Subject: Second mission too easy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John O'Neill
United Kingdom
Durham
Durham
flag msg tools
Been slowly building space hulk 1st Edition for a few months now and finally got a good few gaming sessions in with my brother a couple of weeks back. We loved suicide mission, played it many times. I decided to switch things up and try mission two, we played it twice switching sides. Both times the marines won decisively.
We realised that both stealer deployment zones are at the end of very long corridors, ideal for overwatch marines. The problem is the corridors are so long that even if marine jams his bolter, the stealer cant get to him in a single turn and take him out, so the marine has a full turn of his own and a fresh batch of command points to unjam the gun and waste our intrepid genestealer. Did we miss something? Is there some brilliant strategy that could give the stealers an edge here or is this mission just a little unbalanced in favour of the marines?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to be smarter as Genestealer. Don't just rush him, store up then rush him. If you have say 10 Stealers hanging out around the corner, then rush him, he will eventually jam and when he does, you fill the corridor. Yes, next turn he unjams and fires, but only 3 times (once he he goes back on Overwatch). Then you keep the rush up. The odds are in your favor when you have a lot of numbers.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Finn
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
Sunken warplane
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep records of my Space Hulk games, and my notes show the Marines have won the Exterminate scenario 3 times, while the Genestealers have won it 8 times. If you study the map you'll see every approach corridor has a corridor parallel to it, with corner-turns near every room the Marines are defending. No matter where the Marine positions himself the Genestealers can pile up in huge numbers just around the corner from where the Marine is standing, and then rush him from only two squares away. This gives the Marine only two Overwatch shots before the Genestealer comes to grips. The probability math says the Marine will miss on those two consecutive shots long before the Genestealer conga-line runs out, and when that happens the Genestealer gets his close combat opportunity and it's likely over for that Space Marine. So, contrary to your experience, I've found this scenario very difficult for the Space Marines to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should add, if you play the Genestealers as 'dumb aliens' and just constantly rush, then yes, this mission is easy for the Terminators. If you play them as 'conniving aliens run by a genius hive mind' and have them wait around corners, it's very difficult on the marines.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adding

FOR THE EMPRAH!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Neill
United Kingdom
Durham
Durham
flag msg tools
Thanks for the advice guys, I was trying to send out one stealer at a time, then building up ranks behind him if he survived halfway up the corridor. Clearly I need to think bigger with my numbers. Think I might be meeting up with my brother in the next week or so. I'll let you know if I get to shred some marines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
One tactic to use is to build up stealers within striking range just around the corner and then use a couple further away to draw fire (turning on the spot works). Hopefully you will get a jam. Then use the closer stealers for the kill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Duncan
msg tools
Once you work out what to do as the marine player this is a certain marine victory. Use your 3 placements for the room that is to the bottom right and the two rooms nearest to it. Place the flamer first in the room two rooms away from that bottom right room and facing the doorway heading to the bottom right room. Give him all the CP's to get to that room where he will arrive with two bolter men, who will assist his passage by shooting away the doors in his path. This position is now invincible. Two guys on OW down a long corridor. If a turn goes badly then the flamer just steps out and clears up. get the other two marines to the long dead end corridor and the dead end room. They will both die, but should take some stealers down before they do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.