Popular Tags: [View All]
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luna is my favorite Feld by a pretty comfortable margin. It's nothing short of astounding that he can crank out so many solid designs, but Luna is the one for me that is really special. And really the only Feld design that I haven't cooled on after a few plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played two Feld's so far - Amerigo and Luna.
Amerigo was a complete flop for us and promptly traded away, but.. Luna , absolutely incredible game and one of my wife's favourites ever, which helps also.
I personally even dig the theme, the whole package is exquisite.
I think it is nothing short of a masterpiece and kind of cool that it's overlooked....they don't know what they are missing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you finally gave it a try... now get Notre Dame played, it's my 2nd favorite Feld behind Luna!

For yours and others info, GameSurplus.com is great on imports, and they have Luna for $50 (although currently it's backordered).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dunagan
United States
Clermont
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally agree. Luna is Feld's best design to date. It really deserves a wider audience. Too bad Z-man dropped the ball and didn't keep the game in print for the U.S. market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Nakamoto
United States
Montrose
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthage wrote:
Too bad Z-man dropped the ball and didn't keep the game in print for the U.S. market.

Maybe not, but if Z-Man's recent releases are any indication, it's cheaper ordering from Amazon.de anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:
We both agreed at the end that this was a stunningly brilliant game.

Luna is my favorite eurogame period. cool

colmmccarthy wrote:
Massively enjoyable, and everything makes perfect sense once you start playing.

Yes, I find it amazing how many action options there are, and yet the game somehow feels very intuitive!

colmmccarthy wrote:
We love how cutthroat it is, and yet each turn offers you such good choices.

This, I think, is the brilliant point of the game. In the central board, you can kick pawns out and also take tiles other players wanted, but even the incremental feel of the actions on the islands make the competition with your opponents feel very much like a race. It's nerve wracking when an opponent turns over a candle when you still have so much you want to do in the round! So then you decide to compromise your plan, only to realize that your opponent turned over the candle just to mess with your plan.... wow

colmmccarthy wrote:
The end game is a little lackluster,...

You should be feeling the deep breath before the plunge of counting your chips. You've executed your plan, and now it's finishing up: has it worked??? This tension-building and the subsequent release once all the chips have been counted, I find, is pretty dang effective.

colmmccarthy wrote:
Forget the theme. It's a bit odd, but not that bad. The mechanics of "Luna" are just sublime.

I would change the theme, but keep the artwork on the whole, because the atmosphere of the game comes quite a bit from the artwork, but somehow not from the theme. Good indication that the theme is ineffectual.

colmmccarthy wrote:
A truly superb game.

Absolutely. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Macao!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
Macao!

Same designer, but very different games. In my experience, people who love Luna aren't really too thrilled with Macao. Luna is more logical, without zillions of different cards which combo in lots of ways. In Luna, all of the game state is before your eyes, all the time. Is it Feld's only game without any randomness? I'm not sure actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
dkearns wrote:
Macao!

Same designer, but very different games. In my experience, people who love Luna aren't really too thrilled with Macao. Luna is more logical, without zillions of different cards which combo in lots of ways. In Luna, all of the game state is before your eyes, all the time. Is it Feld's only game without any randomness? I'm not sure actually.

That's definitely the case for me. Luna I love. I liked Macao, but didn't love it. I was dissatisfied with the way the wind-rose ends (not sure how else it could be done though), and there was a lot of downtime towards the end as people had tons of cubes to figure out what to do with.

I'd rank Feld's games that I've tried:

Luna > Notre Dame > Trajan > Strasbourg > Castles of Burgundy > Macao
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dunagan
United States
Clermont
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
curtc wrote:
dkearns wrote:
Macao!

That's definitely the case for me. Luna I love. I liked Macao, but didn't love it. I was dissatisfied with the way the wind-rose ends (not sure how else it could be done though), and there was a lot of downtime towards the end as people had tons of cubes to figure out what to do with.

