Hide
11 Posts

BattleTech» Forums » General

Subject: Any point in getting 2nd Edition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antti Pakarinen
msg tools
Are there lots of differences between the rules of 2nd ed. and the current editions? I'm looking to get into BattleTech, but I'm a bit worried of the length of the game and the massive page counts of the current rulebooks. With the family and all, there's just not too much free time to scramble through rulebooks... You can get the 2nd edition for quite a cheap price (and it would have some nostalgic value, but what I'm asking is are the previous versions quicker to set-up and play, or is the anniversary box the way to go for a beginner?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B.
United States
Groton
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules wise there really hasn't been much of a change in Battletech. Over the years the in-game timeline has progressed so there are more time periods you can play in and they themselves will have different rules but the base game remains the same.

If you don't own any Battletech stuff, and especially if you don't have any mechs yet, then I ABSOLUTELY recommend the new Introductory Boxed Set. It gives you pretty much everything you need to play. It also comes with a variety of plastic miniatures which is far cheaper than buying the single metal ones. It retails for 60$ and you can get it online for 40$ It has a smaller rulebook that covers the core of the game. The bigger rulebooks contain a lot more information but much of it you won't use in every game.

The new Into Boxed Set I give two 100 ton thumbs up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had the last two editions of the Box Set, and this most recent one is nicer still owing to improvements in plastic mini quality. I can't recommend the box highly enough either. There are the 26 minis (24 standard, 2 "premium"), mounted boards, and well-written, well-laid-out rules and universe books, as well as cardstock chart references and a few other things.

The box also (I think still) has the quick-reference rules, which are a good way to start while keeping length down. The introductory rule book is much more concise than Total Warfare yet covers probably 70-90% of what most players would play most of the time without being rewritten to simplify things. If you want non-'Mech vehicles, if you want aerospace, if you want construction rules (beyond the intro-level 'Mech ones in the rulebook), you can go to the hardback books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is in the "Battletech Introductory Box Set (Improved Reprint)"?

I get that there are 24 mechs but what about the other components and images/unboxing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:
What is in the "Battletech Introductory Box Set (Improved Reprint)"?

I get that there are 24 mechs but what about the other components and images/unboxing?

24 unpainted, ready-to-play plastic BattleMech minis
2 unpainted, premium-quality plastic BattleMech minis
One 12-page full-color quick-start rulebook will have players into the action in minutes
36-page book of pre-generated BattleMech Record Sheets
One 80-page full-color rulebook
Inner Sphere at a Glance, a 56-page full-color book of universe
background and BattleMech technical data
One 16-page full-color Painting and Tactics Guide
Two heavy-duty cards of compiled tables
Two 18″ x 24″ game-board quality maps

Here's a pic of the previous printing of the intro set (I'm not sure if the new one is out yet, so don't know if there are any pictures specifically of the new printing, but it should be similar to this):

The Battletech Introductory Box Set has its own page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Reed
United States
Clayton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The new box comes with a more detailed mad cat and battlemaster. The universe map seems to be of better quality. I find that getting more minis, the two specials, and more map boards is worth the cost.

I will only use this material for Alpha Strike, so the record sheets and rules mean nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anttipak wrote:
Are there lots of differences between the rules of 2nd ed. and the current editions? I'm looking to get into BattleTech, but I'm a bit worried of the length of the game and the massive page counts of the current rulebooks. With the family and all, there's just not too much free time to scramble through rulebooks... You can get the 2nd edition for quite a cheap price (and it would have some nostalgic value, but what I'm asking is are the previous versions quicker to set-up and play, or is the anniversary box the way to go for a beginner?

The last edition I played was 3rd. The best thing you can do is get the boxed set. It is basic battletech at its finest. No aerospace no fuss no muss. You get high quality mounted maps 26 mechs and a very well written slow grow rules set. I am very glad I got the boxed set and will eventually buy total warfare and TacOps. I will use the intro set to teach my 8 year old. I see little to almost no difference in time between 3rd and the new set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Van Vorst
United States
Spencer
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will echo what others have said about getting the Introductory Box. For the price it totally blew me away. It felt like I had about $150-200 worth of game materials for about $50 and it is all high quality. My only beef is that the one IS map they include is fairly typical in that it's dated around 3055-3058. I wish they'd put a vanilla 3025 IS map in there for folks who are just starting out and want to get their feet wet by doing 3rd and 4th Succession Wars. Great times in the BT universe that sometimes doesn't get the credit it should, and very few expanded rules to bog it down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Duffy
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking for the exact answer to this question, and here it kinda is. I own the 3rd edition, with a bunch of extra mechs & maps. Is there a significant difference between the 3rd edition and the introductory boxed set (ie, streamlined rules, easier play, whatever) that would justify the purchase of the newer set? Or is it basically a prettier version of 3rd edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Intro Box set comes with great mounted maps, Very nice Quick Reference Cards and a buttload of Plastic mechs. I will say that while the mechs are cheap the cheapness really shows in the quality. Do not go into it thinking that you are getting anything special. You are getting cheap plastic deformed mechs (granted they are much better quality than the 25th anniversary set) but you are also paying nothing for the complete set.

As for rules, they do have QSR in the box but if you are a 3rd ed player there are no significant rule changes that I can see so far. Also the QSR are available for free on the Catalyst website.

So if you have Mounted Boards (Very nice quality) and your own Mechs (old metals) and the rules from 3rd edition then there is no need to buy the new set unless you want some more mechs for the kids to play with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Duffy
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info. I just have paper maps, but they're huge and have a variety of terrains. And I have a great mix of the original plastic mechs, and some nice Ral Partha metal omnimech minis. I think I'm gonna stick with what I have, since there doesn't seem to be any significant rules changes. Thanks again for your input, it's much appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.