, Toreth gives a free hit to crit bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin OConnor
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
What is your favorite color?
mbmbmbmbmb
you could also try to stick transwarp on your Apnex so you can get to DS9 on the first move and beam crew over.

Sure they can blow up the DS9 BUT that means they are shooting at DS9 and not your other ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I forget, did we determine whether a Romulan Pilot could get you to DS9 on Turn 1?

edit: I guess it must, since a transwarp can. (Honestly though, in my experience doing so wasn't all that useful.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Echo2Omega wrote:
you could also try to stick transwarp on your Apnex so you can get to DS9 on the first move and beam crew over.

Sure they can blow up the DS9 BUT that means they are shooting at DS9 and not your other ships.

I don't think a 6 alone can do it. Without something like a romulan pilot to move that little extra, I don't think you can make it, at least that's what I keep finding in my play testing.

My main plan is to attack my enemy head on, or from the flank if they go for the station. If I have a good opening, or end up a ship or two ahead, I will go for the station. I found in month 1 that trying to take the station led to losing ships that had lowered their shields to beam over and more often than not lost the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Thomson
United States
Oak Lawn
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
I won Op6 with this Romulan build
List Name

Resource: Flagship Romulan (10)

Valdore (28)
Donatra (4)
Flagship (0)
Ship SP: 32

Valdore (28)
Romulan Captain (0)
Bochra (1)
Parem (1)
Ship SP: 30

Valdore (28)
Romulan Captain (0)
Ship SP: 28

Total Build SP: 100

Generated by STAW Builder
http://www.dracossoftware.com/STAWHome.html

It worked really well no one i went againt tried taking the station and they managed to stay just outside of the fire arcs so in 3 rounds it only got one shot off. but 3 Valdores with Donatra's +1A along with the Romulan flagships' free attack rerolls worked Very well. I faced a Fed/Kling/Dom Fleet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trueborn wrote:
I won Op6 with this Romulan build
List Name

Resource: Flagship Romulan (10)

Valdore (28)
Donatra (4)
Flagship (0)
Ship SP: 32

Valdore (28)
Romulan Captain (0)
Bochra (1)
Parem (1)
Ship SP: 30

Valdore (28)
Romulan Captain (0)
Ship SP: 28

Generated by STAW Builder
http://www.dracossoftware.com/STAWHome.html

It worked really well no one i went againt tried taking the station and they managed to stay just outside of the fire arcs so in 3 rounds it only got one shot off. but 3 Valdores with Donatra's +1A along with the Romulan flagships' free attack rerolls worked Very well. I faced a Fed/Kling/Dom Fleet.

That was pretty close to my month 4 build. We had Admirals Orders then so I managed to squeeze in some captains and buy everything else with the extra points from the AO (no flagships back then either). I think I ran 3 vadores with Donatra, Valdore and Toreth as captains, Command Tokens, and then 3 tactical Officers from the AO. We have a very cloak heavy meta here though and the Tactical officers ended up as dead weight really.

I dislike always shooting last, so I try to avoid the 1 skill captains as much as possible. The Romulan 6 and 7's usually allow me to go before or at least at the same time as most of my opponents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Fredrickson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
This is my build that I went 2-1 with. My lone loss came to a dice off against a buddy of mine that, for some reason, tends to end in a dice off. He likes to play the Klingons really defensively, which ends up being tough hurt. I also just slaughtered a Fed and a Dominion fleet, so I feel good about the build.

The plan with this is first round get Bochra on the DS9. This is easy. Set up as close to the station as you can. Aj'rmr does a hard 2. Khazara takes a free hard 3. Khazara's actual move is a straight 4. Gets you within 2 of DS9 every time.

2nd round lay down Cloaked Mines in the middle of the map.

Fight!

Resource: Flagship Independent (Dominion) (10)

I.R.W. Khazara (30)
Valdore (3)
Selok (5)
Centurion (4)
Bochra (1)
Additional Weapons Array (4)
Cloaked Mines (3)
Ship SP: 50

P.W.B. Aj'Rmr (30)
Mirok (2)
Flagship (0)
Photon Torpedoes (5)
Cloaked Mines (3)
Ship SP: 40

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drop the Cloaked Mines and take the Vo over the Apnex. Seriously, it'll net you a lot more in the long run. The Vo can be nearly impossible to kill. and Donatra's +1 will do more damage over time than the Cloaked Mines. It'll still get a free Echo from the Flagship, which means it could Cloak, Echo, and take a free Evade if it was still going to get shot at all in 1 turn.
Or drop Parem & Bachra for the Vo, but that loses those "expendable" crew to hold DS9 with. Of course you could always beam over a Captain.

