Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Speed Circuit» Forums » Rules

Subject: cornering - 3M rules, 1971 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles CORDIER
France
MONTIGNY SUR ARMANCON
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I read most of the rules topics but cornering still seems unclear to me, all the most because 3M and AH rules are so different regarding this point.


1. I assume you can accelerate as much as you want after the first stop in the corner. (cornering rules 1&5)

2. If you change lane you must "comply with the new speed or be penalized". I assume that you cancel previous penalty already incured, then incure new penalty, but I am not sure. (cornering rule 2)

3. If you cannot follow the arrow during the turn you enter the corner, I guess you treat this as if you change lane: recompute penalty with 20 mph lesser speed limit. (not adressed)

4. If you cannot follow the arrow during the next turn, I assume you also recompute penalty incured during the previous turn. (not adressed)

Are those assumptions correct ?

Thanks!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
Are you using 3M rules? They don't correspond to my (AH) rules.

1) No you may not increase your speed if you end a turn without completely a corner.

6.5 A car which has not completed a corner during a move may not elect to increase its speed in the following turn should that increase exceed posted speed or arrow limits.


2. Each square you enter over the limit incurs a penalty. REsolve the penalty for each one as you go. A lane change will mean a different maximum speed, which means the speed you were travelling at may exceed the different maximum speed in the new lane.

3. Following the arrow allows you to exceed the posted speed by 20 mph without penalty. If you do not start out by following the arrow, ignore any such reference and treat each square you enter according to normal rules, square by square.
If you start out by entering a corner and follow the arrow, and you use it to exceed the speed by 20 mph you're OK as long as you stay on the arrow from beginning to end.

4. If you leave the arrow before completing the corner and you had used the arrow to exceed the posted speed, then the arrow advantage you took advantage of should not have applied and you have to go back and recalculate each square you passed through over the limit. If any one of those recalculations causes you to spin out the spin out occurs at the square where you first left the arrow, not at the square that caused the spin out.

Hope that helps.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles CORDIER
France
MONTIGNY SUR ARMANCON
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

thanks for the answer. I'm using 3M rules, that are specifically different from AH on this point. AH explicitly forbid to accelerate in a corner, or explicitly set you to compute retroactively your wear expense when changing speed limit.

This is unclear to me in the 3M rules, which I feel have a different dynamic, hence my questions. Also, 3M rules are about "entering a corner", not "entering a square"

The rules are available in the file section, oldest page:
http://rpggeek.com/filepage/7311/3mrules-zip

When computing your wear expense I wonder wether you cancel or not what is already expended: if you travel at 120 in a 100 corner, you expend 1 wear. If you change lane the next turn in the same corner, in a 80 square, do you expend 2 more wear, or only one more (one having been expended before)? Same question if you follow the arrow at +40 (1 wear), then quit the arrow (still being +40,but penalty is now 2 wear: 1 more, or 2 more ?)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berthold Nüchter
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
I am the walrus
badge
checkpoint
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
noelberrier wrote:
I read most of the rules topics but cornering still seems unclear to me, all the most because 3M and AH rules are so different regarding this point.

1. I assume you can accelerate as much as you want after the first stop in the corner. (cornering rules 1&5)

yes, but the acceleration can cause an additional penalty if the exceedance of the speed limit increases.
noelberrier wrote:
2. If you change lane you must "comply with the new speed or be penalized". I assume that you cancel previous penalty already incured, then incure new penalty, but I am not sure. (cornering rule 2)
yes, you can see it this way, if the new speed limit is lower.
noelberrier wrote:
3. If you cannot follow the arrow during the turn you enter the corner, I guess you treat this as if you change lane: recompute penalty with 20 mph lesser speed limit. (not adressed)
yes
noelberrier wrote:
4. If you cannot follow the arrow during the next turn, I assume you also recompute penalty incured during the previous turn. (not adressed)
yes

A car incurs penalties per corner, not per move, space or lane.
It does not make a difference if the car takes only one move or more moves/turns for passing the corner. According to the 3M rules a car may accelerate if starting a move in a corner.
If a car exceeds the posted corner speed at any time while moving through the corner a penalty is imposed. The kind/level of penalty depends on the highest speed limit exceedance in the whole corner.
If a car follows an arrow completely the speed limit is 20 mph higher. If it leaves the arrow before its end the normal speed limit applies.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berthold Nüchter
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
I am the walrus
badge
checkpoint
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
noelberrier wrote:

When computing your wear expense I wonder wether you cancel or not what is already expended: if you travel at 120 in a 100 corner, you expend 1 wear. If you change lane the next turn in the same corner, in a 80 square, do you expend 2 more wear, or only one more (one having been expended before)?

only one more
noelberrier wrote:
Same question if you follow the arrow at +40 (1 wear), then quit the arrow (still being +40,but penalty is now 2 wear: 1 more, or 2 more ?)

only one more
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles CORDIER
France
MONTIGNY SUR ARMANCON
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for this detailed answer!

I really like the 3M rules, and this is the way I wanted to play them. The turn is just a check point that you must pass at a given speed, or suffer one penalty for the worse overall combination of speed/speed limit during the turn.

I also love Formule Dé, but the cornering rules does not really suits me as you can follow another car and totally miss the corner while the other car brilliantly pass it. The AH rules has a similar weakness if I understand correctly. Having to stop at a given point in the corner at the end of the turn makes the artificial turn by turn play too important.
The 3M rules does lower this one square death or life effect, because the position of the corner in your turn does not matter. You just have to comply with the speed limit once.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.