You're missing Bora Bora on that list....and a few others. But Bora Bora to me would be up most Feld fans alley if they like Luna and Trajan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthage wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:
curtc wrote:
dkearns wrote:
Macao!

You're missing Bora Bora on that list....and a few others. But Bora Bora to me would be up most Feld fans alley if they like Luna and Trajan.

Yeah those are just the ones I've tried... but I'll place Bora Bora at the top of his 2013 crop to try!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Day
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Board Game Bliss (Canada) got a restock a few days ago. It's a bit pricey but it's a hard game to find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played most Felds, but just got Luna the other day. I'm enjoying it so far; but what's striking to me is that there isn't an obvious "featured mechanism" at the heart of the game, as there is in many of his later ones. Trajan and Bora Bora, for instance, would be very similar games if not for the featured mechanism (the mancala for Trajan, and the dice placement for BB).

But Luna's a different animal. There is no isolated, "featured" mechanism. Whereas Trajan, Bora, Amerigo and Macao are a collection of familiar mini-games that you access through the special mechanism, Luna is more of a single tightly-knit clockwork. You need to choose early your primary "investment" -- temple tiles, shrines, the council(?) track -- and although that is sort of like choosing which mini-game you're going to focus on, those choices have a much greater and more immediate effect on what you can do elsewhere in the game.

Edit: After several more plays, I guess it's not accurate to say that you pick a single investment "path" in Luna, as you do in, say, Trajan, where you might concentrate more on shipping than on building. It's pretty clear in Luna that, first and foremost, you must concentrate on the temple in the early rounds. Beyond that early- and mid-game goal of placing people in the temple (and hopefully displacing others), your decision to go for a Shrine or to win the Moon Priestess isle can go back and forth each round.

It really is a cool "wheels within wheels" sort of game. But as it's a "total information" game with no randomness, there might be some analysis paralysis here and there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wretched Git wrote:
I've played most Felds, but just got Luna the other day. I'm enjoying it so far; but what's striking to me is that there isn't an obvious "featured mechanism" at the heart of the game, as there is in many of his later ones. Trajan and Bora Bora, for instance, would be very similar games if not for the featured mechanism (the mancala for Trajan, and the dice placement for BB).

But Luna's a different animal. There is no isolated, "featured" mechanism. Whereas Trajan, Bora, Amerigo and Macao are a collection of familiar mini-games that you access through the special mechanism, Luna is more of a single tightly-knit clockwork. You need to choose early your primary "investment" -- temple tiles, shrines, the council(?) track -- and although that is sort of like choosing which mini-game you're going to focus on, those choices have a much greater and more immediate effect on what you can do elsewhere in the game.

If there were a core mechanism, it would be the misty "worker movement" mechanism, which I would describe more accurately as physical action points. Every turn, you have a certain number of physical action points, which must be activated at specific places to perform certain actions. Certain actions also mean that you have less physical action points available during a round (i.e., placement in the temple).

But you are right, the actual interaction of all of the thing that one can do with this mechanism (get more workers, temple, shrines, Luna scoring, moving Apostate, etc...) is so interlocked that it is even hard to call it a "point salad" game since the game blends and interacts within itself so well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Jones
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read somewhere on these forums to find the game Luna on the German Amazon.de I was lucky enough to find one of the last copies, as I couldn't locate it here in Toronto, or on amazon. A hard game to find with a lot of google translating, but I am very excited that it is on its way. These reviews have convinced me that it will be great! I love Trajan and I think I will love this too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Jones
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Small update: the German game, including postage, was 80.71 Canadian dollars; on Canadian amazon, the pre-tax, pre-delivery charges price is $144 Canadian; on Amazon.com I couldn't even find the game. go German for your Stefan Feld board games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Luna is my favorite Feld by a pretty comfortable margin. It's nothing short of astounding that he can crank out so many solid designs, but Luna is the one for me that is really special. And really the only Feld design that I haven't cooled on after a few plays.

I agree... my favorite game as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.