Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas Hjelmberg
Sweden
Saltsjö-Boo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
New Sweden, at last! The journey across the ocean was like a passage through hell, leaving half of us dead in diseases. I left the ship Calmare Nyckel, looking forward to settle down on my own piece of land. Little I knew that my problems had just started.

Governor Johan Printz, a stout and determined man, received us and allocated us to the district of Finland. But what's this? Tobacco? We can't eat this. Why can't we cultivate grain instead? Prinz explained that tobacco can be sold more expensively than grain in the future but I'm hungry now!

Very well, master knows best, so I worked on the field all year and harvested a lot of this strange crop. A neighboring governor soon arrived and made an offer on the tobacco. But to my astonishment, Printz refused to sell. "The price will be better next year", he explained. "But the warehouse is full", I replied. "What shall we do next year?"

The governor's answer was to send me out in the wilderness to trade with the natives. Trade with savages? I first refused but Printz assured me that they were friendly. Yeah right, I was lucky to get back alive.

Listening to my account, Printz decided to build a fortress. As protection against the natives? No, he was still thinking of his tobacco, he wanted to build a fortress to protect the overseas merchants. "The price will be better then", he explained. Shouldn't he think more about the colony than his own wealth?

Anyway, we started to build the fortress but before we had finished it, we received news from another district. The colonists in the district of Älfsborg had already built a fortress for the tobacco trade and all the merchants now went there instead.

Printz was furious and started to plan on how to destroy the other fortress but at this time we had had enough. We set fire to the tobacco warehouse, left the colony and returned home. The last thing I heard was that Nova Suecia fell to the Dutch. Personally, I'm more worried about the new mayor that is about to arrive to our county. His name is Printz...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.