Hide
4 Posts

Mage Tower: A Tower Defense Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: How do Prize Cards actually work? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
承恩 李
msg tools
1. Prize Cards pile are set individually?

2. How many Prize Cards I have to flip out as visible cards I can choose to buy during the game?

3. Rule Book page 3 didn't mention the Confusion Cards, so where should I put it and how do they work?

4. What exactly does "Prize has an ability that lets you draw a card if you didn't just buy it. You'll benefit from this when you draw the prize card from your deck later!" from the rule book page 14 mean?

5. Take "Intellect" Prize Card for example, what does "Draw another card if you didn't buy Intellect card this turn." exactly means? Does that means I can draw additional card if this card is flipped out in the Prize Cards area? If it does, why would I buy it anyway? I just leave it there and I can draw additional card every turn.

I don't know if English is not my first language, but I think the rule book just didn't define the rules clearly enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LargeGoblin
msg tools
I'll try to answer these but I don't have all the cards in front of me right now.

1. Prize Cards pile are set individually?
Yes, each of the three prize card piles are set out individually.

2. How many Prize Cards I have to flip out as visible cards I can choose to buy during the game?
All of the three prize card piles are available in the game and ready to be purchased with gold at any time.

3. Rule Book page 3 didn't mention the Confusion Cards, so where should I put it and how do they work?
You just set out the confusion card pile and certain cards will tell you to add them to your deck. They will only be used if you have cards that tell you to add them to your deck.

4. What exactly does "Prize has an ability that lets you draw a card if you didn't just buy it. You'll benefit from this when you draw the prize card from your deck later!" from the rule book page 14 mean?
Whenever you buy a prize card, the top effect happens immediately. For instance, summoning gives you 2 energy as soon as it is purchased, and the card is considered played this turn. At the end of the turn, you'll put it in your discard pile where it is treated like any other card. Whenever you draw the card into your hand from your deck and choose to play it, you'll get the top effect and also be allowed to draw another card.

5. Take "Intellect" Prize Card for example, what does "Draw another card if you didn't buy Intellect card this turn." exactly means? Does that means I can draw additional card if this card is flipped out in the Prize Cards area? If it does, why would I buy it anyway? I just leave it there and I can draw additional card every turn.
See above. Basically, when you buy the card, you get to draw one card. After the card has been shuffled back into your deck because your discard pile is empty, and you draw it from your deck, you can draw two cards when you play it.

I hope this clears up some issues and doesn't just confuse you more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sir LiveAlot
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you still have trouble you can give the free mage tower app a try over at http://www.supermegagames.net/index.php

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Brimmer
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LargeGoblin pretty much covered it (thanks!), but here's my response just in case it'll help too:

Questions 1-3:
You lay out face up piles of 9 of each prize card (Intellect, Gloryseeking, Summoning) in the middle of the play area, and a face up pile of the 11 Confusion cards. So every game starts with these four face up piles in the play area. Confusion cards don't do anything unless a card in your deck tells you to do something with them (there are several cards in the game that shuffle Confusion cards into the opponents' decks.) Prize cards can be bought with gold, which lets you play them immediately and gain their effect, then they go to your discard pile at the end of your turn.

Question 4:
All the prize cards have an effect that happens immediately when you buy them (Intellect draws a card, Gloryseeking deals 2 damage -->, Summoning gives 2 energy), then it goes to your discard pile at the end of the turn. Now, when your deck runs out you shuffle your discard pile and it becomes your new deck. This means when you buy a prize card, you can expect to draw it again later in the game after your discard pile has been shuffled and has become your deck. The prize cards say "If you didn't buy THIS PRIZE CARD this turn, draw a card." This effect is just so that when you draw your prize cards again later in the game, you draw a card when you play them. So the turn you buy the prize card you don't get the extra card draw, but if you draw them later you do.

Question 5:
When you buy a prize card it always goes to your discard pile at the end of the turn. There is no option to leave the Intellect in its pile. So when you buy an Intellect, you draw a card and it goes to your discard at the end of the turn. Then when your deck runs out your discard pile is shuffled and becomes your deck. Since your Intellect is somewhere in there, when you draw it you can play it for 0 energy and draw TWO cards. You draw a card for its main ability, and you draw another card because you didn't buy the Intellect this turn (you bought it a while ago.)

Let me know if this is not clear enough or if there's anything you don't understand. I hope you enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.