Subject: Liberty Guard - draft hero rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenyon Daniel
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After the wonderful discussion for Patriotic Star (she now plays beautifully thanks to everyone for your help), I have a new character ready for comment. So far this character plays pretty well, it's gone through a number of iterations and is fun to play. There is definitely tweaking that needs to happen.

One question I'd like to put forward, for anyone that would take a look at this character, is about the card "Tactician". I'm thinking it may work better as a power?

The idea behind this character is an tank/support character, in the same vein that Legacy is. I don't expect this character to do a lot of damage directly, but do expect him to absorb a lot of hits for the team and help the team gel as well as exert some control over the battle.

Props to Tosx for the cool "critical" concept in Tango One (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1090926/custom-hero-tang...) that I've used as "ice" for Ice in this deck.

So here it is:

Character Card:

Front
• Hit points: 32
• Ice Punch
o Power: Liberty Guard deals 1 target 1 Melee damage and 1 Cold damage.
Back
• One target takes 1 Cold damage now.
• Choose one Hero, the next damage that hero receives is reduced by 2.
• One player may take a card from their trash and add it to their hand now.

Deck Layout

17 One-shot / 3 Equipment / 20 Ongoing / 14 Ice

One-shot (17 cards

1. (2) Glacial Smash: One-Shot, Ice, Liberty Guard deals up to 3 targets 1 Melee damage or 1 Cold damage. Until the start of Liberty Guard’s next turn, targets damaged this way increase their damage taken by +1.

2. (3) Unstoppable: One-Shot, Ice, You may discard up to 3 cards from the top of your deck. Liberty Guard regains X HP, where X is two times the number of Ice cards discarded this way plus 3.

3. (2) Ice Tomb: One-Shot, Ice, Until the start of Liberty Guard’s next turn, up to 3 non-hero targets cannot deal damage. Liberty Guard deals himself 2 psychic damage per target affected this way.

4. (4) Hypothermic: One-Shot, Ice, Liberty Guard regains 2 HP. Reduce the next damage dealt to Liberty Guard by 1.

5. (3) Tactician: One-Shot, Choose a hero, that hero may use a power now. Reveal the top card of your deck, you may add it to your hand or return it to the top of your deck.

6. (3) Ice Wall: One-Shot, Ice, shuffle one card in play into its associated deck. You may draw a card. You may play a card.

Equipment (3 cards)

1. (3) Communicator: No hero character may have more than 1 Communicator. Equipment, Play this card in front of any hero character, except Liberty Guard. When Liberty Guard is dealt 3 or more damage, heroes with a Communicator may take one card from their trash into their hand.

Ongoing (20 cards)

1. (2) Ice Shield: Ongoing, Limited, Redirect all non-psychic damage targeting Liberty Guard to this target. (8 HP) Power: Discard a card from the top of your deck. If an Ice card is discarded, Ice Shield regains 3 HP.

2. (4) Freezing Touch: Ongoing, Place this card next to a target. That target cannot deal damage, is immune to damage, and cannot be destroyed. At the start of Liberty Guard’s next turn destroy this card.

3. (3) Ice Slick: Ongoing, Limited, Power: up to 3 targets reduce their damage dealt by 1 until the start of Liberty Guard’s next turn. You may discard the top card of your draw deck. If an Ice card is discarded reduce the targets’ damage dealt by another 1.

4. (3) Icy Stare: Ongoing, Limited, You may redirect damage from villain targets to other hero-characters to Liberty Guard. Damage redirected this way is reduced by 1. Each time you redirect damage, you may discard an Ice card. If you do, reduce the damage redirected to Liberty Guard by another 1.

5. (3) Frigid Mists: Ongoing, Limited, Power: All hero targets cards regain 1 HP. You may discard the top card of your draw deck. If an Ice card is discarded in this way all hero targets regain 2 hit points.

6. (3) The Immovable Wall: Ongoing, Reduce all non-Psychic damage dealt to Liberty Guard by 1. Psychic damage dealt to Liberty Guard increases by 1.

7. (2) Freezing Aura: Ongoing, Limited, Power: Until the start of Liberty Guard’s next turn, the first time each turn a target does damage to Liberty Guard, the next time that target takes damage increase the damage by 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Sorry it took so long to comment on this deck.

I'm wondering if you can give some theme for this hero.

Their powers are ice based, but more freezing targets than manipulating ice.

How do his ice powers work? Are they unstable, and that's why the discard system works, because he doesn't get constant results?

There's a lot of good stuff here, but it doesn't seem to fit since I don't know the idea behind the character.

Do you want this character to be unpredictable and chaotic or more constant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenyon Daniel
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for taking a look. This is a character based on one I used to play in City of Heroes (Invulnerability / Ice Melee, tank).

His powers are ice based in that he does the classic "freeze the water in the air" trick, and can dramatically lower the temperature well below freezing. It is definitely more creating ice and cold rather than manipulating ice and cold. He could build an Ice Wall (or create a block around someone) but cannot control the ice afterwards (e.g. reshaping ice as an animated thing) except to make more ice. I hope that makes sense.

However, given the potency of his powers it takes a great deal of effort to keep them controlled. Liberty Guard can't just really cut loose with his powers or huge areas could be covered with glacial ice.

So his powers can shift in strength depending on his focus. I'm trying to represent this with random draws from the deck or with direct plays from the hand. The character should play generally consistently, which is why the additional card plays on some actions are optional.

On the other hand, I like the "press your luck mechanic" of the random draw and the card Tactician helps set up the deck or hand for a more focused play when needed.

That's how I'm seeing it in my fevered imagination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.