Subject: New Tinyprise Ship Card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Percival
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I noticed this the other day:

My buddy recently brought an Enterprise and I noticed he had a different (and IMHO much nicer) ship card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
United Kingdom
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully they will do the same to the antimatter mines in the starter sets, shame I already bought a tinyprise, thats a much nicer card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scooter of the Ancients
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Interesting.

We have the bottom one (not firing phasers) and got ours in September. Which one do you/your buddy have?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skyguard
msg tools
mbmb
I wonder if this has something to do with the art in the origin art not being from the show. I always thought that was odd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Percival
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The new one was brought in the last few weeks. I've got the crappy one in the sleeve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kelly
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this mean that us completionists have to buy new-run Tinyprises to make sure we have both pictures?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Percival
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
...I kinda want to. I prefer that card. xD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob W

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
aaron2310 wrote:
...I kinda want to. I prefer that card. xD

Same here. Maybe Wizkids could run a trade in program? I'd even be willing to give them two of the old cards for one of the new ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw this in a new player's stuff last month. Didn't think to get a picture so didn't post it here. He also had a newer starter set with noticably "sharper" dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
I'll be the weirdo who says he prefers the original printing version... though I've given some thought to picking up a THIRD Cheat Death (and trading/giving away the rest).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI the card is the way to tell First Second and Third edition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This is pretty interesting.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Illyth wrote:
I saw this in a new player's stuff last month. Didn't think to get a picture so didn't post it here. He also had a newer starter set with noticably "sharper" dice.

Yep, the new starter set has much pointier and darker colored dice. Hopefully the paint will stay on them better.

Hadn't noticed the new card art on the Enterprise though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Evans
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone have the new Starter and can say if any of the Starter cards have any new art?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Antimatter mines would be the most likely candidate for new art I'd guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
United Kingdom
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
Guess ill hold off buying a 2nd starter for a bit then, would be nice if theres a increase in its quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skyguard wrote:
I wonder if this has something to do with the art in the origin art not being from the show. I always thought that was odd.

I have suspected for a while that in the beginning of STAW, there was was some kind of licensing issue between CBS/Paramount and Wizkids. The TV version of the Enterprise does not appear on any card referencing the ship or its class (the generic teeny-prise is a photo of the refit from the movies). The only instance of images of the TOS Enterprise is on the Corbomite Maneuver and the photon torpedoes, neither of which show the name or registry of the ship on the saucer section.

Thus, i have this suspicion that Wizkids was barred from using the actual image of the TOS Enterprise from TV footage and the name "Enterprise" at the same time.

Bizarre legal specificity like that happens all the time.

Now that 7 months has gone by and Wizkids has had (1) time to work out any legal wranglings and (2) huge success with the game, they have gone back and rectified the issue.

It could, of course, also be a bizarre oversight from their QA and art departments... but, the 1st edition ship card's image is a "fan art" work-in-progress shot of a "re-imagined" Enterprise by Gabe Koerner and MUCH harder to just stumble across in a GIS than hundreds of images of the actual TOS Enterprise (including the ones they used on the torpedo and Corbomite cards). Therefore, it seems to me to be a deliberate choice, rather than carelessness.

Either way, it is nice to see that WK is going back and fixing issues that some players have complained about. The anti-matter mines card would be interesting to see changed as well. Possibly not in the base set, but, on a future expansion ship that has them included or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoff Bergenholm
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having the refit version on the generic ship card always annoyed me more, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aaron2310 wrote:
My buddy recently brought an Enterprise and I noticed he had a different (and IMHO much nicer) ship card.

Nicer card? Not if they didn't fix the Agility!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Percival
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Magentawolf wrote:
Having the refit version on the generic ship card always annoyed me more, I think.

Esp considering we're actually get a refit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
msg tools
Cassiel33 wrote:
Anyone have the new Starter and can say if any of the Starter cards have any new art?

I bought a second starter about 3-4 weeks ago. Antimatter Mines was the only card to receive new art. Also, and more importantly, the dice that came with it were MUCH better quality. They looked sharper and cleaner. I am VERY tempted to pick up a third starter just for that reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
Huh, anyone have an anti-matter mine comparison?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aztecjoker wrote:
Cassiel33 wrote:

I bought a second starter about 3-4 weeks ago. Antimatter Mines was the only card to receive new art. Also, and more importantly, the dice that came with it were MUCH better quality. They looked sharper and cleaner. I am VERY tempted to pick up a third starter just for that reason.

upload a pic of it, please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aaron2310 wrote:
Magentawolf wrote:

Esp considering we're actually get a refit!

So, does the 'generic' version still have the refit art on it with the new release? Or did they fix that one, too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.