Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I introduced Myth to my group last night and wanted to jot down some thoughts for posterity and to bring a tiny bit of light to this forum. To prepare for the game I had read the rulebook this past weekend, read the excellent Un-official FAQ, and have been reading rules threads here. I didn't feel it was necessary to print off any of the PDF's Megacon Games provided on their site and the only one I read was the Myth narrative and the new intro Quest (which we didn't use).

We dove straight into the first Act of the first Story Quest. With four players, the Apprentice was the class we left out (I played the Brigand because I knew others may have confusion and I found the Shadows mechanic interesting).

I explained the basic rules and the common stats found on the cards (leaving out things until we got to them - like how to populate a tile or how Spawns/treasure work), and then explained each person's class out loud. I started with the Soldier and explained the Rage mechanic. I also explained how he always uses his stats from his main weapon, unless the card says Shield or Optional: Shield on it, in which case he uses his shield.

I then moved on to the Acolyte, in which I explained the Faith mechanic and explained how he uses his main weapon stats if the card says Range: Weapon, otherwise he uses his Relic.

Lastly, I explained the Archer/Quiver mechanic.

Then I explained to the entire group how the Optional card combo worked and talked briefly about the Brigand.

We started populating the first tile and I let the group choose a Trap over a Quest. The two traps we encountered this Act - Lightning Bolt and Fire Breath were easy enough to decipher that we didn't have any problems.

We kept things simple at first using a single Lair. When we hit the large tile second, we drew a Chapter Quest, which is when I explained how Quests work. We had to kill 20 minions and rescue 2 fighters, which we ended up accomplishing by the end.

The second tile is where things got interesting as we hit a threat penalty (the Darkness Event was reduce Threat penalty to 8) that caused Yardu to spawn. I nearly killed him with a very nice turn where I appeared next to him and hit him with two buffed attacks for 7 total damage (the -2 TN move modifiers on the card helped tremendously). Unfortunately I couldn't stay in Shadows on the second attack and with 15+ minions on the board I fell in the next turn. The Acolyte and Soldier would fall soon thereafter, being unable to deal with the swarms.

The Archer decided to run for it and ended up getting off the final tile into the Graveyard without dying. A well timed use of his card that fires the Scarecrow-like object that attracts monsters was huge. I believe technically, you probably need to clear the final tile of this quest to succeed, but we allowed him to run off as we were up against tremendous odds and it resulted in a good story (judgment calls like this seem to be a staple of the game).

General Thoughts

The hero classes having unique decks is what drew me to this game. I was not disappointed here. I was surprised how few problems we had deciphering the cards. Sure, I spent way more time reading up on issues than anyone should reasonably have to, and if we came in cold it would have been a hot mess. However, I still expected to have to look stuff up but we didn't really have to. Never once referred to the Hero card document.

As a group, we very much enjoyed the free-form decision making. Choosing what types and how many lairs, hunting packs, trap/quest, etc. We're a group of roleplayers and all were comfortable with advocating our own story and making decisions such as these. I think I actdually prefer this free-form element over a traditional structured method like Descent.

I really like the Chapter Quest element. I hope they release many more of these but this is just one of the best parts of the game IMO. It spices up encounters by offering unpredictability and will keep things fresh - until you run out of Quests at least. I think the whole chain thing is clever too (albeit frustrating to those who will be missing out on the Kickstarter Quests).

Fate Dice are very interesting. The recipe system is great. I hope we see tons of variety there going forward. Would love to see Fate Dice recipes appear on ongoing cards (say you put down an Ongoing Acolyte card that has its own recipe, allowing you to use it whenever you attack).

I also very much enjoy the randomness of everything. This will aggravate some people, but I absolutely loved the Darkness card that spawned Yardu. Surprises, crazy unknown events, those are what make games memorable for me. It makes we want to get back out there and see what crazy stuff will happen next. Excited to see the new content in wave 2.

I'm excited for where Myth is going. I hope they get the rulebook cleaned up ASAP. I hope those of you looking forward to the game don't get discouraged by the amount of work it currently requires to really understand it. It is a very unique game that will have elements that will not appeal to large segments of the gaming population (especially the level of decision making it demands in terms of structure and setting up of tiles). I think this could definitely settle in my top 20, but I will need many more plays before I'm willing to commit to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kingery
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for posting this. I am reading the rulebook now and can't wait to dive into the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian St. Pierre
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Played my first 4 player game last night. I thought it would be cool to try and run the first story quest. I think the set up for that quest makes the Archer worthless. Everybody else was having fun learning the comobo's but My buddy was bored to tears because you NEED the bow and quiver to do anything substantial.
House ruled for No rest for the Weary
Select 1 starting item and Select 1 green item. Then I would just beef up the following 12X12 tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To fix the Archer thing I took a Bow with my Brigand and gave it to the Archer and ran weaponless for the Brigand for the first tile. We pulled a merchant after clearing the tile that let me buy a dagger and I was good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian St. Pierre
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Over all I think the Archer needs some cooler cards. Poison, Acid, Fire, Ice, Net arrows. Maybe synergies with other classes. Something to make him a little more dynamic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
MrGurbic wrote:
Over all I think the Archer needs some cooler cards. Poison, Acid, Fire, Ice, Net arrows. Maybe synergies with other classes. Something to make him a little more dynamic.

Her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Check my YouTube channel "Boardgame Heaven"!
badge
Feel free to geekmail me about reviews, or if you need a microbadge designed. * Click the yellow microbadge for discounted microbadges!! *
mbmbmbmbmb
Jude wrote:
MrGurbic wrote:

Her.
there's also a male ranger. All classes have both genders as a miniature. Which is awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Brehm
msg tools
mbmb
MrGurbic wrote:
Played my first 4 player game last night. I thought it would be cool to try and run the first story quest. I think the set up for that quest makes the Archer worthless. Everybody else was having fun learning the comobo's but My buddy was bored to tears because you NEED the bow and quiver to do anything substantial.
House ruled for No rest for the Weary
Select 1 starting item and Select 1 green item. Then I would just beef up the following 12X12 tile.

There's an errata that says you can store one arrow without a quiver. Doesn't help for Tears, but everything else is ok. IIRC, when I played this, I picked the quiver, though, because it let me pull out some 'useless' cards from the deck until I found a bow.

EDIT : Or maybe we just houseruled it so the archer got a quiver and a bow for his brown....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.