Subject: Descent 2.0 with 6 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blayne Miley
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on my google fu, it's been over a year since this topic was discussed on the forums, and I'm hoping to gather some updated input on the best way to implement a 6th player.

My gaming group is scattered across the country and we only get together once a year for about 4 days. We're looking for DnD lite for 6 players, and after researching the options and surveying the group, Descent 2.0 came out on top. Given the limited timeframe, I'm really hoping to get things right quickly.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick and dirty suggestion: Give the overlord extra open groups to compensate, maybe increase the card draws.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
Quick and dirty suggestion: Give the overlord extra open groups to compensate, maybe increase the card draws.

Or find ways to limit the players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a completely untested idea that I just thought of right now and have no clue if it works well:

Use the monster group limits for three players.
Each round, give the Overlord two turns.
Have the first Overlord turn happen after the first three heroes, and the second one happen after the remaining two heroes.
Make sure the stuff in the quest guide that is meant to happen once per overlord turn only happens once per round (reinforcements, gaining tokens, et cetera).
See what happens!

Alternatively, the safer option would be to just have a two-person overlord team against a standard four-hero party, but it might be less exciting that way for one or both of the overlord players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex
France
flag msg tools
this is a reccurent question

play another game, search better inside the forum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
An idea I like but haven't played with myself yet is flipping the minion/master colours, so that tan monsters become masters and red monsters become minions, as a quick means of buffing up monsters vs 5 heroes.

Alternatively, you could play D&D and use the Descent campaigns as your plot. If everyone at the table is looking for "D&D Lite" then hopefully no one would have issues with being railroaded into limited quest options. =P

You could take the time to map Descent monsters to D&D monsters for stats purposes and have relevant stat sheets ready for those monster types. Everything else would just be D&D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Watson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Three ways we've found that work:

1. Allow the Overlord to begin the campaign with 1 XP per player
2. Allow an additional open group using the numbers from the 2 player line
3. If you're using a lieutenant pack allow the Overlord to begin with the "summon agent" card in play (another option here is to allow the extra player to play as the agent, and use the group limits for three players).

One we haven't tried but may also work is to reduce the search locations in each scenario by one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.