Neither the Apnex nor the Vo are going to be attacking a lot, so take the Vo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hensel
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:

My main plan is to attack my enemy head on, or from the flank if they go for the station. If I have a good opening, or end up a ship or two ahead, I will go for the station. I found in month 1 that trying to take the station led to losing ships that had lowered their shields to beam over and more often than not lost the game.

That doesn't have to be the case if you plan properly. I've played 5 OP6 battles so far, each time taking the station on the second turn, and not once was I attacked on the same turn I was beaming crew over. My opponent destroyed the station in one match, but every battle ended with the total destruction of my opponent's fleet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Tricorder wrote:
Ender02 wrote:

That doesn't have to be the case if you plan properly. I've played 5 OP6 battles so far, each time taking the station on the second turn, and not once was I attacked on the same turn I was beaming crew over. My opponent destroyed the station in one match, but every battle ended with the total destruction of my opponent's fleet.

Your Meta sounds a lot different than ours. In month 1, I do not think that DS9 survived more than a single battle out of all of the rounds from all of the players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davedujour wrote:
Drop the Cloaked Mines and take the Vo over the Apnex. Seriously, it'll net you a lot more in the long run. The Vo can be nearly impossible to kill. and Donatra's +1 will do more damage over time than the Cloaked Mines. It'll still get a free Echo from the Flagship, which means it could Cloak, Echo, and take a free Evade if it was still going to get shot at all in 1 turn.
Or drop Parem & Bachra for the Vo, but that loses those "expendable" crew to hold DS9 with. Of course you could always beam over a Captain.

The Vo is an ok ship. I really like the 8 defense (with the flagship and cloak) and the free evade, but at the same time it loses any offense that the Apnex gets. With only 1 less defense, and the loss of the free evade, the Apnex offers the mines, which can be used for board control or in the very least some free damage to my opponents if they ignore them, and the Apnex's special ability which is basically a free damage to multiple ships. Very nice against cloaked ships since it goes straight to the hull. Sure Donatra might not be around as long, but I still feel that the Apnex offers much more usefulness than the Vo. I would also lose one of the crew slots for my Expendables team (which one is Stallone?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:
davedujour wrote:

The Vo is an ok ship. I really like the 8 defense (with the flagship and cloak) and the free evade, but at the same time it loses any offense that the Apnex gets. With only 1 less defense, and the loss of the free evade, the Apnex offers the mines, which can be used for board control or in the very least some free damage to my opponents if they ignore them, and the Apnex's special ability which is basically a free damage to multiple ships. Very nice against cloaked ships since it goes straight to the hull. Sure Donatra might not be around as long, but I still feel that the Apnex offers much more usefulness than the Vo. I would also lose one of the crew slots for my Expendables team (which one is Stallone?).

The Vo is the better ship. It keeps the mines over the Apnex (both have 1 Tech slot). While 1 defense die is only .325 Evades, the free Evade will cancel a hit every turn. It does only have 1 Crew slot, but how many do you need to throw away onto DS9? One. Also, the Apnex ability might, if you're very, very lucky & don't get killed first, do 3 points of damage. Might. Most likely 0 or 1. The Vo will allow Donatra to give out at least 6 extra attack dice.

The Vo is the superior ship. It's ability is better and it will survive longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine went 6-0 over 2 OP6 events last weekend, winning both with pure Romulans. We don't play faction pure st either place but he found a fleet that worked well.

30 Khazara
10 Romulan flagship
04 Donatra
03 cloaked mines
03 nuclear warhead
30 Valdor
02 Mirok
03 nuclear warhead
12 science vessel
03 cloaked mines

He did a good job of herding people with the mines/warheads, kept the Khazara & Valdor echoing out of arc. He used the science vessel for bumping and to take the station when the time was right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davedujour wrote:
Ender02 wrote:
davedujour wrote:

The Vo is the better ship. It keeps the mines over the Apnex (both have 1 Tech slot). While 1 defense die is only .325 Evades, the free Evade will cancel a hit every turn. It does only have 1 Crew slot, but how many do you need to throw away onto DS9? One. Also, the Apnex ability might, if you're very, very lucky & don't get killed first, do 3 points of damage. Might. Most likely 0 or 1. The Vo will allow Donatra to give out at least 6 extra attack dice.

I guess it is a personal opinion thing. I would never take the Vo over the other two small Romulan ships. Maybe over the generics, but not over the named ones. Honestly, it if wasn't for my desire to collect one of each ship, I almost didn't even buy the Vo. No one else in my area has. I think I have seen one other person who actually owns one. I will agree that it is a good defensive ship, but that is all it is. I would much rather have something out there actually hurting enemies than just a support ship. It's just hte way I play. If my Apnex can get a good blast off and do 2 or 3 damage, then it has already done far mor than the Vo could in a game, and it can still play blocker and interfere as well.

