BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: How do you resist the lure of the free shipping? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
I wear my Halloween costume all year round!
mbmbmbmbmb
You know the story: that new game you've been waiting for has finally been released, and there's a special card in the first printing only. The game costs $17.

So you fill your cart with all the other stuff that you know you'll buy eventually, and it's still only $70.

How do you resist throwing in some other game that you've been meaning to try someday, to reach that shiny $100 free-shipping threshold? It seems so wasteful to spend $8 on shipping for a single item. And yet your shelves are already full of games that you want to play, so there's really no need for another.

There is no FLGS, and the game isn't listed on Amazon.

(I know there's not really anything to do but wait, so I'm just looking for support in this difficult time )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Phelps
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
They call me Troll; Gnawer of the Moon, Giant of Gale-blasts, Curse of the Rain-Hall, Companion of the Sibyl, Nightroaming Hellion, Swallower of the Loaf of Heaven. What is a Troll but that?
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't.

I ALWAYS go for the free shipping.

So, go ahead and join the Darkside...You know you want to...

P.S. Do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could this $17 game be Seasons: Path of Destiny?

If the only thing you really wanted was that (or whatever game it really is) and the games that get you to $70 are games you may or may not want and may or may not play, I woudl just buy the game, and pay the shipping this one time. It's not worth it to buy $80 of game to get free shipping when even with shipping the total may be $30.

If you do want the games that get you to $70, then yah, find something to get you the $30, preferably something "hot" so you can sell/trade it later
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rueben the sandwich
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Set a budget for your fun money.

Spend within that budget.

coolBe ok with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Email your friends: "I'm putting in a CSI order, pulling the trigger at 10pm. Let me know if you want in."

Getting to $100 is easy that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Thur
Germany
Weitersburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ask some friends if they'd like to order something, too. Hey, free shipping!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Gruber
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the budgeting thing, wait until you have a good wishlist going and the $100 to spend, then it doesn't matter.

My usual online store doesn't offer free shipping but the prices are so good, I really don't mind just getting a couple games and paying $10 for shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Hehe, yes, that is precisely the game

We do want the other games that would get us to $70, so it's just that last $30 that's an issue. I like the suggestion about asking friends if there's anything they want—I think that may be the solution!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunyazad wrote:
Quote:

Hehe, yes, that is precisely the game :D

We do want the other games that would get us to $70, so it's just that last $30 that's an issue. I like the suggestion about asking friends if there's anything they want—I think that may be the solution!

Whenever I do they they hum and haw for a month before finally saying 'nope'.

Typically when Hot Game has just sold out. Save even more than just shipping with this method!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be sure to give them a time limit, while obsessively following the number of copies available
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm at the point where I'll look at all the crap in my cart, realize I just purged a ton of stuff I don't play, and only by the 17 dollar thing I was there for in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
mbmbmb
What do you mean by 'resist'?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group of friends ALWAYS combines orders. No one ever spends $100 all by themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you do this, do you ever end up with games that sit on your shelf unplayed and that you aren't even that excited to have when they show up? You know the type-- oh, I can't even remember why that sounded fun, oh well, maybe someday somebody will really want to play it.

I have a few of those. And they cost more than $8. So I tell myself, your choice is:

- $8 on shipping; get the game you really want soon.
- $20+ on games that will just make you feel bad by sitting on the shelf.
- wait until there's $100 of games I reallyreally want.

The first is obviously a better deal than the second, and (comparing the first and third) I'm usually willing to pay $8 to get a game next week rather than waiting a month or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris SC

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just use Amazon. For most games it is within a few dollars of the cheaper game stores, but I can get free shipping (though I personally have prime so it makes that choice even easier).

If you don't buy dozens of games a year, this is a very easy way to not end up buying tons of games you may or may not play. If you are the guy buying all the games...well, just ask friends or decide what you really want (as others have said).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have my FLGS special order it for me and then buy it a week later with my 30% off discount and I don't pay any shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the shipping cost goes on my friend, where I buy all my games. He orders it to his store, I go pick up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Dunyazad wrote:
How do you resist throwing in some other game that you've been meaning to try someday, to reach that shiny $100 free-shipping threshold?

Simple: I don't buy games from game stores. I buy direct from the publisher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Hornung
United States
Mission
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
atomicteaspoon wrote:
Set a budget for your fun money.

Spend within that budget.

coolBe ok with that.

Then think twice and return to the dark side, it's more fundevil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Dunyazad wrote:
How do you resist throwing in some other game that you've been meaning to try someday, to reach that shiny $100 free-shipping threshold?

Simple: I don't buy games from game stores. I buy direct from the publisher.

The publishers I have bought from didn't offer free shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I pull out my credit card statement and look at the balance.

That seems to cure most purchases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pack
United States
flag msg tools
I don't resist it. I embrace it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Free shipping with already low pricing is something to use...

If you need no more games to fill that order up to 100...remember that someone you know, somewhere, will have a birthday coming up...

Games make terrific gifts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Hockin
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
One word: budget.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Our neighbor across the street, who is an engineer, planned some garden work and calculated that he needed 20 cubic feet of mulch, which he had delivered to his house.

I'm not sure what exactly what went wrong, but the garden center delivered 20 cubic yards of mulch. That's a big difference. With that amount of mulch dumped in his driveway, he couldn't get his car out of the garage. His daughters walked around to all the neighbors offering free mulch as long as we hauled it away.

Free shipping on lots of games you really don't want to play reminds me of that incident somehow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.