Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Variants

Subject: Runabout rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
hesse honnolly
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so i bought the AMT DS9 model kit, it came with 3 runabouts, so i figured it would be fun to make some cards to go with the little ships..
I wanted the ship to be maneuverable, and at the same time it couldn't be very strong.
So i figured the ship would only be able to get upgrades from specific cards. The reliant class shuttle(or ships or wtv they are) had mission specific pods that could attach on to give extra abilities and or capabilities.

so here is my runabout, I'm gonna be designing additional cards that will be tech or weapons upgrades that may be used by the runabout even if it doesn't have the slots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, but I pictured the Runabouts more like the fighter squadrons, but with only 2 ships on the base. I figured they would have similar mechanics, but maybe the options of upgrades. Possibly the ability to use a standard Crew upgrade as a skill 1 captain, but keep their ability.

Runabouts should get Evasive Maneuvers on their ability bar in the least.
~edit (for some reason it wasn't showing up the first time I looked at the picture)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hesse honnolly
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I kinda picture the fighters being smaller than the runabouts. i haven't been able to find the size online, but the runabout was a huge shuttle/ship.

also i wanted the runabouts to be useable without being a resource. But your way would be easier to build

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ex astris has the Danube runabout as 23m and the peregrine fighter as 25m.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Stanley
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I really like that card just wondering about the upgrade bar.
As its a larger shuttle it did carry an array of enhancements photons, phasers etc. Was just wondering if the bar could state 1 upgrade of your choice so you could have a super fast runabout with transwarp drive or a weapons outfitted photon launcher, or maybe a crew runabout
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skyguard
msg tools
mbmb
Someone I think made up a runabout card that gave you a wild upgrade option so you could put a crew,tech,weapon on the ship.

However I think they work better used some mod-form of the Attack Squadron Resource rules. Maybe a more limited version where they have less hits (I'm thinking two) with more hull and shields, and a limited upgrade options (1 wild slot?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hesse honnolly
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
as for the wild slot, i was thinking about making cards much like the emh, with a question mark, but could only be equipped to a runabout class ship.

you could equip up to one specialized upgrade, and it could be a variety of things.photons, warp, shields, pretty much anything.

can someone link the other runabout that was made?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No And No Again
msg tools
Runabouts may have been the size of fighters, but they also tended to operate individually on the show. I don't think squadron rules are appropriate, regardless of how small they are. Just wouldn't feel quite right to me.

These aren't the cards you were asking about (that might be this one: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/14710984#14710984), but I also did some for Runabouts a little while ago (a guy in our group managed to get hold of a DS9 token. Pretty exotic for us), and I came up with something pretty similar to yours. I also ruled out normal upgrades - including captains, whose abilities I think represent guys with proper starships to call on.

The main thing I did differently, if you're interested, was that after initially giving them pretty much the same stats as you did there, I increased their attack and hull to 2 each. I know that seems excessive, but I also added a special rule that they suffer all damage as criticals, and never inflict critical damage.

Thing is, you can look at a Runabout and say "it shouldn't have as much attack strength as a Miranda class ship", and that's correct; but due to the specifics of how the game mechanics work, 1 Primary Weapon on a ship that can't access normal upgrades is just never hitting anything at all, and that's not quite right either. Runabouts had some genuine annoyance value (I think I might have overpowered it a little, but a weapon value of 1 just seems TOO toothless - I'd need to test it). Also, it was because there were plenty of cool moments on the shows when Runabouts were falling apart but still flying, and you wouldn't get that with only 1 hull point. Suffering all damage as critical still means that even 1 damage point from a full-size starship is something you want to avoid, as it should be, but Runabouts were never exactly swatted out of the sky either, not when protagonists were on board anyway...

For ref:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hesse honnolly
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i like some of your ideas, but I think we both wanted very different ships.

I want a very inexpensive ship that I could fly a lot of, and be very easy to upgrade. having 1 or 2 hull doesn't change very much, its pretty much a 1 shot kill either way.

Also for dmg, I could upgrade it to 2dmg, but Im going to make a Torpedo Pod attachment, that costs 3pts, and lets you assign federation torpedoes/quantums to the ship, and would also augment the torpedoes to not require a target lock.

And I would make another upgrade that can only be assigned to runabouts even if they don't have the slot available, its a weapon upgrade, Micro-photon Torpedoes like in the show. low yield probably 3dmg, 1-2 range, target lock, and probably convert 1 miss into 1 hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No And No Again
msg tools
Yeah, I was coming at this mostly for narrative purposes, I wasn't trying to make anything that would particularly suit a competitive format (the vision of someone's fleet being a swarm of Runabouts is just.... a bit off, for me). The fact that even 2 hull is usually a one shot kill in practice doesn't really matter to me for instance (especially since, around here, it wouldn't often be facing twinked out competitive ships that roll a bazillion hits per attack) - the important part is painting the right picture. I wasn't trying to say you should be doing it my way or anything, just adding to the brainstorming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Romer
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the runabouts of an appropriate size that you could mount them to a base some how?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hesse honnolly
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen someone do it already, its funny.. they are super tiny. lol.

and in regards to competitive or even casual, running 2-4 runabouts with a defiant is still fairly do able

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Stanley
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
i like the no captain stipulation gives it a good them. But im not sure captain skill 10 is appropriate. they maybe fast and maneuverable those can be shown by movement cards and agility stats. I would imagine them to have a low end captain skill somewhere between 6 and 2. I would say look at the romulan stat's for the vo and apex as those ships are closer to the runabout in role deployment and ability's

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No And No Again
msg tools
Well, you're talking about the stuff I chimed in with there, not the original poster's stuff. But since you mentioned it, I was torn for a while between 10 and zero. I went with 10 because of the lack of upgrades meaning there aren't many ways in which that high skill can be exploited by optimising. This is as opposed to if you could pile captain and crew abilities onto it that didn't care about being on a weak ship. It may be able to fly circles around you, up to a point, but it's always going to be just a Runabout.

That's the thing you have to watch for in designing any weak ship, I think - being careful that you aren't just letting people use it as a 'dump stat', to get a super cheap way of putting powerful abilities on the table (unless that's the whole idea, of course, but I don't think it should be with Runabouts).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hesse honnolly
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my problem with 10skill captain, is that in the show, no matter who was piloting, they almost always were shot upon first.. and as much as being manuverable is awesome, i think captains are A ok, whats going to make it useful or not is the extras. which I will post as soon as I get time off.. (next monday)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.