I'm not sure what you mean by throwing away crew onto DS9. It is not my main goal, but why would you completely ignore it. If I can beam over a 1 point crewman or 2 without retaliation, why would I not do it to gain control of the stations weapons and get bonus points at the end? seems like well worth the risk of a 1 point crewman to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:
davedujour wrote:
Ender02 wrote:
davedujour wrote:

I guess it is a personal opinion thing. I would never take the Vo over the other two small Romulan ships. Maybe over the generics, but not over the named ones. Honestly, it if wasn't for my desire to collect one of each ship, I almost didn't even buy the Vo. No one else in my area has. I think I have seen one other person who actually owns one. I will agree that it is a good defensive ship, but that is all it is. I would much rather have something out there actually hurting enemies than just a support ship. It's just hte way I play. If my Apnex can get a good blast off and do 2 or 3 damage, then it has already done far mor than the Vo could in a game, and it can still play blocker and interfere as well.

I'm not sure what you mean by throwing away crew onto DS9. It is not my main goal, but why would you completely ignore it. If I can beam over a 1 point crewman or 2 without retaliation, why would I not do it to gain control of the stations weapons and get bonus points at the end? seems like well worth the risk of a 1 point crewman to me.

A 1 pt crew on DS9 I understand. But it only needs 1, unless your opponent goes for it too. Then just blow it up.

I took out an undamaged, fully functional Koranak with a Vo. By itself. It didn't even have a secondary weapon. The Koranak had a Dorsal Weapons Array too. Yet the Vo still killed it. 1-2 points of damage a turn, and lots of good maneuvering. That's 7 points of damage the Vo did while taking 3. Yes, it had an IG on it.

The Vo is better than the Apnex. Apnex doesn't have Scan. Vo can Scan and stop any defense dice (for most Dom & Fed and even uncloaked Klingons) from being rolled. People underestimate the Vo at their peril.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You probably could have taken that same Koranak out a turn or two sooner with an Praetus or Gal Gath'Thong

Scan isn't all it is cracked up to be. That one die you remove just isn't worth the loss of performing other actions instead. I don't think I have ever actually used the can action since my first couple games when I first bought the game. If you have other things that can trigger off of it as well, I can see it being a little more useful.

I prefer to use my actions for recloaking or sensor echo for better positioning.

I must be doing something right, after 5 months of OP games, I have never placed lower than 3rd and I'm currently in first place overall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the Praetus would have died to the attacks. If it didn't kill itself cloaking that much.

The GGT wasn't available at the time. It is a better ship than the Vo, but it's also at costs least 5 more points (when equipped with something to use it's ability on) than the Vo.

Scan is better than most people realize. Yes, it's worse than Battle Stations or Target Lock, but if the IG is already spent (so no reason to cloak), stay uncloaked and Scan. With a Dorsal Weapons Array, Sensor Echo won't help at all. I was on the Koranak's tail for several turns, doing 1-2 points of damage that he couldn't stop every turn. Scan & the Vo's free Evade (on turns I maneuvered incorrectly & he was out of arc) is what allowed the Vo to take down a Koranak.

Neither the Praetus nor the Apnex could do that. I challenge you to try.
Vo
Donatra
Interphase Generator
That's it. Nothing else. Against an undamaged Koranak w/Dukat, Boheeka, Dorsal Weapons Array.
(I do admit I got lucky too. But it wasn't just luck.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kitchin
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it always worth taking the named IRW Valdore over the generic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davedujour wrote:

A 1 pt crew on DS9 I understand. But it only needs 1, unless your opponent goes for it too. Then just blow it up.

I took out an undamaged, fully functional Koranak with a Vo. By itself. It didn't even have a secondary weapon. The Koranak had a Dorsal Weapons Array too. Yet the Vo still killed it. 1-2 points of damage a turn, and lots of good maneuvering. That's 7 points of damage the Vo did while taking 3. Yes, it had an IG on it.

The Vo is better than the Apnex. Apnex doesn't have Scan. Vo can Scan and stop any defense dice (for most Dom & Fed and even uncloaked Klingons) from being rolled. People underestimate the Vo at their peril.

You know I have seen you bring this up 4-5 times over different threads and I think you need to realize that it is a rare exception rather then the rule.

On that Vo you couldn't get more than 2 attacks, and thats at close range it also doesn't have a target lock. If the Koranok you took out had full shields and hull thats 7 points of damage. At best it would take the Vo 4 turns of shooting and you could only miss with one shot. In those 4 turns if your opponent never did a straight 5 to get away from you or never used Dukat for an evade then you got damn lucky.

This scenario of yours doesn't prove the value of the Vo. All it shows is that you had some amazingly lucky rolls and you out flew someone that had no clue what they were doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr S Baldrick wrote:
davedujour wrote:

You know I have seen you bring this up 4-5 times over different threads and I think you need to realize that it is a rare exception rather then the rule.

On that Vo you couldn't get more than 2 attacks, and thats at close range it also doesn't have a target lock. If the Koranok you took out had full shields and hull thats 7 points of damage. At best it would take the Vo 4 turns of shooting and you could only miss with one shot. In those 4 turns if your opponent never did a straight 5 to get away from you or never used Dukat for an evade then you got damn lucky.

This scenario of yours doesn't prove the value of the Vo. All it shows is that you had some amazingly lucky rolls and you out flew someone that had no clue what they were doing.

1) You don't need a Target Lock. I'm pretty sure it was an AO month and I had United Force for the reroll. And since he got 0 defense dice because I could Scan...
2) Yes, it took at least 4 turns. It wasn't quick or easy.
3) He did do at least 1 straight 5, but I did a straight 4 and kept up. Then he had to start turning to not fly off the board and I could turn inside him. It wasn't completely possible to just run away.
4) Yes, I got damn lucky. I know this. It was some amazing timing and rolls and guessing his moves. It came down to the very last turn & I guessed his correct 1 bank move. If he'd done 1 straight or bank the other way I wouldn't have gotten that last attack at time.

"Someone who had no clue what they were doing" has won a DS9 already and won ~3-4 other months at different stores. In this particular month he cleared out my other 2 ships quickly & easily, only losing 1 of ships in the process. We both figured the Koranak would walk all over the Vo. He kept trying to kill it and just could not. I out maneuvered him. We both know this. General Drazz is no slouch when it comes to this game. I admit he's a better player than I. He knew exactly what he was doing.

I got lucky this time.

And neither the Preatus nor the Apnex could have done it. No way. The Vo's extra Agility and the ability to get a free Evade token (when I couldn't attack) kept it alive.

The Vo is better than the Apnex and probably better than the Praetus. If you put Mirok on the Praetus, the Vo & Preatus are about equal. None of them are going to do much in the attack, so it's all about how long can they live. Most of the time, the Vo will live longer because it is more agile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you were using AO for the reroll that is huge. With admirals orders you can throw the whole thing out because it would never happen again. With orders the apnex or praetus has just about the same chance of doing it and cost fewer points. The praetus also has target lock and 2 attacks base it would have gotten the job done faster. The whole idea of the praetus blowing itself up is thrown out because 1)you said you were behind him the whole time so you don't need to cloak, 2)praetus has 3 hull so even if it took damage turn 1 cloaking it then has as much hull as the Vo left, 3)you had the orders to reroll that die.

You can't stand one rare occurrence (that will never happen again) up as a shining example of why someone should take the ship. The admirals orders are like steroids in baseball any wins from them come with an * for special circumstances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr S Baldrick wrote:
If you were using AO for the reroll that is huge. With admirals orders you can throw the whole thing out because it would never happen again. With orders the apnex or praetus has just about the same chance of doing it and cost fewer points. The praetus also has target lock and 2 attacks base it would have gotten the job done faster. The whole idea of the praetus blowing itself up is thrown out because 1)you said you were behind him the whole time so you don't need to cloak, 2)praetus has 3 hull so even if it took damage turn 1 cloaking it then has as much hull as the Vo left, 3)you had the orders to reroll that die.

You can't stand one rare occurrence (that will never happen again) up as a shining example of why someone should take the ship. The admirals orders are like steroids in baseball any wins from them come with an * for special circumstances.

He had Dorsal Weapons Array. He was attacking me every turn. The Praetus would have blown itself up trying to cloak or died from his attacks.

It's still a valid example. The Vo is the better ship. You may not think so but it is. Even now without AO I'd take a Vo over the Praetus. Neither is a major attacking ship, but the Vo will survive longer than the Praetus or the Apnex. It may not be much longer, but it will be longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tsuk
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're both forgetting why the Praetus is clearly the better ship. It's the only ship that you can beam tribbles onto at will! Try to do that with a Vo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Vo is a good ship for harassing with tech. I've used it a few times with Gul Evek & a ferengi EMP very successfully. But for a light stalker the Praetus & Gal Gathong are better ships. When points are tight the apnex can do any job the Vo can do for cheaper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.